I am sad...

Marzipan

UMX are simply awesome, but I'm to new to the hobby to have any experience or applicable knowledge regarding them. I subsist simply by the awe I have when I watch videos of these being created and flown.

so why am I sad?

...because there is so little discussion, passion, enthusiasm and pursuit for / of and after them...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
UMX are simply awesome, but I'm to new to the hobby to have any experience or applicable knowledge regarding them. I subsist simply by the awe I have when I watch videos of these being created and flown.

so why am I sad?

...because there is so little discussion, passion, enthusiasm and pursuit for / of and after them...

Probably because UMX is usually on bind n fly models. As you see people here mainly build their own. Some people like @LitterBug have played around with umx modules salvaged from old or broken models. Others have sporadically done the same. Its old tech and proprietary. If you wanna catch up with the times look into the FT aura board. That's for big boy toys and can be used with any radio system.

Marzipan

Probably because UMX is usually on bind n fly models. As you see people here mainly build their own. Some people like @LitterBug have played around with umx modules salvaged from old or broken models. Others have sporadically done the same. Its old tech and proprietary. If you wanna catch up with the times look into the FT aura board. That's for big boy toys and can be used with any radio system.

UMX is the acronym for Ultra Micro Extreme aircraft, no? not just the few RTF / BnF / ARF models out there. there is an enthusiastic niche in the RC aircraft hobby that always has something DiY in the works. Pintrest is excellent evidence of that, LoL!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
UMX is the acronym for Ultra Micro Extreme aircraft, no? not just the few RTF / BnF / ARF models out there. there is an enthusiastic niche in the RC aircraft hobby that always has something DiY in the works. Pintrest is excellent evidence of that, LoL!

Could be... I only seen the term used when people where having trouble with the electronics or were repurposing the electronics. So I assumed it was more about the flight modules. ehh learn somethin new every day. I don't do any of them social media things. The only social stuff I do online is post here or on my crappy you tube page. Other then that I avoid that stuff like the plague they are.

Anyways there are very few people here that actively post about them things for reasons that I stated earlier mainly.

CappyAmeric

Elite member

so why am I sad?

Unless there is stabilization (like in E-Flite BNF), UMX planes are very susceptible to even the slightest wind gust, just like the EZ type fliers.

Marzipan

Could be... I only seen the term used when people where having trouble with the electronics or were repurposing the electronics. So I assumed it was more about the flight modules. ehh learn somethin new every day. I don't do any of them social media things. The only social stuff I do online is post here or on my crappy you tube page. Other then that I avoid that stuff like the plague they are.

Anyways there are very few people here that actively post about them things for reasons that I stated earlier mainly.

there are next to a bazillion DiY UMX videos on the YT... ;)

Marzipan

it's true...most are not suitable to fly in a breeze, but like Mr_Stripes mentioned, there are some that can.

where we are, it's always windy and raining more often than not, so opportunities to go out and fly are few, so I'm hoping it can be arranged to go fly at one of the gym's by the civic center, when not in use.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
where we are, it's always windy and raining more often than not, so opportunities to go out and fly are few, so I'm hoping it can be arranged to go fly at one of the gym's by the civic center, when not in use.
That is what the umx planes excel at. I am working on tiny ft planes, progress has been temporarily halted but I should resume within 3 months. They should cost around 45$ apiece.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have a few UMX models, but they are not really outdoor friendly in all but the calmest of days. The UMX Night vapor and UMX Vapor lite are good examples of that. I used to have a Sport Cub S but it got run over and obliterated quite a few times back when we had indoor fly events at a giant indoor golf dome. Parts to repair it got to be more than a new one would be. I still have the elextronix from it and have a foamie to put them in, if I ever digg it out. Should really do that for indoor fly season which starts up in about two weeks. The UMX Turbo Timber is too fast for the gym where we do indoor flys during the winterish months when daylight is scarce, and the weather is not calm. I'm contemplating adding fpv to the night vapor for this winter. We didn't have any indoor fly's this past year. Here's a quickie video from one of my better Tiny Whoops until I can get some FPV vapor footage.

Footage of my UMX Turbo Timber surfing in 10-12 MPH Winds

Marzipan

That is what the umx planes excel at. I am working on tiny ft planes, progress has been temporarily halted but I should resume within 3 months. They should cost around 45$ apiece.

I'm hopeful for gym access, but very doubtful. all the schools have been instructed that no non-school related events are allowed due to extra time / labor required to clean up and sanitize once it's over. and there is a bit of a rift between the local group and the city administration. I was told the MAAC recognized site used to be reserved / rented at a non-profit friendly price and then the city decided they weren't making money, so jacked it up when the contract came up for renewal and the contract was not renewed. they still fly at the ballpark, but only when it's not in use and the weather lets it happen. and being able to get out and fly at any of the school fields or municipal parks is a no-no because all of our little city is covered by the three no-fly exclusion zones around our airports, hospital helipad and waterfront aerodrome / heliport. :p

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Lack of them discussing it here.
I think that it is because the ft group makes bigger airplanes vith bigger powertrains in general. As you get smaller the foam becomes harder to work with and foamboard airframes are pretty heavy in the small sizes, so they require more power=more weight. So not really umx style.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

so why am I sad?

I’m big time into UMX’s, I’ve got almost every model they’ve made, it’s become a slight problem… :LOL: I’ve got a big bag of umx boards, motors, servos, etc, and I’ve had fun making some scratch builds with them.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here’s my “umx” scout. It’s the same size as the mini scout but built with super light glue and I peeled a lot of the paper and it came in at 94 grams AUW. It flew absolutely fantastic. I also made a mini sea Angel that looked great but I was never able to get it to fly.

Last edited: