Legacy motor burned up???

Digger Hammett

My FT Legacy V2 motors both burned up? Used the wire harness provided with kit. Any ideas why?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Did you make sure to poke out the tape for the whole in the middle of the firewall? And by “burned up” what do you mean? For example, will the motors just not spin or are the copper windings broken from too much heat? Hope this is helpful.

Digger Hammett

Did you make sure to poke out the tape for the whole in the middle of the firewall? And by “burned up” what do you mean? For example, will the motors just not spin or are the copper windings broken from too much heat? Hope this is helpful.
I should have described the event better. In the shop I had completed multiple run ups for a minute or two. Weeks later I went to the field. The legacy taxi, took off, and I landed after reaching about 3 feet of altitude. After giving more throttle to turn around the legacy tipped over onto the nose. The throttle was reduced to zero. I approached the legacy and filled it up on the wheel. I gave it some throttle and a puff of smoke came out each motor. I used a Zippy battery and wonder if there is something wrong with the battery.

Digger Hammett

I just tried each motor separately with a totally different ESC. Neither motor created a puff of smoke but each motor would not turn. Each motor each moved a little bit.

speedy7385

I believe the Legacy use 2 of the C pack radial motors. yours showing 2212 1250kv are B pack motors.
Any how many cells are your zippy battery? And what size prop are you using with those motors?

Digger Hammett

I believe the Legacy use 2 of the C pack radial motors. yours showing 2212 1250kv are B pack motors.
Any how many cells are your zippy battery? And what size prop are you using with those motors?
That’s why I put the picture of the two motors in the thread. I thought the same thing but did not want to blame FT. The two motors are what FT sent me. They must be older motors because I see they have newer/different motors now. The props are 9x4.5 and the battery was a 3 cell and measured at 12 volts exactly. Thanks for your help.

WillL84

That’s why I put the picture of the two motors in the thread. I thought the same thing but did not want to blame FT. The two motors are what FT sent me. They must be older motors because I see they have newer/different motors now. The props are 9x4.5 and the battery was a 3 cell and measured at 12 volts exactly. Thanks for your help.

They don't send motors with the plane kit, you need to order the power pack separately. The Legacy takes a twin C pack. As @speedy7385 said those look like B pack motors which might be too small for the Legacy but don't quote me on that.

Timmy

Legendary member
I did not check the temp of the motors. A puff of smoke came out of both motors so I disconnected the battery. Did not even think of checking the temp. Maybe I need to look into it.
I've burned up a motor before and there was no smoke. Usually ESCs do the smoking. Was the ESC ok? Whether its a B pack or a C pack shouldn't matter (in terms of overheating) as long as its paired with an appropriate battery and propeller.

Digger Hammett

They don't send motors with the plane kit, you need to order the power pack separately. The Legacy takes a twin C pack. As @speedy7385 said those look like B pack motors which might be too small for the Legacy but don't quote me on that.
In January they offered those motors in a bundle for $160. I still have the receipt. Probably should contact FT and complain. I am wondering if they were trying to get rid of these older motors.

Digger Hammett

I've burned up a motor before and there was no smoke. Usually ESCs do the smoking. Was the ESC ok? Whether its a B pack or a C pack shouldn't matter (in terms of overheating) as long as its paired with an appropriate battery and propeller.
Not sure if the ESC is bad. How do I check the ESC? Really do not want to connect either ESC to a motor. I cannot see two ESCs going bad at the same time. That’s why it could be the battery, which is a 3S 3300 mAh. The props they sent were 9x4.5.

WillL84

In January they offered those motors in a bundle for $160. I still have the receipt. Probably should contact FT and complain. I am wondering if they were trying to get rid of these older motors.

Ah ok that makes sense then. I ordered mine in like November and bought the Power Pack C twin with it, motors are way different than those

Timmy

Legendary member
Not sure if the ESC is bad. How do I check the ESC? Really do not want to connect either ESC to a motor. I cannot see two ESCs going bad at the same time. That’s why it could be the battery, which is a 3S 3300 mAh. The props they sent were 9x4.5.
Both ESCs could go bad if the motors were drawing too much power. I think the B pack recomends a 30A esc?

NickRehm

It was not the battery, the motor is specced for 3-4s. Capacity/c-rating makes no difference--you cannot burn a motor out from a battery with too much capacity; current is 'pulled' from the battery, not pushed

On the back side of your motors, there is usually a little bit of the smaller shaft protruding out, such that it will rub on the plywood mount if there is not a centered-cutout in the mount behind it. Does your mount have this? i.e. is the motor shaft on the back side rubbing on the plywood piece? My thought is that you overloaded the motors with extra load somehow.

Still, it is extremely weird to me that they both blew at the exact same time. The prop and battery you used are sized just fine for those motors. If it was a wiring issue with the battery into the ESCs (crossing lines or something like that from lack of heat shrink somewhere, idk), the ESCs would've blown first.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
And as far as I know there’s nothing on a brushless motor that would smoke (don’t quote me on this) but if something shorted out I could see it burning two escs at the same time and that would make some smoke