jrCessna O-1 Bird Dog (Intermediate Build Trainer)

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Crazy waiting. But don't rush. The fun is in the details. Lol!

I have to agree. Its coming along. Obviously these are just set in place. I'll be gluing the 'decals' on after I finish the paint on the tail.

eovxB52.jpg

Bayboos

Have you seen any kind of sturdy landing gear designs? The ones for the FT Storch are nice and strong but I'm trying to keep it scale looking. The basic FT single wire design is pretty flimsy. I'm sure it will work but something stronger would be nice.

You can use something like on the pictures below (those comes from my top secret Baby Blender project, green foam is just for the assembly; it does not go on the airplane) - by adjusting some angles and maybe filling out the space between wires with foam/cardboard, you can achieve pretty scale look. This design makes the LG stiffer in the direction where "one-wire style" LG lacks, while still being flexible in the dampening direction - something the "Storch-style" LG fails at. This LG is made out of two pieces of 1.5mm wire (as opposed to the original 2.5-3mm), joined by a piece of heatshrink tube and secured by hot glue. That makes it weight the same as one-wire LG while being much more durable.

You can check my YT channel to see some examples (as of today, just one example) of how this LG performs.

Here are the pictures:

Blender LG-1.jpg
Blender LG-2.jpg
Blender LG-3.jpg

JohnRambozo

Looking great, maiden soon ?

Crazy man! Looking good. Can't wait for the maiden. Cheers

Thanks twodogs and CSCM (ClearSkiesCalmWinds)! I'm hoping to get it in the air this weekend. If my park is still too soggy, I may just go to the parking lot across the street. Its full during the day but they keep the lights on all night for some reason, so I could fly at low altitudes after hours as long as I miss all of the light poles.

JohnRambozo

You can use something like on the pictures below (those comes from my top secret Baby Blender project, green foam is just for the assembly; it does not go on the airplane) - by adjusting some angles and maybe filling out the space between wires with foam/cardboard, you can achieve pretty scale look. This design makes the LG stiffer in the direction where "one-wire style" LG lacks, while still being flexible in the dampening direction - something the "Storch-style" LG fails at. This LG is made out of two pieces of 1.5mm wire (as opposed to the original 2.5-3mm), joined by a piece of heatshrink tube and secured by hot glue. That makes it weight the same as one-wire LG while being much more durable.

You can check my YT channel to see some examples (as of today, just one example) of how this LG performs.

Very nice design, Bayboos. Thanks for sharing. I will probably use yours or some variation of it in the final.

I enjoyed your Storch on skis, too. :)

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Very cool, indeed.

I updated the first post with the final (more or less) pics of version 1. I just ordered more servos (and more batteries, and a parallel charging board and other misc supplies) so I can build version 2 without ripping servos out of version 1.

Its pouring here today, so the maiden, unfortunately will have to wait. That gives me time to strengthen the LG. After putting the battery in, the single wire LG just gave out completely. It basically does the splits.

I'm doing Bayboos LG next.

JohnRambozo

I tried. I really tried to maiden this weekend. It rained all day Saturday so I thought Sunday looked good. It was overcast but warm enough and there was a gentle breeze. So I pack up and head to the park, excited to see how she flies. I knew the ground was still covered in snow and extremely soggy where there was no snow. Nobody was in the park so I figured I'd take off from the road that winds through.

While I'm setting up, the wind starts to gust. I'm not scared of a little wind, so I continue. After checking the controls I find the rudder settles to the left after moving left/right. I trimmed it back straight and check it again. It still centers to the left.

I think it will probably fly since a couple of strong gusts nearly lifted the plane off the ground and managed to push it back a ways before I got hold of it. While I'm considering adjust the rudder, it starts raining and ironically, the sun comes out for the first time all day.

I guess it was not the day for it.

I did fix the LG based on Bayboos design and I'm happy with the results. Its nice and stable now. Soon, she will take flight.

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

Glad to hear. It just might be fate talking you into giving it a once over again. Definitely don't rush. She'll be in the air and stay in the air soon enough.

JohnRambozo

Glad to hear. It just might be fate talking you into giving it a once over again. Definitely don't rush. She'll be in the air and stay in the air soon enough.

Oh, the anticipation. That will give you time to check on that stubborn rudder control though.

You guys may be right.

I did manage to get the rudder centered up so that it returns to a neutral position consistently. Just waiting on the weather, now.

I'll start working on version 2 as soon as my new servos arrive.

Its going to have a more scale shape, specifically the cockpit and aft section of the fuse. The wings will be flat across the center as suggested by ClearSkies. I really think the only reasonable way to represent the windows on top of the wing is just by drawing the shapes or printing and gluing shapes on. To actually open it up would make the wings too weak. I could be wrong but I really don't think the view would be worth the effort.

twodogs

Yeah, back tape or even construction paper for windows would be better than cutting holes in the wing. I was looking over your graphics, nice job by the way, just one small error and most people wouldn't catch it, the blue outline around the red and white stripes is a little too thin. Not nitpicking but if want to change it
US insignia.gif
not necessary by any means.

JohnRambozo

Yeah, back tape or even construction paper for windows would be better than cutting holes in the wing. I was looking over your graphics, nice job by the way, just one small error and most people wouldn't catch it, the blue outline around the red and white stripes is a little too thin. Not nitpicking but if want to change it
View attachment 43184
not necessary by any means.

Thanks, twodogs, for the compliment and the very detailed reference. I never knew about the specific relative measurements for the insignia. I like that stuff.

JohnRambozo

nice plane :) is it work with 3ch like a trainer? without rudder or without ailerons with some dehidral?

Thanks Victor. I'm still waiting for the weather to give me a chance to fly. I'm confident it would fly well with no rudder. As for no ailerons, I'll have to see. I expect you may want to enlarge the Vertical Stabilizer and tail by 15-20% if you're not using ailerons but that's just a guess.