How to help batteries under 0 degrees...

Bbjen

Hi everyone,

Does someone know what I could do to help the batteries on winter time. I want to fly but at -20 celcius it's a bit hard on the batteries...

Should I make a hot sleeve or anything similar?

tramsgar

Carry the batteries in your pants until ready to take off, maybe wrap them in something cozy wooly when mounting. Use batteries close to their C limit and the internal resistance will keep them warm. WOT will help. Happy flying!

(There's also the NASA way: add small pieces of plutonium close to the battery (don't carry the plutonium in your pants, tho).)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Chemical hand warmer (reusable eutectic salt type) in an insulated foil bubble-wrap bag with your batteries.

Thurmond

tramsgar

Chemical hand warmer (reusable eutectic salt type) in an insulated foil bubble-wrap bag with your batteries.

Thought about those too, but they're quite heavy and unstable (may be accidentally triggered in transport).

Why would you torment yourself in -20 anyways? It's building season...

MrClean

I flew cross country at -11F once. You do it because you can. At that time I was running NiCads and I just gave them a topping charge before I took off and let that warm the battery then spent the time worrying about my motor cooling off too much and just dieing. Full throttle was too fast and ate too much fuel. Below half throttle risked cooling off and just shutting off.

Did it again in the summer time with my trainer. Made the trip and did touch n go's on the runway for a bit till eventually just landing and calling it a day. Really helps to use the right plane but we were heavy into combat Gremlins that winter.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Winter is time for building and repairing - but also flying when time and weather is allowing.
Last X-mas was without any snow.
111224-01.JPG

But 2010 new year was a lot better.
101231-07.JPG

Bbjen

In Quebec, snow is already here so If I don't want to be building for the next 3 months, I'll fly anyway ;)

tramsgar

I guess I'll be "flying" a few mm above the snow once I've upgraded my toy hovercraft with insane lift power...