Need help - Use Holybro Flight Controller for Fixed wing airplane

Dbourdea

I just finished 3D printing the Eclipson Model A and finished assembling it. I'm mostly a quad flyer and have some quad flight controllers laying around from broken quads. I wanted to see if I could use a Holybro Kakute F7 flight controller with the Model A for flight stabilization. However, I'm not sure how to bridge my knowledge gap of quad building to airplane building with flight stabilization while using parts from quad projects. I have a FrSky D4R-II receiver (4 channel server connectors), and an XM+ receiver. What I don't know is how to incorporate either of the receivers with the FC AND (more importantly) the servos (which is generally something you don't deal with on quads.)

1. My understanding is that I could connect the servos to the motor pins on the FC but I'm not sure how to wire that.
2. I don't know how to power the FC either, since it usually gets it power from the 4-in-1 ESC. Would I use the 5v power coming from the ESC for the prop or use a different battery source?
3. If I used the FrSky D4R-II would I connect the servos to the receiver and use the SBUS connector to connect it to the FC or just the SBUS and then connect the servos the FC through the motor control connections?

I'm currently running betaflight on the FC and could flash with iNAV if necessary.

All of the other advanced stuff that the FC provides (FPV, UARTs, etc.) are a nice to have and I probably will use on the plane at some time in the future. However, If I never get the FC to work the other stuff is moot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dbourdea

I am willing to work with content creators if they see this as an opportunity to share the setup with their fans.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’m far from an expert in this area. It’s a lot of work to use a quad FC on a plane. Most people will opt for something like the Matek FC, it’s made for planes from the ground up. Like this one
http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-wse

Any servos that you want themFC to control will need to be connected to the FC. If you don’t want the FC to control it, connect it to the Rx. Servos generate a lot of electrical noise. They will make your FC go crazy if they are connected to the same 5v power source. Either use separate 5v regulators, one for servos & one for FC, or a lot of filtering. Some FC have the filtering already installed. You will need to make your own power rails to power the servos.