Hobbyking's J-3 Balsa Kit .. Question???

BanditJacksRC

I want to start my first balsa build, and was wondering if anybody knows anything about this kit from hobbyking.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ser_Cut_Kit_1180mm_inc_glazing_cowl_KIT_.html

J-3 Balsa HK.jpg

I am not the best pilot, and have only flown FT Foamies as of right now, but figured this would be a good one to get into..

Please share your thought!

Thanks!
~BanditJack

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
From what I have read, that is among the worst of HK's kits as far as the flying experience, tending to wander in trim, and can have a violent tipstall. I would actually recommend printing out some plans and scratch building something like a Das Ugly Stick. They are easy to build, fly awesome, and are great trainers when set up correctly. I have a build over view of an ugly stick on the forum from a year ago, and it was my first build, It flew great, despite my building skills. :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Welcome to the Dark Side! :) I don't have an opinion on the HK J-3 Cub, but someday I'm sure I'll build it. In the meantime, my opinion on a first balsa build is different than Foam Addict's, in that I don't recommend building from scratch for your first build (or even second build for that matter). Instead, my recommendation is to spend a little more and get a proven kit which has been around for a while, that many many people have completed and flown successfully. With any of the HK kits you often are left out on an island with little support. The instructions are horrible at best. The quality of the balsa and laser cutting is suspect. And the flight characteristics are questionable.

But the kits are cheap, so it's easy to get duped into buying one.

Then you spend more time and effort trying to figure out how to build it because of the lack of instructions, you end up buying parts you didn't know you'd need. You spend extra time sanding and test-fitting and living with sloppy part fit because the cutting wasn't done well.

Instead, I say spend a couple bucks more and get a good kit from a trusted manufacturer, one that you can get help with as needed. There are a lot of them to choose from, such as Mountain Models (one of my favorite companies - check out their Switchback or Dandy kits). You'll pay more - their kits start around $50 or so, but what you get is worth it for a first build.

As an example, I recently built the Mountain Models Dandy for my dad. It was a very easy build which took me about 3 days total. Most of that time was waiting for glue to dry since I don't use CA glue. The kit came with a 9 page instruction manual, full 8-1/2" x 11" paper printed on both sides with ENGLISH text and tons of pictures. Pushrods, velcro, wheels, landing gear wire, etc were all included. I needed to supply the covering, covering iron, pushrod ends, and electronics. The crazy thing with that kit is that I didn't have to sand anything until I was almost ready to do the covering! The parts simply fit as they should with no extra effort from me. I've also built their Switchback and Lucky ACE kits and all were top quality kits. All perform exactly as they should and get a lot of use. The Lucky ACE has 122 flights with over 16 hours of flight time while the Switchback has 96 flights and 13 hours of flight.

By comparison, I've got 6 Hobby King balsa kits including 2 which are currently under construction. I find them a challenge due to the problems I've listed above. But I still keep building the dang things, and I don't know why! Probably because I'm CHEAP.

Three basic things to consider: 1. A good quality kit will probably be quicker to build, meaning you stand a better chance of completing it. 2. A good quality kit will look better with less work. 3. A good quality kit will require a smaller investment in tools to complete it.

BanditJacksRC

The instructions are horrible at best.

Yeah I saw the "Instructions" that had been included with the Cessna thread that you had posted. I sure did get a good laugh reading that one! I looks like it was originally written in Chinese then somebody just copied and pasted it into Google Translate, haha.

I greatly appreciate both of your inputs.

Althought I do immensly enjoy to do complete scratch builds, I agree that it's probably not best for the first couple builds.
I will check out your suggestions and give one of 'em a shot.

Look out for the upcoming thread!

Thanks again!

~Bandit Jack

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The big thing is getting a kit you'll be able to finish reasonably easily. There are too many planes out there which get started but never get finished.

I look forward to the build thread!

