I am sad...

Jesse Dupreez

UMX are simply awesome, but I'm to new to the hobby to have any experience or applicable knowledge regarding them. I subsist simply by the awe I have when I watch videos of these being created and flown.

so why am I sad?

...because there is so little discussion, passion, enthusiasm and pursuit for / of and after them...
i love umx or EZ plane,i got a ez like one from alli ,it few so well and very hard to brake

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I'm hopeful for gym access, but very doubtful. all the schools have been instructed that no non-school related events are allowed due to extra time / labor required to clean up and sanitize once it's over. and there is a bit of a rift between the local group and the city administration. I was told the MAAC recognized site used to be reserved / rented at a non-profit friendly price and then the city decided they weren't making money, so jacked it up when the contract came up for renewal and the contract was not renewed. they still fly at the ballpark, but only when it's not in use and the weather lets it happen. and being able to get out and fly at any of the school fields or municipal parks is a no-no because all of our little city is covered by the three no-fly exclusion zones around our airports, hospital helipad and waterfront aerodrome / heliport. :p
We fly in a gym at a church that one of the field members belongs to.

TedD70

UMX are simply awesome, but I'm to new to the hobby to have any experience or applicable knowledge regarding them. I subsist simply by the awe I have when I watch videos of these being created and flown. So why am I sad?
...because there is so little discussion, passion, enthusiasm and pursuit for / of and after them...

You left out "information" and organized & knowledgeable sources for cost appropriate (!) electronic gear like receivers, servos, ESC and motors for 16 to 20 inch/35 to 70 gram a/c. I think most of the stuff Flite Test sells is for larger (20 to 28 inch) planes.

With the coming FAA regs, I think you are going to see more attention to 16 to 20 inch models.

Probably because UMX is usually on bind n fly models. As you see people here mainly build their own. Some people like @LitterBug have played around with umx modules salvaged from old or broken models. Others have sporadically done the same. Its old tech and proprietary. If you wanna catch up with the times look into the FT aura board. That's for big boy toys and can be used with any radio system.

So what's wrong with "bind and fly". I'm a builder and pretty much the only reason I buy "UMX ARF's" is for the gear. I just bought a Volantex 76-104 Sport Cub 500 pretty much for the 4 channel gear. I don't want to build or fly planes much beyond 16 to 20 inch. I have 5 gassers over 36 inch in my basement that I can't find places to fly now.

When folks were converting (and some still are) the old Guillows kits to RC, that would count as UMX.

This guy has several conversion builds.

This guy too ... but he also "converts" old "bind and fly" and chuck gliders into some very good models. Here's a 15" TBM Avenger from a Hobbyzone T-28: (CLICK HERE) He did a C130 that is FANTASTIC.

A while back I bought 5 or 6 Champ fuse's and wings. So far, I've carved them into a Bird Dog and am halfway done with a Beech A17F Staggerwing (the short stumpy one). On the drawing board is a Cessna O-2 and a Boeing YL-15 Scout.

My Dad started me building stick and tissue models back in the early 60's. The skills (and FUN) I got back then still work pretty well today.

Here’s my “umx” scout. It’s the same size as the mini scout but built with super light glue and I peeled a lot of the paper and it came in at 94 grams AUW. It flew absolutely fantastic.

I LOVE what you've done here ... and it's a great slow flyer!!! I would really like to see this scaled down to about 16-17 inch/40 grams ... and somebody selling the electronic gear to go with it. (HINT-HINT)

Looking over the parts for the Volantex Sport Cub, everything (from transmitter to extra props and batteries) needed to build that mini Scout would cost $70.00 plus shipping AND you could swap the receiver, ESC and motor into another plane if you'd like.

So anyways Marzipan ... don't be sad. Better days are coming.

Last edited: