How are you getting to Flite Fest?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm driving. I tried flying last year, and it was a disaster. I got the the airport early, very early. Flights were delayed. For hours. I finally got to my layover, and more delays. The rest of the day, into the evening, and then they told us flights were cancelled.

I spent the night in Nashville, and finally got a mid morning flight into Akron.

So, this year I'm taking the road. Maybe it's not the best idea, but if it's going to take me two days to get there, might as well enjoy the ride.

Speaking of enjoying the ride, I've got a few things I'll be doing to improve my comfort and enjoyment of the travel portion of the trip.

I'll be listening to podcasts, and audio books. I'll have a cooler of snacks and drinks in the passenger seat, and most importantly, I'm detouring through the mountains so I can relax during my time away from work.

How are you getting to Flite Test, and what are you doing to make it a memorable part of the trip?

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
My wife and I are driving the 13+ hours from the Kansas City area. Breaking it up over 2 days stopping the first night in Indianapolis doing some sightseeing along the way. Finish up the drive for a half day in Canton. May stop by Furey field Tuesday evening to see where the volunteers are camping so I know about where we will be.

This trip for me isn't about the journey there, but the fellowship and memories that will be made with the friends I have there and the new ones I am sure to meet. After last year leaving early Sunday morning and missing all of the Sunday festivities, I will not let that happen this year. Will be there to help clean up and tear down.

This is my second large fly in, or whatever you want to call it with FTFF 2014 being the first. I do not ever want to miss one of these. I am 51 years old and it was the most fun I have ever had in one place for sure. People are amazing, and the atmosphere cannot compare to anything I have ever attended.

If you miss this, you have missed out.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Driving out after work on Thursday (OK... I'm skipping out early). It is only about 4 hours from here. I plan to load the trailer and check/double check everything so I can roll out at lunch, gas up the jeep, hook up the trailer, and roll.

Looks like the camera girl is sitting this one out so I'll be flying solo. Probably for the best as she is NOT a happy camper if the thermostat goes much above 80. This year I hope to have the campsite setup (pop-up, 2 man tent, and workstation/groundstation rigged) before dark so I can get up early and start either volunteering or flying first thing.

Really excited!

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Me my my dad and family are leaving out thursday morning, getting there from raleigh at 4ish, going to kirtland, and starting it off on friday.

Ooh, quick question (sorry wrong thread) for volunteering, it has to get approved, and thus takes a little while for confirmation, correct??

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ooh, quick question (sorry wrong thread) for volunteering, it has to get approved, and thus takes a little while for confirmation, correct??

Are you Darrin, or Matthew? Those are the only two emails in my inbox that I haven't replied to yet.

abieex

Mentor
Since I live pretty close I have decided to hitch hike wearing only my red speedos and neon yellow ball cap. This will allow me to display the large flying monkey tattoo on my back. I will also be carrying drinks and snacks! See you all there.

RichB

I've got one car in the shop and am seriously considering renting a car for my trip from Central NY.

I wouldn't mind getting a ride with anyone who is passing through. Will gladly chip in my gas. Is there a rideshare board somewhere on here? I looked but didn't see one.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Driving from Yuma to Phoenix, then flying to Cleveland, staying with my family for about a week then bringing them (my parents as well as my sister, her husband and their little boy) along with my wife and daughter for Friday with me my wife and daughter tent camping to stay Saturday as well. Then Sunday we have to leave to pack up and reverse the whole thing starting EARLY on Monday.

Looks like my hex and knuckle quad will fit in my carry on after partial disassembly, along with my TX, goggles, spare props and some servos/motor/esc to build something there for combat. Ordered some fresh batteries and having them shipped to my parents house since my current batteries are in a bit rough of shape for me to feel safe shipping them or bringing them on a plane with me. Hopefully the new ones don't get abused too badly over two days and I'll feel safe bringing the back with me :D Or maybe I'll make someone a deal on them if I decide I don't want to hassle with getting them back to AZ ;)

Just need to make it through a few more days of work.....

mjcp

I shall be walking... my ETA is FF 2025

:black_eyed:

Enjoy, hope to make it one day!

mjcp

mactek

I will be driving out from NJ on Thursday. My parents and brother live about an hour away from FF. So I will staying with them. Unfortunately because of work schedules i will only be able to attend on Friday. I will have to drive back to NJ on Saturday. Can't wait to meet everyone. I also have some other friends that will be making the trek from Jersey.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
My daughter and I took the mountain route through WV last year to FF14. She was able to add a few more states to her visited list and took pictures at the rest areas/welcome centers with her Flat Juliette (Girl Scout version of Flat Stanley).

I'm detouring through the mountains so I can relax during my time away from work
Don't forget to bring some money for toll roads!

This year we will go the more direct route via my wife's larger car, as the Prius was a bit cramped. Though it was nice to have the power source from the Prius. We will be doing audiobooks and podcasts (FliteTest, CrashCast, Dave Ramsey). Plenty of snacks also.

Plan on arriving Wednesday afternoon to set up camp and be ready to volunteer as needed.;)

CartCurt

The wife and I will be leaving in our truck with our popup camper early Wednesday morning from Dayton, Ohio. Hope to get setup fast and be ready to help out in any way needed. Missed last year's event, so I have been looking forward to this for almost a year. Hope to make this an annual vacation destination.

Corbarrad

My plane will (hopefully) arrive at CAK on late monday afternoon. I've already booked a rental car and a room to stay in up until wednesday.
I hope to hit the local mall for some camping gear on tuesday, so I'll be prepared for camping out over the rest of the week.
Sunday evening will see me back at the airport on my way home.
I've got layovers in Paris and Detroit. Too bad the Yankee Air Museum is closed on mondays would have been a nice way to spend those 5 hours...

rossmort

Driving from Des Moines, IA. One tip regarding podcasts and audio books is to bump up the speed. I can cram a lot of content in running things 1.5 to 2x depending on the reader/ podcast. The apps (podcast addict / Smart audiobook player) I use also can skip through any silence which helps as well.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Wow, this going to be fun for Malvern. A bunch of crazy people driving in within a couple days. Not to mention all the attention it will gather from people in Malvern/nearby Furey Field.