I need help to choose my first transmitter .

Maxx

Allo All !
I'm presently looking at transmitters and I'm a bit lost . My first goal with this new hobby is to learn to soar with a electric glider . So far There's the FlySky 10 channels is cheap and has the telemetry capacity , and I think I probably will need it further in my learning , for connecting a variometer , the beep-beep thing ... LOL !
And there's that Spektrum DXe that is not expensive and seems better quality . But I'm afraid it's not complete enough ... I don't need lots of channel , but if I want the help of the vario , can I do it with this transmitter ?
Please help me !

Maxx

FDS

Elite member
There’s a whole thread on TX choice here-
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/
The DXe is not a great choice IMO, you need a phone and app to make any adjustments and it limits you to 6 channels and DSMX. Theres lots of options, some 6 channel radios can be expanded to more channels through firmware and OpenTX offers 16+ channels and unlimited mixes.
Most FT designs and simple park flyers do not need more than 6 channels.
The most important thing is NOT TO RUSH, if you take your time you will get a better buy.

mach1 rc

Master member
If you want something around 50 bucks I'd go with the fly sky fs-ia6. The dxe might work if you made sure that the servos were moving in the right direction before installing them in the airplane

Maxx

There’s a whole thread on TX choice here-
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/
The DXe is not a great choice IMO, you need a phone and app to make any adjustments and it limits you to 6 channels and DSMX. Theres lots of options, some 6 channel radios can be expanded to more channels through firmware and OpenTX offers 16+ channels and unlimited mixes.
Most FT designs and simple park flyers do not need more than 6 channels.
The most important thing is NOT TO RUSH, if you take your time you will get a better buy.
I am going through that thread , it's very interesting , but there's a lot to learn at first .
Thanks for answering !

Bricks

Master member
Watch some videos of people using Open Transmitter to see if you can understand the flow of how to use it. Me I am a Spektrum type of guy the newer DX series is so easy to use and set up, you do pay more for the ease of use, the only advantage many of the OT transmitters, is you can add channels otherwise Spektrum can do anything OT can.. Spektrum support is outstanding I bought a used DX9 had a couple of small issues never charged me a dime except shipping replaced a couple of switches and went thru the RF deck, that is what I call service.

As FDS said the E series works but are a pain to set up with having the peripheral hardware to program it.

Maxx

Watch some videos of people using Open Transmitter to see if you can understand the flow of how to use it. Me I am a Spektrum type of guy the newer DX series is so easy to use and set up, you do pay more for the ease of use, the only advantage many of the OT transmitters, is you can add channels otherwise Spektrum can do anything OT can.. Spektrum support is outstanding I bought a used DX9 had a couple of small issues never charged me a dime except shipping replaced a couple of switches and went thru the RF deck, that is what I call service.

As FDS said the E series works but are a pain to set up with having the peripheral hardware to program it.
After lot of searching and going through the FrSky , FlySky , Jumper ... I think I will put my money on a Spektrum Dx6e , It's more than I wanted to pay , but I have a better feeling about that company .
Thanks for answering !

Maxx

The DX6 gen3 is only 70$ more than the DX6e , is it really worth it ? What about the DX6i ?

Bricks

Master member

Maxx

The DX6 gen 3 is way above and beyond the E series. If you do not mind used watch these classifieds https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-general-radio-equipment-fs-w-215/ I have never bought a new transmitter both my DX 6`s and both DX9`s I have bought off of here. If you watch I have seen the DX 6 Gen 2 & 3`s go for around $120 give or take.
I just found a canadian site ( shipping is easyer ) , RC Canada , and there's a few good deals on their classifieds .
Thanks for your advice .
Sorry for my english :)

Bricks

Master member
I just found a canadian site ( shipping is easyer ) , RC Canada , and there's a few good deals on their classifieds .
Thanks for your advice .
Sorry for my english :)

Not a problem that is what we are all here for, make sure and keep us updated on your progress and welcome to the addiction.