LitterBug's dRonin / iNav / Aura5 / ArduPilot / *Flight FC enabled Wingy Thingys

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Trying to figure out an annoying problem with the Caddx Walnut and GYROflow. When the video files split at 5 minutes, the gyro data is no longer in sync and GYROflow is ineffective for stabilizing anything but the first 5 minute file of video. "Joining" files doesn't work either. The gyro data for the 2nd file is flat in the screenshot below...

1685447802150.png

If I edit the 2nd or 3rd "split" file, the gyro data is there, but GYROflow does not generate sync points automatically. I tried manually creating sync points with no luck
1685448122169.png

I am on the latest version of GyroFlow 1.5 and it does the same thing on Windows and Ubuntu Linux. Also on latest Caddx Walnut firmware.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: I may have just figured part of this out. Looks like the Gyro timestamps on the 2nd video file are off by almost 1 second (982ms). messed with the autosync settings to get it to "lock in". Will try exporting 2nd and 3rd stabilized video and merging them with another video editing tool.
1685449730492.png

Attachments

• 1685447527546.png
    1685447527546.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmmm... Looks like Ardupilot/ELRS telemetry are not currently compatible... Drat.

Note ELRS (ExpressLRS) RC systems use the Crossfire protocol and are connected in a similar manner. However, it does not provide bi-directional telemetry like Crossfire.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ahhhh. Telemetry and the lua script do indeed work with ArduPilot and I just need to adjust some of the link settings. Painless360 has a video addressing this exact issue I was having

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So the Nano Skyhunter is going into FliteFest Combat and is being de-FCed
IMG_20230623_185004929.jpg

Parts freed up for other builds!

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Swapped the RP2 for a RP1 ELRS RX on the Omnibus F4 Nano V6.1. it will be going in to Nano Goblin #2 replacing the FT Aura 5 and can run both INAV and Ardupilot. Need to dig out another nano GPS, but that may take care of itself as a guy at the field needs some soldering work done on some new FCs he's picked up and offered a GPS for trade.
IMG_20230707_112610589.jpg

Configuring initially on ArduPilot
nanov6.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FYI The previous diagram does not accurately reflect the layout of the Omnibus F4 Nano V6.x. this is more accurate:
OmnibusF4NanoV62_pinout.jpg

Parameters of interest for setting up the OF4N V6.x with ArduPilot PLANE
Serial RX on RX3/TX3=Serial4 GPS on RX6/TX6=Serial3
ARMING: Arming check 1 is too broad for the limited # of sensors on this build. 12650 good for testing. Should add voltage check when live
ARMING_RUDDER = 0 (disable stick arming/disarming)
RC5_OPTION=153 (switch arm/disarm)
BOARD: BRD_ALT_CONFIG does not exist. don't need it anyway, default options working fine
COMPASS_ENABLE=0
GPS: GPS_GNSS_MODE=3, GPS_RATE_MS=100ms
SERIAL3 _BAUD=115, _PROTOCOL=5 (GPS)
SERIAL4 _PROTOCOL=23 (RCIN)

TAER config:
RCMAP_PITCH 3
RCMAP_ROLL 2
RCMAP_THROTTLE 1
RCMAP_YAW 4
RSSI_TYPE = 3 (ReceiverProtocol)

Still have not managed to get the Yappu LUA script to work correctly with ELRS. I am getting telemetry from ardupilot to the TX, but it is not in a format that Yappu is happy with. I see individual sensors, where I get a data stream with no sensors when using FRSKY telemetry.
DOH! In the YAPPU CONFIG, you must ENABLE CRSF SUPPORT. :) working now!

Am getting GPS data down in the cave, but I had to get the initial FIX upstairs.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Adding Battery monitoring to the OF4N. Picked up a XT30 connector/current sensor and wired it up to the FC. I have not fine tuned the battery parameters for accuracy yet, just taking the defaults.
To enable Battery monitoring, I set the following parameters in ArduPilot

BATT_MONITOR = 4 (Analog Voltage and Current)

The following paremeters were then available and are at default values
BATT_VOLT_PIN = 12
BATT_VOLT_MULT = 12
BATT_CURR_PIN = 11
BATT_CURR_MULT = 18.2

With my meter I show 15.96V from the meter and the FC is getting 15.6. (reading low)

A little math 11 / 15.6 * 15.96 = 11.25 should get the voltage to match my meter for the voltage multiplier. Will need to generate some load on the battery to calculate a more accurate current reading while passing through an inline current meter that I have.

IMG_20230716_222627222.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Adding another wingy thingy. Strix Goblin. It's a speed beast!

IMG_20230824_083832622.jpg

Need to pick up motor and GPS to finish. Going with ELRS and ArduPilot on an Omnibus F4 Nano V6.1

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This could have turned out really bad but instead, just had a really nauseous passenger. Servo glued in to wing, but appears the sticker on the servo pealed off of the servo allowing it to move around. I have been noticing some oddness in how nano goblin #2 has been flying since getting back from FliteFest. Well today, I was flying LOS and giving rides under the goggles to people at the field. On my 4th flight today, as soon as I cancelled auto launch, it just wanted to turn left, but not right. Decided to just circle down to the field and land with minimal stick input. Got it back to the bench and found one servo did not have full up throw. Thought maybe a gear slipped and re-adjusted the pushrod. Threw it back in the air and it flew fine. After I landed, I noticed the servo on one wing was sticking up rather than flush. Hmmm... that's the side I just adjusted. Pushed on the servo and it popped back down. WHAT??? Pulled up on the servo with the control horn and found the label still firmly glued to the wing but the servo could come completely out.
IMG_20230930_195524850.jpg

Fortunately I was able to still fly it and the servo did not pop completely out. This bird has not taken a "big hit". Going to make sure there is glue on the tabs, not just the body....

