Looking for a cheap FPV Setup with 1km range (0.6 miles aprox.)

MarioGdV

Hello all!

As I said before in the title, I want to buy a FPV Setup for my plane which at least 1km of range.
I saw this one, and I think it's good enough. It has a 600TLV 1/4 camera and a Eachine VTX03 Transmitter with a modified antenna (if I buy it, I won't change it).
I don't have any FPV Goggles, and I would like to, but they are a bit expensive. Do you think the Eachine ROTG02 (with other antennas) will work?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
A 200mW Tx should go well beyond 1 km, its the antennas that are the important thing. Make sure to get a decent quality antenna of the same type on both the Tx & Rx. I've had my 200mW setup out to 2 miles.

I'd recommend one with a screw on antenna (SMA), not the snap on one (UFL). Pay attention to where the pin is the screw on, SMA, antenna, some will have the pin on the Tx/Rx & some will have the pin on the antenna.

I'd recommend you watch all 8 of the videos from IBcrazy - Success in FPV

Last edited:

BS projects inc.

Elite member
My build for "long range"

Platform:
https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Mi...Airplane-PNP-p-1085492.html?cur_warehouse=USA

FPV Transmitter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRS9PRH/?tag=lstir-20

Antennas:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J9N0GDO/?tag=lstir-20

The plane itself and everything on board cost about $115 and I get about 2km of range, if you need an RC transmitter and goggles as well then I recommend the flysky fsia6x and the eachine ev800

I actually use the nano goblin but the mini sky hunter can carry the same payload.

Bricks

Master member
When it comes to FP goggles first question do you have trouble seeing things close up as this can determine what type to get. As I am older I cannot use regular goggles I have to use the box style as I cannot see the blurry screens in regular goggles that close to my eyes.

MarioGdV

Thank you so much for the help! I forgot to tell you that I'm going to use the FT Sportster. It's more heavy than usual because it was a Scratch Building, and the foam I used is a bit heavier than the FT one. It flies well, but now that I've removed the landing gear it's going to fly better.
I saw this Tx in Bangood, it is cheap, has 200 mW and I can change its antenna.
I don't really want to buy FPV Goggles yet, because they are a bit expensive. I've decided to buy the Rx Eachine ROTG02. What do you think?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What do you think?

It checks all the boxes for me. I'd recommend replacing the antenna, get a pair of circular polarized, some type of clover leaf. I don't care if they are right hand or left hand, they just need to be the same. Also that Tx is RP-SMP, its got the pin on the Tx. Make sure your antenna's is with out a pin. Life will be easier if your Rx is also RP-SMA, so they will both use the same antenna. If you get a camera that runs on 12V, you can power everything off the balance plug on a 3S battery in your plane. I'd recommend a Rx that records the video, it may help you find a lost plane someday.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I go to 2km with a 600mw easily, on a noisy setup.

I would recommend getting at least a pair of box goggles, much better to use than a screen and a decent set should only be about $50.

MarioGdV

Is the EV800D okay? There are cheaper goggles, but I want to have Diversity. My second option is the EV800, but I don't know how important Diversity is.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
The EV800 are really good, only problem is the small faceplate which can make it uncomfortable to wear. Otherwise I can recommend those, they have a good receiver and screen (I only have the first version).
The VR D2 pro are getting cheap now as well and those are good too.

Bricks

Master member
Even thou I cannot use them make sure there is the option of a fan, guys at the field complain all the time how hot they get.

MarioGdV

Hey, thanks for helping me. I just realized that the range of my radio is not long enough. It's the Flysky FS-i6, and my receiver is the FS-IA6. Even with a better receiver, the range can't reach 1km. I saw some videos in which people can go to 2'5km easily, but everyone says the average range is 0'5km. Some people change the antenna of the RC Tx, but it just makes the signal stronger, and it doesn't go further. I guess I'll have to buy a better transmitter and wait a bit more for the FPV Setup.
Anyways, thank you for your help!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Even with a better receiver, the range can't reach 1km.

I've got the older FlySky Rx, the one with the one dipole antenna, I've had it out 2 miles (3.2 km). The dipole antenna will give you more range. I have my antenna mounted vertically on a small mast on my plane. Do a range check before you assume it can't be done. Some Rx's are just better than others. I test mine to see how far I can get. If I can get a clear signal @ 1/4 mile with the Rx on the ground, its a good one that I will set aside to FPV with.

Last edited:

MarioGdV

make sure your antennas are mounted properly.

Do you mean with a 90º angle? Like this?

SAM_0002.JPG

(I saw that in another Forum).

This weekend I will test the receiver to see its range.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
The ia 6b rx can give you 2km easily, make sur to mount one antenna vertically and one horizontaly (at least I do it this way, I modded my radio to have a vertical antenna).

I still can get about 700m of range on my ia 6a rx also.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Yes like that, but the way I did it was one antenna running down the bottom of my bixler tail boom and the other sticking up a good few inches out the top of the boom. the idea is to get it as fat away as possible from other electrical components.

MarioGdV

Hey guys! Finally, I received all the components. I connected everything, but it doesn't work at all. Maybe I should create another post for this problem, but I'm going to write it here for now. I have the Tx and the Rx in the same frequency, but it doesn't show the video, it's just a black image, as if the camera isn't connected or doesn't receive enough voltage.
IMG_20181228_172911150.jpg

IMG_20181228_172528398.jpg

The 2 Tx cables are connected to the Radio Rx.

IMG_20181228_172705642.jpg

The FPV camera is connected to the Tx with the V, GND and Video cables. I cut the green one (audio) because I didn't want to use it.

IMG_20181228_172711672.jpg

The camera can handle even 36V, so it's impossible that I had overpowered it.

I don't know what to do, but I think the camera is damaged or something, because the Vx works fine and I can connect it to the goggles.

ManInaShed

Hey guys! Finally, I received all the components. I connected everything, but it doesn't work at all. Maybe I should create another post for this problem, but I'm going to write it here for now. I have the Tx and the Rx in the same frequency, but it doesn't show the video, it's just a black image, as if the camera isn't connected or doesn't receive enough voltage.
View attachment 121025

View attachment 121026
The 2 Tx cables are connected to the Radio Rx.

View attachment 121027
The FPV camera is connected to the Tx with the V, GND and Video cables. I cut the green one (audio) because I didn't want to use it.

View attachment 121028
The camera can handle even 36V, so it's impossible that I had overpowered it.

I don't know what to do, but I think the camera is damaged or something, because the Vx works fine and I can connect it to the goggles.
Is the VTX power connected too the RX ? If that is the case probably a low voltage issue and not a good ay of powering the VTX.

MarioGdV

Is the VTX power connected too the RX ? If that is the case probably a low voltage issue and not a good ay of powering the VTX.

That explains why I couldn't select the 800 mW mode. I've just connected it to a 11'1V battery, and now I can select the high mW mode, but the screen is still black.