How do I start?

hello183

I want to learn flying but I want to learn how to build with balsa more than that. I had some cool ideas but before making my own designs, I wanted to build a kit first and see for myself the shape of an airplane, so I can use the techniques to design something well. So I did some research and I found the stevens aero square one. It is a 1.5 meter motor powered sailplane and I think that it would be a good airplane to start with. Is this a bad choice? Should I start with something else? I'd like it to be some sort of sailplane though. Also motor assisted would be better so I don't need to worry about launching it in my case.

checkerboardflyer

The Stevens Aero Square One is a good first choice. It’s a laser cut kit so the pieces will fit together like a 3D puzzle. There is another Stevens model that could be a good choice called the Quick Oats. Both have excellent build manuals. What’s missing in both of them is any instruction on how to cover the models. But there is a good YouTube video that you may want to watch. The guy in the video is building and explaining how to assemble the Quick Oats. At about 18:30 in the video he begins explaining covering. It sounds like you’ve never covered a model airplane before, so you may benefit from watching it. Good luck on your build! This is a rewarding hobby. Lot’s of fun and you’ll meet some new modeling buddies. In case you ever decide to try building foam board models, visit my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/gVlqx3nu6vo

Quick Oats Product Page: https://www.stevensaero.com/product/quickoats-250/

hello183

I made some more progress on the fuselage today. Its design is pretty different than others. I don't want to do modifications for now but the plans say hitec hs35 servos. But those really expensive. I have some cheaper servos called sg90 servos. I could cut basswood sticks across the fuselage and mount the servos inline if they don't fit side to side. Should I go with that? The sg90 servos are 9g and the hitec hs35 are 4.5g I think so it would add some weight. I was also thinking about covering it with ultracote lite instead of aerolite because it is also cheaper. Has anybody built this airplane before? Could you tell me what you covered it with?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I made some more progress on the fuselage today. Its design is pretty different than others. I don't want to do modifications for now but the plans say hitec hs35 servos. But those really expensive. I have some cheaper servos called sg90 servos. I could cut basswood sticks across the fuselage and mount the servos inline if they don't fit side to side. Should I go with that? The sg90 servos are 9g and the hitec hs35 are 4.5g I think so it would add some weight. I was also thinking about covering it with ultracote lite instead of aerolite because it is also cheaper. Has anybody built this airplane before? Could you tell me what you covered it with?
I would check the torque requirements to see if your servos are up to the job, the Hitec 4.5g are metal gear and will take more punishment and weigh less. You may get away with using nylon gear 9g servos, but after hours of building a balsa plane is it worth the risk ?