Hobby King Mini Skywalker - FPV Build

bmsweb

Site Moderator

Well Done Man!! I think you deserve a prize or something :D

Thomas came up with the name for this model. Not sure how accurate this it, but he told me Klingon's don't have words for Hello and Goodbye. On greeting and departing they use the word Qapla which is basically wishing them Success. So hence its called Success 01.

Will edit the video when I get home and upload it :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I just did a search and this one looks hard to find! The Klingon to English Dictionary I searched didn't have it. Will have to forward this one to the Klingon Expert Thomas :eek:

Dang, I got it wrong! It was meant to be majQa! The site where I read it was written like this: majQa' so sorry for that.

I'm personally more into the Stargate franchise - so I'd like to fly an RC alkesh someday.

bmsweb

Site Moderator

BTW: I'm also a Stargate fan :) Mind you I've missed a whole heap of episodes

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

BTW: I'm also a Stargate fan :) Mind you I've missed a whole heap of episodes

HAHAHA I have downloaded the whole SG-1 series. 128 GB in all 10 seasons + First movie + Ending movies.

Haven't moved into the newer Atlantis/Universe episodes - Seems like they're not as good.

I've started on 48 GB of MacGyver instead.

---

BTT: Did you get FPV footage of the Skywalker?

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I've started on 48 GB of MacGyver instead.

BTT: Did you get FPV footage of the Skywalker?

OMG MacGyver! I've made jokes about the show and Thomas is dying to see it. We ended up watching Star Trek Next Generation, followed by Deepspace 9, then Voyager and finally Enterprise! That's a lot of episodes lol May have to move on to SG-1 :)

No FPV Footage from the Skywalker because the Fatshark Camera wasn't all that great in low light. Having said that I did fly the Bixler using the $16HK camera and it was even darker by then and that went fine. The image just wasn't clear enough to risk flying it FPV :( I'm going to source a better small camera and have a go again.

Let me put it this way I think if it was nice and bright (not on Sunset) the FatShark Camera would have been OK.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Wow! So do you know what the translation for Qapla is?

In this situation I would say "Success" would be the most appropriate translation rather than farewell or goodby as some of its other uses.

Well I see after scrolling to the top of the page that my post landed on that I did not look at first that colorex beat me to it.

I started on Star Trek with the original airing of the series. MY dad got cable TV just for the occasion. Before that we always had marginal TV off the air. My first date with my wife to be was to see Star Trek the Motion Picture.

Thurmond

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
OMG MacGyver! I've made jokes about the show and Thomas is dying to see it. We ended up watching Star Trek Next Generation, followed by Deepspace 9, then Voyager and finally Enterprise! That's a lot of episodes lol May have to move on to SG-1 :)

Tips for watching SG-1 (sorry for feeding the offtopic)

Watch the Stargate 1994 movie first of all - it gives you a nice introduction.
Don't skip episodes. It's much nicer if you follow the storyline.
Do skip the episode: Season 2: "One False Step" - I found it annoying, uninteresting, with a silly plot.

Let me put it this way I think if it was nice and bright (not on Sunset) the FatShark Camera would have been OK.

I'll put that in my knowledge base - "Sony camera better in low light than FatShark camera."

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thurmond,

Yes you have the meaning too! Well Done. Fingers crossed I want this little project to be a huge success :) Good to see there are a few Trekkies here. My wife was a big fan of The Next Generation :) and Thomas is crazy over Star Trek :)

Colorex,

I have no problems with going off topic at all and I can't stand forum boards were they are hung up on that. The forum is for like minded people to share and communicate with each other and from what I can see here its all good :)

Thomas and I will take your advice on board with the exception of Season 2: "One False Step" . . now that you say that I have to see it ;)

BTW: About to start uploading the video of the Mini Skywalker Maiden - You see me doing an incredible job of How NOT to trim an Aircraft lol

bmsweb

Site Moderator
OK here is the video of the maiden! I may still try out the FS Camera during the day to see how it goes.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yay, that sure was some trimming you did :)

I just love how "drone-y" it looks in the air with the T-tail and that stuff :) I must have one someday :D

I can only say: Qapla' :D

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Ha ! I recognize such 'trimming incidents' ..
Very good maiden, even in such wind.
Didn't you miss the rudder at all ?
Mark.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Yes Colorex no two ways about it, it was a very Qaplaful flight maiden. I have a feeling it will become one of my favorite models, it looks incredibly Drone-Y in the air. I might get Thomas to video it next time with the Canon 60D instead of the iPhone.

Mark, I think I was way too confident and I decided I was special and only needed .5 mistakes height to trim it. I caught it in time but it could have easily hit the deck. After commiting to painting it, I would have been pretty annoyed if I broke or scratched it due to my own stupidity.

As far as the rudder goes I didn't miss it at all. It would have been nice for turning to throw in a little bit of rudder but it works fine. I just found I needed to bank a little more and apply more up elevator than normal, but it handled the wind fine. If you have a look at the 3 low passes I did for the camera, I brought it in close and low enough for Thomas to video it and kept the speed down, yet it tracked perfectly and I felt in 100% control.

The model itself gets the 100% Thumbs up, no two ways about it.

Remember if you go without rudder you can always add it later on if you feel you need it.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Successful FPV Flight with this Little BEAST!!!! I loved it, sorry I LOVED IT

Since this video, I've made a new Camera mount that is more rigid and balanced out the prop, which is reduces camera vibration. I also swapped out the ESC to an RCTimer which is causing a lot less issues with the Video. I can confirm flight times with this model in its current configuration is around 30-40 minutes. Also the 100mw FatShark video system works really well with Clover Leaf Antenna.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Nice! You seem to have quite a lot of throw on that little plane... But it looks like it flies quite high alpha? Is that the way it's meant to fly?

bmsweb

Site Moderator
No that was me having trouble working out airspeed etc I had too little throttle on and I may have been trying to hold a little more altitude. Its really different without the security of an OSD. So no idea of speed etc. At least you know it takes a bit to stall it lol

I flew it yesterday and I'm guessing it must have been 100m high. At that altitude sometimes it was hard to tell if I was making good progress forward into the wind. I think all that will just take some time and getting use to. I really don't want to put an OSD on this model if I don't have to.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
No that was me having trouble working out airspeed etc I had too little throttle on and I may have been trying to hold a little more altitude. Its really different without the security of an OSD. So no idea of speed etc. At least you know it takes a bit to stall it lol

I flew it yesterday and I'm guessing it must have been 100m high. At that altitude sometimes it was hard to tell if I was making good progress forward into the wind. I think all that will just take some time and getting use to. I really don't want to put an OSD on this model if I don't have to.

I thought so. I would be afraid of stalling my Bixler - if I ever get some FPV gear down here.