Life of the Simple Scout...

Marty72

Elite member
@Marty72 - it did look like a loss of control at the final moment before crashing - you still flew double the time I would normally take to land (crash)! :D
Yeah, made a mistake and instead of leveling the plane, I added even more aileron (ie, went the wrong way with the stick) but was too close to the ground to save it. I was out of control for about 20 seconds, ha.

Marty72

Elite member
I took out the Sportster tonight just when I got home. Perfect opportunity, no wind or rain. Had the tri prop on and this would have been its first painted flight, even had the landing gear on. Balanced and control tested, hand launched and dove straight to the ground. A real testament to how strong I built it. The only fix I had to do was replace the tape on the firewall by the time it was fixed, it got to dark.
I can't believe that. Ugly birds fly, pretty ones crash. Maybe that's how it works.

Marty72

Elite member
I you fly with the elevator, ailerons on the right. Do not take your hand away from that stick. Keep flying the plane. Reach across with your left hand and adjust the trim. After you get the throttle set you can leave it alone while getting the trim set. Practice finding the trim "buttons" without looking. Might help. Just keep flying and having fun. I had to take a long walk to get a wing tonight. Still flying but needs a little love. I know how it is to walk to the plane instead of flying the plane back to you:) Good looking paint job
I'm glad you mentioned that, I actually started practicing,( what you described) after realizing that I was too tense to take my hand off the stick to adjust trim, last week, trying to fly the Scout. I didn't know that was a the right thing to do, great to know. For some reason yesterday, I just didn't follow my recent training. Thanks again.

whackflyer

Master member
I took out the Sportster tonight just when I got home. Perfect opportunity, no wind or rain. Had the tri prop on and this would have been its first painted flight, even had the landing gear on. Balanced and control tested, hand launched and dove straight to the ground. A real testament to how strong I built it. The only fix I had to do was replace the tape on the firewall by the time it was fixed, it got to dark.
@BATTLEAXE you need to start doing some ground launches so you don’t crash your pretty planes so much!😉😎

OliverW

Legendary member
Yeah, I'm wondering how many hits she can take. I really hit hard this time,amazed it's still intact. I'm going ahead and building a new power pod for my next repair. I waste more time shimming and correcting the damage one, I could have just made a new one. Anyway, it will be ready and waiting.

I'm already thinking about my next plane. Due to my inexperience and space restrictions, I'm looking for a plane to replace the Cub. It's really not all that useful for me anymore, too slow, too wind sensitive. I wonder if the mini scout would fit the bill. I still think I can fly the scout in my current field, I just may need a go between to get me there. I also like having a plane for small areas, the Cub was great for that but it's has many crashes and I'm starting to question it's usefulness. It's on its 5th motor, brush motors are for the birds.
I think the mini scout would be perfect! My issue with it is that after a few small repairs it adds quite a bit of weight to something this small just makes it really heavy and funky flying fast..

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Any of the Minis are great planes, the Mini Scout is especially. The thing I like about the Minis ids they take a beating because they are lighter, less inertia, less collateral damage. I will say it again, one more time before the Mini Scout police show up lol, The Mini Scout is an excellent trainer as an AET platform. It doesn't crash hard, it's easy to fix, It's easy to fly, and yes it is easy to build, easier then the standard Scout.

Since you already built the Scout and have a decent build under your belt, and you want something to replace your Cub. There is one plane that comes mind and that's this guy, the Shrubsmacker. This is not a FT original plane, it was designed by @Grifflyer and flies really well at low speeds, high speed, is really maneuverable, and is stable in the wind. As a Mini it even handles the weather nice too. There is no build video but you should check it out.

This is the one I built, I have a thread on it, here is the link. Check it out

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE you need to start doing some ground launches so you don’t crash your pretty planes so much!😉😎
I was gonna do one last night after testing out the tri prop, I really wanted it to work out. I don't understand why the 2 blade prop flies so docile and the 3 blade heads straight for the ground... gonna fix the fire wall and fly it again today if the weather holds up

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I was gonna do one last night after testing out the tri prop, I really wanted it to work out. I don't understand why the 2 blade prop flies so docile and the 3 blade heads straight for the ground... gonna fix the fire wall and fly it again today if the weather holds up
Does it crash on launch or sometime into your flight with the 3 blade?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I only tried it once, the firewall broke loose at that point. I tossed it at shoulder height, over hand, and it went straight to the ground. It started on run up at about 1/3 throttle to have a bit of a squeal like the shaft was rubbing on something then it went away. I ran it up to half throttle given the prop has a decent amount of pull and flows a lot of air compared to a 9x6x2, then tossed it just like I did in the maiden with the 2 blade. The light wing loading should have carried it up easily.

Maybe more throttle? Or is there something about the 3 blade I don't understand yet?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I only tried it once, the firewall broke loose at that point. I tossed it at shoulder height, over hand, and it went straight to the ground. It started on run up at about 1/3 throttle to have a bit of a squeal like the shaft was rubbing on something then it went away. I ran it up to half throttle given the prop has a decent amount of pull and flows a lot of air compared to a 9x6x2, then tossed it just like I did in the maiden with the 2 blade. The light wing loading should have carried it up easily.

