853-21 Quiet Bird by Foamy DM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
One of my next design projects are the 853-21 Quiet Bird.
This a Paper model:
Qbird08.jpg

Boeing Model 853-21 Quiet Bird in Test Lab
The Quiet Bird was a version of the Boeing Model 853 which started out as an Army observation airplane study, this version of the 853 study was used to test materials and shapes that would reduce radar cross sections (RCS). The model was built and tested in 1962- 1963 at Boeing Wichita, these test were on a radar range and no actual flight testing was done. The tests reportedly achieved excellent results in reduced radar cross section, but it was a bit ahead of its time and did not generate interest from the military. The lessons learned on Quiet Bird probably did influence the design of the Boeing AGM-86 Air Launched Cruise Missile. Internally Boeing continued to work on the non-metallic structures aspects that were pioneered with Quiet Bird, and that effort eventually lead to the use of increasingly larger and more complex composite structures in Boeing aircraft.
BI46255.jpg BI46257.jpg BI46258.jpg BI46259.jpg BI46260.jpg BI46261.jpg
I am using this to build an Onshape based Model to make a model to turn into a shaped cut file:
Here is where I am at today
1693973640576.png

This should be a fun journey.

L Edge

Master member
Are you using an EDF or the 3 bladed prop shroud setup?
Now that Stealth is involved, sure changes requirements of EDF design, not so much with this one, tuff with dual setups. Especially with NGAD with no rudders. The exhausts are crazy(F-117).

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
One of my next design projects are the 853-21 Quiet Bird.
This a Paper model:
View attachment 239906

Boeing Model 853-21 Quiet Bird in Test Lab
The Quiet Bird was a version of the Boeing Model 853 which started out as an Army observation airplane study, this version of the 853 study was used to test materials and shapes that would reduce radar cross sections (RCS). The model was built and tested in 1962- 1963 at Boeing Wichita, these test were on a radar range and no actual flight testing was done. The tests reportedly achieved excellent results in reduced radar cross section, but it was a bit ahead of its time and did not generate interest from the military. The lessons learned on Quiet Bird probably did influence the design of the Boeing AGM-86 Air Launched Cruise Missile. Internally Boeing continued to work on the non-metallic structures aspects that were pioneered with Quiet Bird, and that effort eventually lead to the use of increasingly larger and more complex composite structures in Boeing aircraft.
View attachment 239900 View attachment 239901 View attachment 239902 View attachment 239903 View attachment 239904 View attachment 239905
I am using this to build an Onshape based Model to make a model to turn into a shaped cut file:
Here is where I am at today View attachment 239907

This should be a fun journey.
would this be hotwire cut? otherwise, how would you turn it 2d? So far looking good though

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I think I can do this justice with master series style molded foam board. I want to use this though to also try out hot wiring a wing.

The plans I produce will have a foldover style wing.