I think I bought a laser.

trey

I started researching what it would take to cut my own foam planes. Well, I never really figured it out. My wife owns a craft business, and I mentioned that she could probably sell some good stuff laser engraving. Haha.

Attachments

• F4522749-7187-47AC-A707-CB83ED186411.jpeg
    F4522749-7187-47AC-A707-CB83ED186411.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Marzipan

I started researching what it would take to cut my own foam planes. Well, I never really figured it out. My wife owns a craft business, and I mentioned that she could pwsell some good stuff laser engraving. Haha.

is that all you need to cut foam...a laser engraver?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I am making my own after Christmas. I asked for some of the parts for Christmas
Personally I would rather say build a CNC or needle cutter.... Playing with lasers is not such a great idea... Especially the reasonable high powered lasers we need to cut foam... You're looking at about a class 3 laser😏😏

Marzipan

I started researching what it would take to cut my own foam planes. Well, I never really figured it out. My wife owns a craft business, and I mentioned that she could probably sell some good stuff laser engraving. Haha.

how much did this run you?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Personally I would rather say build a CNC or needle cutter.... Playing with lasers is not such a great idea... Especially the reasonable high-powered lasers we need to cut foam... You're looking at about a class 3 laser😏😏
yes, true, but it's not that dangerous, and the CNC base itself causes tons of trouble as is to build. In my opinion, a plotter is best, just accurately draw out whatever you need and then do whatever you want with it!
100-240V Hot Wire Foam Cutter, Jhua Hot Knife Foam Cutter Electric Styrofoam Cutting Tool, 572℉ Foam Board Cutter with Cutting Machine Pen for Styrofoam Foam Cutting, Arts, Crafts DIY (5cm/1.97in) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091KCH3R6/?tag=lstir-20
Wow! that is such an amazing idea!

Taildragger

Legendary member
yes, true, but it's not that dangerous, and the CNC base itself causes tons of trouble as is to build. In my opinion, a plotter is best, just accurately draw out whatever you need and then do whatever you want with it!

Wow! that is such an amazing idea!
yeah plotters would be nice to have when you have simple plans and don't want to make a dxf file for lasercutting

Marzipan

sadly I can't find anywhere where someone sells them or a kit for them. other than thousand dollar industrial ones.

hmmm...who even makes the old school 2 axis plotters? I remember using one in computer science...it was a Raven or Roland.

I sell the 'new' plotters, a large format printer for CAD prints and such, but those are no good sine they would not feed foam, LoL!