Introductions!

Onewheelskillz

Never Flown R/C
Hi I'm Seth from Alexandria, Louisiana and i've been watching the videos for quite some time. Worked for American airlines for years and didn't realize how much i enjoyed being around the planes until i got another job. This is my new outlet. I haven't even built my first plane yet but i have everything to start minus the ink in my printer and the power pack. Just wanted to say hiya and any recommendations on a cheap first foamboard plane that i'm not going to wanna replace anytime soon (unless it goes nosefirst into the ground) :p

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If you've never flown, I'd recommend the Old Fogey. It's easy to build and fly, and it looks like a "real" plane (compared to the FT Flyer, Dart, or the Nutball...) It would be a good learning platform.

earthsciteach

Welcome to the forum! The FT Flyer is fantastic plane for someone who has never flown before. I took one out to the flying field this morning for training. Two of the kids who are learning flew it with no problem on their own. They were even hand launching it for each other. I just sat back in the shade and watched. This was only the 2nd time they had instruction and first time off of the buddy box.

Onewheelskillz

Never Flown R/C
I built a mini scout from scratch tonight! Haven't ordered my electronics yet.. I just couldn't resist getting my feet wet. About to post a picture of the progress. I'm gonna put my own little touches here and there. Like the windscreen you will see soon. Thanks everyone!

Onewheelskillz

Never Flown R/C
image.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Looks great! The Scout is a friendly flyer too -- she should treat you right, so long as you trim and balance her :)

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
to trim
make sure all control surfaces are level and straight
with the battery in it check the balance point and adjust battery and if need be and possible the esc and rx. you want a very slight nose down balance

gabrielete

But if it's your first plane don't worry now too much... just try not to crash... a flight of more than 30s it's a real success.. :black_eyed:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Surfaces level as have been mentioned, but there is a "throw gauge" (the litttle wierd diamond shaped thingy with "H" and "L" etched on it) to set the limits on how far the surfaces should move -- "H" for high rates (more throw, but easy to over-control) and "L" for low rates.

Set the limits in your radio (how far the servo moves off center when the stick is banged against the stop) by using the angle on that gauge. set it for "low" for the first few flights -- it's common for new pilots to over-control their airframes, so limiting the control throw will help you from overreacting.

Onewheelskillz

Never Flown R/C
I feel as though I'm a little ahead of the learning curve as far as the controls go and the knowledge of flight characteristics. I should be ok. Just sucks because it's going to be a couple weeks before I can order my transmitter and my electronics! Lots of time to decorate the plane with sharpie markers. :D thanks everyone!

Onewheelskillz

Never Flown R/C
I sanded down the leading edges of the wings and scotch taped the whole length. I'm not happy with my elevator. The middle isn't supported well enough and when the flap that has he control horn goes up the middle bends significantly and he other side doesn't come up in conjunction. I'm going to have to brace with a Popsicle stick.. I'd say it's not too bad for my first scratch build. Any ideas on alternate landing gear for the scout?