Lazertoyz SBK Electronics - ESC fried

Bernie---OH

First Post - Newbie
My ESC fried when I was testing electronics.

I bought the FliteTest Swappable "package" from Lazertoyz -
1) FT Swappable planes
2) FT Swappable Electronics
3) Radiolink T6 Transmitter/T7eh receiver
=== The Electronics included:
(1) Lazertoyz Blue Wonder 2712-12 brushless motor
(1) 8mm Aluminum Motor Mount
(1) Prop Saver
(2) 8x4 props
(1) 10 Amp ESC (this is all you need will only pull 8 amps)
(2) Emax Budget Servos (1 plane) , or add the 4 servo option, this gives you 2 for each swappable.
(1) 850 mAh Lipo11.1V 3 Cell - 25C discharge and 5 C charge rate
(2) EZ Justers (for EZ pushrod adjustment)
===================
I built the power pod, plane, and connected all electronics.
- Motor, ESC, 2 Servos, and Receiver.
***** NOTE: I was warned and made sure no WIRES were touching (no short circuit).
=============
Tested this on workbench (i.e. Kitchen table) - prior to first flight.
All connectivity seemed stable.
Servos worked, Motor worked.
Testing continued, all of a sudden, I saw a glow and smoke. Saw that the ESC was fried/melted.
QUESTION(s):
What would cause this? Revving the motor to high in combination with the servos?

I see that LazerToyz supplies a 10AMP ESC - I notice that FliteTest recommends an 18AMP ESC.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
the 8x4 with that motor should be good on the 10A ESC, revved or not. I've used both the plush 10 and plush 18's on this motor and it's worked just fine -- the 18s start smoother, but otherwise they've both run w/o a hitch.

Glow and smoke sounds like a sudden short, and the glow likely came from the arc at the short. As long as you're *SURE* the leads haven't shorted, you didn't restrain the motor and the motor is turning freely (it does spin freely, right?) then I'd chalk it up to a defective ESC. It happens, but LT has been having troubles with some of their ESCs as of late. First I've heard they've had issues with a 10A (from forum chatter), but they've been good to replace defective ones, so shouldn't be a worry.

Give 'em a call and describe what happened and they've been pretty good about making it right.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Bernie---OH

Thank you Crafty Dan for the quick response.
The Glow was from the ESC because it was sustained and not a spark or series of sparks.
Also the plastic sheathing on the ESC was melted around a specific IC (Integrated Circuit).
I will call LazerToyz - They have been extremely wonderful to me - bought the "kit" for my son for Christmas.

Oh... P.S. - I ran the "tests" without a propeller attached - Tape on the motor to verify direction. Spun like a charm.
I did hear clicking / vibrating near the servos. Assumed they were just positioning themselves.
Removed the servo "arms" to verify I didn't put them in backwards - reattached all. ran fine for about 30 secs full throttle, servos working - then smoke.

Thank you for the Welcome - Being so new at this - "I'll be back..." -- lol

lonewolf7717

Wow I really should read more before posting....you were running without a load. Two schools of thought on this but majority would advise against. Or at the very least for short bursts 10 seconds or less and trying not to run WOT without load. Overspending the motor can create all sorts of havoc, not to say that is what went wrong with ESC but in my book should be primary suspect.