LB

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
I alwaus take the label off the servo if I am gluing it into a foam wing.
ServoLink2.JPG

In this case as the servo is a tight fit in the foam the mounting lugs are cut off as well.
Glued on four of the surfaces of the servo body it will not move. It has to be cut out if it ever needs replacing.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I alwaus take the label off the servo if I am gluing it into a foam wing.
View attachment 240278
In this case as the servo is a tight fit in the foam the mounting lugs are cut off as well.
Glued on four of the surfaces of the servo body it will not move. It has to be cut out if it ever needs replacing.
I got burned by pulling the label off a servo once. Glue (foam tac) made it through the case and into the gears. Burned if you do, burned if you don't. I have been trying to glue the tabs in since then. Been flying goblin #2 for several years now. Think the heat of it sitting in the bed of my truck on way up and back from FF#23 may have been a contributing factor in the label glue releasing. I had issues with the glue bonding Goblin #1 together after FF23 too.

IMG_20230625_133037096_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmm. Took Nano Goblin #2 to the field tonight after fixing the loose servo. Funny thing is, it's still not right. After playing with it in the air on two flights, it appears the Aura 5 gyro has gone wonky. I usually take off and fly in gyro mode so I switched to auto leveling mode and full manual. Those two modes work fine. Even with the motor off, it doesn't fly right in gyro mode. Going to try a full reset on the board and go from there. Worst case, I'll just fly in full manual mode until swapping it out for the ArduPilot controller setup I have ready to go in.

Cheers!
LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Interesting. Appears I usually fly in manual mode and that is what is borked. Plugged in to the Aura config tool and that cleared a few things up. Also made me take a closer look at the NG and I found major warpage on both elevons. Will have to work on flattening them out. Amazing how well the gyro and leveling modes are able to compensate for the physical deformations.

Cheers!
LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been playing with a couple of Matek CRSF-PWM with vario boards and ELRS Recievers. Matek ELRS-R24-V with a pre installed Matek ELRS RX and 6 pinned PWM outputs, and a Matek CRSF-PWM-V10 with a RadioMaster RP3 diversity RX I installed myself and 10 pinned PWM outputs . These will go in to my Glider Haul from a recent swap meet. They have all the Telemetry I would like, without the Flight Controller capability and for a less expensive cost. Battery, Altitude, Tx/Rx RSSI, GPS, ETC.

IMG_20231021_100135091.jpg

SwapMeetHaul.jpg

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
This could have turned out really bad but instead, just had a really nauseous passenger. Servo glued in to wing, but appears the sticker on the servo pealed off of the servo allowing it to move around. I have been noticing some oddness in how nano goblin #2 has been flying since getting back from FliteFest. Well today, I was flying LOS and giving rides under the goggles to people at the field. On my 4th flight today, as soon as I cancelled auto launch, it just wanted to turn left, but not right. Decided to just circle down to the field and land with minimal stick input. Got it back to the bench and found one servo did not have full up throw. Thought maybe a gear slipped and re-adjusted the pushrod. Threw it back in the air and it flew fine. After I landed, I noticed the servo on one wing was sticking up rather than flush. Hmmm... that's the side I just adjusted. Pushed on the servo and it popped back down. WHAT??? Pulled up on the servo with the control horn and found the label still firmly glued to the wing but the servo could come completely out.
View attachment 240272
Fortunately I was able to still fly it and the servo did not pop completely out. This bird has not taken a "big hit". Going to make sure there is glue on the tabs, not just the body....

LB

2 additional tricks before gluing the servo is to wipe it clean with alcohol to remove all of the contaminants and make sure the glue is hot coming from the nozzle. Found that out by not waiting long enough for the glue gun to heat up at the field and suffered the same results.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I use Foamtac and E6000 on these foam birds, not hot glue. I use plenty of hot glue on my DTFB builds. Guess I should build a DTFB bird to put an FC in. :-D Maybe the FT Explorer kit gathering dust in my office.

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
1699108460516.png

Interesting fact about the black and gold Thunder Tiger eHawk 1400 pictured above that I picked up at a swap meet. The stock fuselage was plastic and it had a v-tail. They were highly prone to getting in to unrecoverable death spins.
1699108201058.png

The one I bought was an unfinished conversion to a full balsa glider.

I have been trying to find plans or any other info I could, and everything leads to this.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been playing with a couple of Matek CRSF-PWM with vario boards and ELRS Recievers. Matek ELRS-R24-V with a pre installed Matek ELRS RX and 6 pinned PWM outputs, and a Matek CRSF-PWM-V10 with a RadioMaster RP3 diversity RX I installed myself and 10 pinned PWM outputs . These will go in to my Glider Haul from a recent swap meet. They have all the Telemetry I would like, without the Flight Controller capability and for a less expensive cost. Battery, Altitude, Tx/Rx RSSI, GPS, ETC.

View attachment 240570
View attachment 240575
A few of us have been testing all variants of the Matek CRSF-PWM boards for a bug that will if hit, cause an unrecoverable failsafe of the boards. Until Matek provides a patch, I will not fly with ANY Variants of it. I have verified the issue on the ELRS-R24-V, CRSF-PWM-V10, and CRSF-PWM-V. Others have verified it on the -B and -6 versions. Best guess is it may have something to do with a bad telemetry calculation.

LB