Hobby People p-51 Mustang upgrade

metalman

Hey everyone,
I am looking to upgrade my HP P-51. Faster is the keyword of the day.
I was hoping someone can recommend a engine and ecs that will work well with the plane. I am assuming I may need to strengthen the wings. But I did find metal tubing used for the wing servos. Wondering if that will work as is.

All your feedback is welcomed.

Thanks
David

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Ok David now the ? Is how much faster do you want to go. And what batterys do you have you plan to use or are willing to upgrading them too

metalman

Hey Jay,
well I wold like to increase the speed by 100%. Doubling the current stock engine speed. To me that would allow me to adjust my throat at whatever I like during flight in stead of full power it's currently set to during flight. I am willing to change to a bigger battery but I think the fuselage ma not be able to accept a wider battery.

Here is the motor that is currently installed
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/hp-parts-motor-p51d-brushless-760kv-3s-4s.html

Last edited:

jayz 84

Well i can give you two great setup for 3s or 4s batterys that can give you 50 to 100mph depend on you battery and prop setup

MOTOR - Tacon Big Foot 10 1100kv 1100w
PROP - 10x10 APC
ESC - 80a esc
BATTERY - 2000mah and 3000mah 4S or3s
SPEEDS 60 TO 100mph

MOTOR - NTM 35-36_1800kv
PROP - 8x8 APC
ESC - 70a esc
BATTERY - 2000mah and 3000mah 3s only
Speeds up to 70mph

This is two very strong and fast setups. Now it you think thats to much i can give you something slower

metalman

Jay
I think what you have given me is perfect. I really appreciate your help today.
I will stick with the 3 cell because of the amount of bats I have already purchased.

Thanks!

jayz 84

Jay
I think what you have given me is perfect. I really appreciate your help today.
I will stick with the 3 cell because of the amount of bats I have already purchased.

Thanks!

No prob man. But if your putting this on a allready made P51 your going to have to be easy on hard turns. The foam spars wont take it nor pulling out of hard dives. Now if this is a build you are doing now i would highly recommend useing a aluminum spar. That you can get from home depot. There strips of 4ft x3mm thick and 1/2 inch wide CAM00478.jpg this is a picture giving you a idea how its installed. This is the best idea but there are others. If you want any more info on doing this just let me know

amtpdb1

p51 hp

Hi:
Could you tell me what you did with the battery? To balance it the battery would have to be so far forward you can't attach it. Did you cut a hole in the top?
Thanks