jrCessna O-1 Bird Dog (Intermediate Build Trainer)

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Got all the patterns cut out today and stuck on poster board this morning, I'm gonna head to the hot wire this afternoon and knock a couple kits out. :D
View attachment 67190

Awesome! Looks great, Paxbot.

Quick question, where did you put the lines that run down the wings for the wing camber?

If you look at the first post, you can see where I did the creases for the airfoil. You may want to add a crease halfway between the leading edge and the first crease shown for a little more roundness, it would probably fly a little better.

Let me know if you have more questions when you get to building and I'll update the plans with the lines as soon as I can.

Paxbot

Getting there! I hope to maiden in a couple weeks! Everything has been pretty straightforward so far. The wings were a little tricky, I had to come up with some wedges when glueing the airfoil into shape. but it's a pretty tight model so far. ;):eek: 160411_0000.jpg

JohnRambozo

Getting there! I hope to maiden in a couple weeks! Everything has been pretty straightforward so far. The wings were a little tricky, I had to come up with some wedges when glueing the airfoil into shape. but it's a pretty tight model so far. ;):eek: View attachment 67272

Great job! Let me get you exact measurements on the front and rear windshields. Those really bring it all together.

Here are pdfs for the Windshields and the Nose Posterboard cover:

jrCessnaBirdDog_Windshields.pdf
jrCessnaBirdDog_Nose_Poster.pdf

I better update the first post with everything.

And woops! I forgot to include the formers under the nose posterboard for the shape. I'll get those updated asap. Sorry!

Last edited:

Garret234

I am about to build this plane and was wondering if there was any tips on building it?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Paxbot

I've built two last weekend, one for my girlfriend and the other for me. If you built flite test models before, it's pretty straightforward. The only problems I had was getting the wing put together, on one plane I built them separate, and then stuck them together. That was a little tricky (for me anyway) because they didn't exactly match up as exactly as I'd liked.. On the second plane, I glued the two wing halves together then folded and set up the wings. I thought this worked much better for me. Other than that, this plane was really well designed and has been a lot of fun to put together. Once I have all the parts zipped out, it came together pretty quick. Oh also, Don't glue any of the top decking of the fuselage on until your rudder and elevator servos are set up. I guess I got excited and did that on one of the planes, and I had to cut it out. LOL :D

Garret234

Thanks very much Paxbot! Yes I have built FT designs before so this should be easy. Also what battery do you plan to use?I will post pic of my build process as soon as I get some more DTFB..... It's crazy how fast 25 sheets go away!!!:p

Last edited:

Paxbot

I was going to use one of my Blue Wonders for the motor, and the Batt I plan on using is a 1000mAh 11.1v 25c\3cell. This battery I think has always worked well with that motor. It won't be super duper fast of anything. LOL

JohnRambozo

I've built two last weekend, one for my girlfriend and the other for me. If you built flite test models before, it's pretty straightforward. The only problems I had was getting the wing put together, on one plane I built them separate, and then stuck them together. That was a little tricky (for me anyway) because they didn't exactly match up as exactly as I'd liked.. On the second plane, I glued the two wing halves together then folded and set up the wings. I thought this worked much better for me. Other than that, this plane was really well designed and has been a lot of fun to put together. Once I have all the parts zipped out, it came together pretty quick. Oh also, Don't glue any of the top decking of the fuselage on until your rudder and elevator servos are set up. I guess I got excited and did that on one of the planes, and I had to cut it out. LOL :D

Great tips/feedback. Do you think the two wings not matching was a problem with the plans (shouldn't be since its just the same shape flipped)? I hand cut my planes and the two wing halves are never exactly identical. It sounds like attaching them prior to folding is the way to go.

That's an important note about installing servos before securing the rear deck. You could make a score cut for a hatch if you think you'll need access to them again.

I'm excited to hear how they fly! That sounds like a great motor/battery combination. It can easily carry up to 3S 2200mah if you want longer flight times.

Last edited:

Paxbot

Great tips/feedback. Do you think the two wings not matching was a problem with the plans (shouldn't be since its just the same shape flipped)? I hand cut my planes and the two wing halves are never exactly identical. It sounds like attaching them prior to folding is the way to go.

That's an important note about installing servos before securing the rear deck. You could make a score cut for a hatch if you think you'll need access to them again.

I'm excited to hear how they fly! That sounds like a great motor/battery combination. It can easily carry up to 3S 2200mah if you want longer flight times.

The wings matched up fine as far plans and cut out went, it was the camber angles were slightly off (totally my fault). One wing was slightly rounder than the other. I dont think it will change how it flys, nothing a little trim wouldn't fix at any rate. I gave the better wing to my girlfriend (she's a noob, LoL). I also came up with some struts for the wings, they wouldn't be load bearing, they'll just be hanging there with some straightened paper clips and chopped up coffee stirrers. I'll send some pics when they're finished.

JohnRambozo

No, no wings spares. I suppose you could come up with some, but the wing seems pretty strong without em'

Somewhere in there I suggested using a wing spar, but the way its made, it may not need one. It also depends on your flying style.

You'd probably be fine using FT Storch techniques and just gluing a paint stick across the middle. A simple square wooden dowel would also be cheap and effective.

Garret234

Okay thanks! I am actually building this plane for a older friend of mine and he has a little time on a gas trainer but wanted some thing a little easier to fly at the local park. Will this plane be okay for him or is it still in the beta process? The parts I plan to use are a 39g 2822 1200kv with a 9x4.7 sf prop and a 2200 mah 3s.

Thanks for all the feed back!

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Okay thanks! I am actually building this plane for a older friend of mine and he has a little time on a gas trainer but wanted some thing a little easier to fly at the local park. Will this plane be okay for him or is it still in the beta process? The parts I plan to use are a 39g 2822 1200kv with a 9x4.7 sf prop and a 2200 mah 3s.

Thanks for all the feed back!

It is as yet untested in its current form. You may want to wait for the test flight before you hand it over to a friend. Or at least take it up once or twice.

That being said, your proposed setup is exactly what I would recommend.