Improvisation plane

gabrielete

Hello,
I decided to design my first plane. These are the requirements:
  • I want it to be floaty. Old Fogey style.
  • Three channels
  • I spend all day with computers at work, so no CAD, no computer design.

After some research on the internet and after applying some formulas I really didn't understand, I came up with these numbers:
  • Weight: 600g
  • Wing surface: 28dm2
  • 1.5m x 20cm

I started drawing the wings: 3 parts of 0.5m and 4cm of dihedral, or polihedral or whatever you call that...

Wing plans:
CAM00278.jpg

The rips:
CAM00279.jpg

I haven't decided yet what to do with the fuselage, but something will come....

Post edition

Final result
View attachment 53218

IMG_20150909_204010580.jpg

Maiden

Last edited:

gabrielete

Some progress has been done... Wing finished, only wingtips are left...
IMG_20150818_232141218.jpg
IMG_20150818_232236030.jpg

First sketch of the fuselage:
IMG_20150818_232150109_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I've never built with balsa but I am wondering why you need all those ribs? Seems like you could get away with less and save a little weight.

gabrielete

I've never built with balsa but I am wondering why you need all those ribs? Seems like you could get away with less and save a little weight.

Yeah you are right, it's my first design and I just drew the rips on the paper without questioning if it was too much or too little. Anyway it's already done so...

When I finish the wood work if I see it's too heavy I can cut some rips...

5 rips weigth 4g, so it's 0.8g per rip. I think I can cut 7*3 rips so I can save 16g and wing is actually 130g

Last edited:

gabrielete

The tail is going to have a triangular section, the rest I haven't decided yet. The wingtips are finished and the central part of the wing is reinforced to attach it with rubber bands.
2015-08-21 (1).jpg

2015-08-21 (2).jpg

earthsciteach

So nice to see balsa builds! Its one thing to make up a foam plane as you go, but balsa is a true commitment! I applaud you!

Do you know Epitaph? She lives in Spain, too. I figure all Spaniards must know each other. Ha ha!!! ;)

gabrielete

So nice to see balsa builds! Its one thing to make up a foam plane as you go, but balsa is a true commitment! I applaud you!

Do you know Epitaph? She lives in Spain, too. I figure all Spaniards must know each other. Ha ha!!! ;)

Thanks everybody!!!! :)

I use balsa for this plane because I can improvise with it. With foamboard you need to know exactly what you want and draw it on a computer first to cut it and do that complicated Origami. I really admire people that is able to design foamboard planes. With wood you just glue the things together and then sand them, I think it's more time consuming but not as complicated to design...

I've never met Epitaph, I think she lives far from Seville, she helped me here with with some misunderstandings I had with heavier european foamboard.

More progress with the fuselage, I'm going to sand that block to make it look better :)
IMG_20150822_104525.jpg

gabrielete

Progress has been done...

Fuselage
2015-08-24 23.16.52.jpg

Wing covered with a tacky combination of Piper yellow and sporty squares...
2015-08-24 23.17.14.jpg
2015-08-25 08.10.04.jpg

Last edited:

tclemmo

Wow! That's looking great! I haven't attempted a balsa build yet myself but this makes me look forward to it.
Great job so far. I can't wait to see the maiden!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
What are you covering the balsa with?

That's beautiful work. I too wanna see what this looks like when it's assembled and in the air. Please film the maiden. :)