I Lost A Friend

Liam B

How many of these guys have you lost? I lost #2 in the photo this past Sunday with a BRAND NEW GoPro Hero 9. Lost my first one at the beach in July 2019 when a speed controller failed and I lost the front-left motor.

20AF26E6-9FD4-4A35-BDE7-A735E5B4B9E3.jpg

jack10525

I lost a mavic pro that hit a tree and landed in a lake. $500 lost. I had a Strix Stratosurfer fly away with a gopro session. $300 lost. Had probably 1 or 2 FT scratch builds fly away. $100 each. It happens and it sucks!!!

trey

Nearly, last weekend. I was making a new guy mistake, and lost video at the goggles. Panic set in, but I put it in angle and slowly lowered the throttle, or so I thought. My son found the quad and the beeper, about 30' apart.

SSgt Duramax

Just about lost my mini scout last weekend. My daughter stuffed it into the ground. I guess it jarred the servos loose. I only checked the elevator. In flight, I guess both had jarred loose, and my plane was stuck in a straight line at a slightly upward pitch. Right before the edge of the field I cut throttle, and I guess God had mercy on me as a gust of wind knocked the plane into a straight nosedive to the ground. The plane is pretty trashed, but I have the electronics and no one got hurt! All I am out is a sheet of foam board, some time, and a cheapie 6030 prop.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
R.I.P. little friend. I'm gonna take a wild guess since you lost it that the DJI unit lost signal and it hit fail safe and landed where you didn't have any idea where because one or all these things occurred.

1. DJI TOTALLY locks up once video is lost so no free fall video to see to follow the crash path.
2. It disconnects the radio and will not reconnect without a power cycle.
3. No radio connection = no beeper or no way to trace it by signal strength.

I have never lost a quad because I don't go any further then I am willing to walk to go pick it up after a crash, I ALWAYS dvr every flight so I can look back and follow it to its landing spot even if I have to use signal strength on the Taranis.

Those things are THE perfect reasons to NEVER buy or use DJI. Pretty video is cool but TOTALLY useless if you cant find your gear to go fly. Analog life is great!

Liam B

R.I.P. little friend. I'm gonna take a wild guess since you lost it that the DJI unit lost signal and it hit fail safe and landed where you didn't have any idea where because one or all these things occurred.

1. DJI TOTALLY locks up once video is lost so no free fall video to see to follow the crash path.
2. It disconnects the radio and will not reconnect without a power cycle.
3. No radio connection = no beeper or no way to trace it by signal strength.

I have never lost a quad because I don't go any further then I am willing to walk to go pick it up after a crash, I ALWAYS dvr every flight so I can look back and follow it to its landing spot even if I have to use signal strength on the Taranis.

Those things are THE perfect reasons to NEVER buy or use DJI. Pretty video is cool but TOTALLY useless if you cant find your gear to go fly. Analog life is great!

None of these things happened.

Liam B

Ok so how does ones quad fly 5+ miles into another state? And No WAY!!!! that was super cool. Did you drive to go get it?

And we MUST see the go pro footage of the complete trip. Keep it private and link us so general public doesn't explode over a runaway.

I'll message you privately. I did some dumb things and paid the price. Lesson learned.

Marzipan

this thread makes me wonder whats out there to create redundant backup systems on your very expensive aircraft. like ESC, n such?

Liam B

this thread makes me wonder whats out there to create redundant backup systems on your very expensive aircraft. like ESC, n such?

There are failsafes of course, like return to home, but this crash was not going to be helped by that haha.

Marzipan

There are failsafes of course, like return to home, but this crash was not going to be helped by that haha.

return to home isn't along the line of what I was thinking. it's like your passenger aircraft, don't they have double redundancy for all of their systems? if the main goes a back up takes over and then there is another back up in case it fails for some reason?