MikeBg

Does anyone have more build pictures of the HK J3 cub?? I have the ones posted on HK but I still have questions on how things go. I just finished the Cessna 182 build and learned lots from that but I wanted to build another one while the lessons learned are still fresh.
The J3 kit isn't as good as the Cessna kit. To start with it doesn't come with any hardware, screws, pushrods, or landing gear. The laser was stopped in small places so each part has to be cut, but I think that is by design. They don't number any of the parts, instead there is a picture of all the boards with a letter and number. Problem is the picture is so bad you need a magnifying glass is make them out. The kit leaves a lot for the builder to figure out, and that's part of the fun but it is also a problem. Thing that is most troubling is the wing. The Cessna kit was designed so that the dihedral was forced to the correct angle, but with the J3 kit it is up to the builder and they don't even tell you how much. The Cessna is 1 inch at the wing tip so I guess I'll go with that.

Thanks for any help.
MikeBg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The trick I use for the wing is to take all of the parts and group them with other identical parts. Then I take the groups and split them in half so that the left and right wing each has the same parts. From there, I line up what I KNOW is right, followed by what I THINK is right. Some trial & error later and the parts all start to fall into place.

Noob

I agree with Joker. My first balsa build was the HK Cloud Dancer. The instructions were terrible and most of it was looking at the picture to try and figure out how it went together. The words on the 3 pages were useless.

I am really glad to hear about Mountain Models as I am waiting for my first Mountain Models kit to arrive.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I think the scratchbuilt ugly stick is probably the best option here... Yes, it takes more time as you have to cut the pieces out, but it's cheap, and you can choose what aerofoil you like for a trainer, which if you put a Clark-Y on and a little dihedral, it would make for a very steady aircraft. Also the Ugly Stick has a huge rudder making it perfect to practice those coordinated turns with. Also, the Clark-Y aerofoil is very forgiving as in if you don't get it absolutely perfect it will still fly great. If you add ailerons remember to use differential with that aerofoil though, or use the offset servos for mechanical differential as Josh explained in one of the videos once.

One thing to counteract the time invested in building, imagine the satisfaction you get from seeing something you have built entirely by hand flying like it's supposed to!!

On a sidenote, I may be a little biased here, as I am a devoted balsa scratchbuilder, never been keen on kits... just something to keep in mind.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I understand your love of scratchbuilding, as I enjoy it too. But I'm still convinced the best route for someone trying it for the first time is a kit. It gives them a good chance to see what it's all about with less fuss and gives them the best chance at finishing the kit and flying it.

You've got to learn to walk before you can run! :)

MikeBg

Thanks for the input. I guess I am using the trick Joker talks about in a little different way. I started with the fuselage, then what ever parts are left must be wing parts.
As far as scratch building goes, I was thinking about building an ugly stick but in the end decided I am not ready for that just yet. I like as much detail in models as possible and kits usually give you that.

MikeBg

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Ugly Stick is an easy one to first scratchbuild, seeing as all the ribs are the same size, and the fuselage is a simple box with a tail, nothing hard to worry about...

Guess I learned running back in the 80's before walking existed on a mass market in this country hehehehe

MikeBg

Happy New Year to all.
Here are some updates on the J3 cub. I plan to start covering today, this will be my first try.

PC250140.JPG PC250143.JPG PC310148.JPG PC310150.JPG

This is my 3rd try at balsa and I have to say I learned a lot from the experts here.

MikeBG

BanditJacksRC

Wow your cub looks great.
Did you get the covering completed?
I still really want to build this kit one day. but will probably wait untill I have a little more balsa experience under my belt.
Probably going to start with a scratch build stick.. Mainly for the simplicity. I know its not best to do a complete scratchbuild on your first go, but I love to build.. so I'm going for it!

MikeBg

Covering is almost done, waiting on wheels from HK. Its not such a bad kit for what you get. But there are a lot of things you don't get. Had to build the landing gear and motor mount from scratch.

P1080151.JPG

P1080153.JPG

MikeBg