Maybe more throttle? Or is there something about the 3 blade I don't understand yet?
Your prop was probably slipping around the shaft that's what the squealing sound was, You probably weren't getting full thrust.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I watched your whole flight video @Marty72 and you were flying great! Only thing I’d recommend is more altitude. Don’t feel bad about crashing though, I consider myself a pretty advanced pilot (until I see someone really good😂). And I needed up with this... she’s fixed and ready to go though. @BATTLEAXE you are right, super tough. My power pod was wiggling a lot, like a LOT and she still flew great. @SquirrelTail my mini scout probably weighed more on its maiden than yours did after all your crashes. Using 9 gram servos and a 1500 mah 2s is heavy! Still tons of fun to fly though. That’s why my wings folded twice. The cause of the crash was I took it way up and popped it upside down. Problem is 3 channel ret don’t like flying inverted, and although I was full up, I traveled straight down in an EPIC crash. Only electronics left I. Te plane were the glued servos, and there was a spray of parts that flew out. Even popped the cover off the receiver!!! Too bad I didn’t get it on vid. Got video of earlier flights that day and old speedster flights that I’ll post on the “what did you fly today” thread... Here’s the CRAZY part - this was a full speed nose dive straight into the ground from high up, and te propeller didn’t break. I’m not joking. It was crazy. All the electronics ejected from the airplane, and the nose is what took the hit - the wing is undamaged. Goes to show how good the HQ 9x5 prop I trimmed down to a 5x5 prop is. That’s not the first nosedive it has survived, but by far the most brutal. It was a crazy crash - worth it for just watching it hit and seeing the parts spray out😂

Attachments

• E5D22A6E-9C3B-49E9-A4F9-54A226D83A41.jpeg
    E5D22A6E-9C3B-49E9-A4F9-54A226D83A41.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 27044C86-0B77-4897-AE9D-CC68F1D157D0.jpeg
    27044C86-0B77-4897-AE9D-CC68F1D157D0.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F1108F21-8100-48F9-8747-87D085E5319E.jpeg
    F1108F21-8100-48F9-8747-87D085E5319E.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I watched your whole flight video @Marty72 and you were flying great! Only thing I’d recommend is more altitude. Don’t feel bad about crashing though, I consider myself a pretty advanced pilot (until I see someone really good😂). And I needed up with this... she’s fixed and ready to go though. @BATTLEAXE you are right, super tough. My power pod was wiggling a lot, like a LOT and she still flew great. @SquirrelTail my mini scout probably weighed more on its maiden than yours did after all your crashes. Using 9 gram servos and a 1500 mah 2s is heavy! Still tons of fun to fly though. That’s why my wings folded twice. The cause of the crash was I took it way up and popped it upside down. Problem is 3 channel ret don’t like flying inverted, and although I was full up, I traveled straight down in an EPIC crash. Only electronics left I. Te plane were the glued servos, and there was a spray of parts that flew out. Even popped the cover off the receiver!!! Too bad I didn’t get it on vid. Got video of earlier flights that day and old speedster flights that I’ll post on the “what did you fly today” thread... Here’s the CRAZY part - this was a full speed nose dive straight into the ground from high up, and te propeller didn’t break. I’m not joking. It was crazy. All the electronics ejected from the airplane, and the nose is what took the hit - the wing is undamaged. Goes to show how good the HQ 9x5 prop I trimmed down to a 5x5 prop is. That’s not the first nosedive it has survived, but by far the most brutal. It was a crazy crash - worth it for just watching it hit and seeing the parts spray out😂
That might just be the most crumpled power pod I have ever seen! Congratulations! ;) No doubt that was an epic crash. You always miss the good ones with the video! :rolleyes:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
When you do it you do it right.

Its a good excuse to build another one

Marty72

Elite member
Any of the Minis are great planes, the Mini Scout is especially. The thing I like about the Minis ids they take a beating because they are lighter, less inertia, less collateral damage. I will say it again, one more time before the Mini Scout police show up lol, The Mini Scout is an excellent trainer as an AET platform. It doesn't crash hard, it's easy to fix, It's easy to fly, and yes it is easy to build, easier then the standard Scout.

Since you already built the Scout and have a decent build under your belt, and you want something to replace your Cub. There is one plane that comes mind and that's this guy, the Shrubsmacker. This is not a FT original plane, it was designed by @Grifflyer and flies really well at low speeds, high speed, is really maneuverable, and is stable in the wind. As a Mini it even handles the weather nice too. There is no build video but you should check it out.

This is the one I built, I have a thread on it, here is the link. Check it out

I'm getting caught up on indoor stuff today, as it's a rain-er. Made the most out of yesterday's weather, though it was just too windy for me to fly.

Thanks Squirreltail for your insight on the mini Scout. I plan on 4 channel whatever it is, even if I don't use the rudder, it's nice to use to trim out the plane.

Battleaxe, I'll put the Shrubsmacker on the list. I like the Simple Scout just fine, and would stick with it as my main plane except space is my main issue. I try to keep 2 to 3 mistakes from the tree and that makes me feel confined. There is a whole lot more to the story, as I'll explain later. I won't be building another plane for a few weeks at best. More later.