• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Landing gear options

Recently, I built a FT Scout. It’s an awesome airplane but for some reason, my landing gear, and where the landing gear “square” goes into the fuselage is already starting to bend and get itself loose. I had the idea of using a rubber band and bbq skewers, but was curious if anyone had ideas to create a more durable landing gear system. Thanks!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Mentor
Recently, I built a FT Scout. It’s an awesome airplane but for some reason, my landing gear, and where the landing gear “square” goes into the fuselage is already starting to bend and get itself loose. I had the idea of using a rubber band and bbq skewers, but was curious if anyone had ideas to create a more durable landing gear system. Thanks!
I use a heavy landing gear setup on my planes but it is almost indestructible. See; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-mutts.57768/

It consists of a piece of aluminium bar and a length of spring wire which are then glued to a plywood plate. When assembled the plywood plate is taped to the fuselage in the required position. On the MUTTS it was the main gear on a tricycle setup but it can be relocated further forward and make it the main gear or a taildragger.

My landing field is grass and the MUTS was landing on grass which was in need of mowing and the ground was sodden after prolonged rain.
The wheels effectively disappeared into the grass on landing and the landing gear did not move the slightest!

If you require I can give some details about dimensions assuming that you can cut and bend aluminium bar and music wire.

Have fun!