How can I build my own transmitter remote?

genjix

24899(1).jpg

Are there any guides on building our own transmitter controllers DIY?

Thanks

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I'd imagine that you would buy a super cheap transmitter and then input the pots from the gimbals into a computer like an Arduino and then output them from the computer back into the transmitter. Setting up the Arduino, I have no idea.

I'm thinking about doing something similar. I have the Hobby King T6a programming transmitter, but I hate having to use my laptop to change settings.

But it all really depends on what you're looking for in a transmitter. Personally I'm more interested in combining two 4 channel radios into one 8 channel radio. Three standard gimbals and a couple of switches.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Can I ask why? Depending on what you are trying specifically to achieve (save money, add specific features etc) I can see the answers being very different. Do you intend to build just the controller (gimbals, switches, etc) or the electronics (this would be a huge undertaking and radio transmission is heavily regulated by FCC).

DamoRC

bitogre

Are there any guides on building our own transmitter controllers DIY?

Thanks

Ummm... Unless you have a HAM radio license, you cannot legally build the actual transmitter module from scratch. Even then, I would not recommend it unless you have significant RF experience. You can use an existing RF module from an existing radio or a JR module RF module.

I'd imagine that you would buy a super cheap transmitter and then input the pots from the gimbals into a computer like an Arduino and then output them from the computer back into the transmitter. Setting up the Arduino, I have no idea.

I would recommend looking at specifically an Arduino Due or a Teensy 3.1. I'd also recommend designing it to be compatible with OpenTX for the firmware so that you are not writing it completely from scratch.

I'm thinking about doing something similar. I have the Hobby King T6a programming transmitter, but I hate having to use my laptop to change settings.

But it all really depends on what you're looking for in a transmitter. Personally I'm more interested in combining two 4 channel radios into one 8 channel radio. Three standard gimbals and a couple of switches.

Sorry, but you cannot combine two 4 channel transmitters to make a transmitter that will work with a single 8 channel RX. If you are willing to also have two 4 channel RXs in the aircraft, that can work but I see that being a lot more trouble than it is worth.

I guess the bottom line is why do you want to do this? If you are doing this for the learning experience or build just the way you want it, then it cost does probably not matter and you should do it. Taking a current non-computerize TX and making it computerize of the same # of channels is probably reasonable and may be able to do it for less cost than just buying a Turnigy 9X. Anything more, you may be better off with a Turnigy 9X or 9XR to tinker with. Or, just go with a Taranis. But with radios as cheap as the Turnigy 9X or 9XR and Taranis, it is hard to do a TX that will save you money and so it may not sense unless you have other reasons.

I hope this helps. If you are still interested in doing this, I am happy to provide any assistance I can. But first, make sure you understand why you are doing it and what you expect to accomplish to ensure it can be done within the desired goals.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Sorry, but you cannot combine two 4 channel transmitters to make a transmitter that will work with a single 8 channel RX. If you are willing to also have two 4 channel RXs in the aircraft, that can work but I see that being a lot more trouble than it is worth.

I know that I would need two receivers. I don't know about the original poster, but I thought a cheap 8 channel radio would be nice (I wasn't going to make it computerized at all) and I would likely only use 4 channels for most of my planes. Just a few planes/projects would actually require two receivers. I would probably add quick connects so I can easily change which pot is which channel. Not super easy to customize then, but still easy to change the set up. (Then 3 channel planes could also have a switch for bomb drop just by switching which pot is plugged in where. It would still only be 4 channels.)