It seems like half the speed build models are currently missing

maowai

I went to look for the FT Spear for a long range FPV plane that I’m planning and it seems to be missing, along with a good number of other planes.
You can access these pages via google, but the site says they’re discontinued. I’m assuming that this is because the brown foam versions sold out before the maker foam versions were ready, but any idea when the store might make all of the speed build kits available again?

maowai

Thanks for the advice and links! I’ll probably end up scratch building this out of impatience.

However, I’m still curious why so much of the speed build inventory is missing and I’d love if someone with some inside knowledge had some insight.

dap35

Elite member
I think they have been transitioning from the brown foam board to the white. I've been eyeing the FT Spear as well.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
flight instructor at our field just built his first. he really likes it.

balance can be an issue if using smaller camera. this was designed back in the day when cameras weighed a LOT more. prob solved by using 2 smaller batteries you can stuff all the way forward, then use a y-plug.

as for "out-of-stock kits" i would once again assume it is due to the transition from brown to white, along with all the other craziness that has been lately. kinda surprised a lot of places are still functioning at all. i however would not be holding your breathe for the Spear to come back into stock. i'm guessing they are moving on...

good luck,

me :cool:

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I looked yesterday for an A-10 since i decided i might be too lazy to cut that one out by hand. I could not find it. i guess ill have to suck it up and print out the 90 sheets of paper. :)

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I am sure there was a lapse in the production and a boost in sales of the kits due to COVID... just sayin
I agree. interesting though that some items are just no longer listed. not backorder or out of stock message. we will see I guess. we still have the plans.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I agree. interesting though that some items are just no longer listed. not backorder or out of stock message. we will see I guess. we still have the plans.

agreed. i think that they took some of the older, less popular models and just cut them from the lineup. with all the new stuff coming out from Overstreet and others, it makes no sense to waste time kitting a plane that only a few people will buy.

just my $.02,

me :cool:

basslord1124

Master member
I have heard this from others too but I really haven't paid much attention as I scratch build most of the time anyways.

It's a probably all a mix of the change in foam, the CoVid pandemic, and as @mrjdstewart said, probably looking at what models they profit the best at. I think they would keep stock of all of them, but maybe limited stock for ones not as popular.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am seeing this all over the place. Gotta love the free plans if that's an option to you. There are so many resources though to get free plans from, not only the FT designs but with our own street level designers. Plus RCgroups has a whack load of people who post plans there too.