Looking For Presentation Tips :)

RCPilot1234

Hi everyone,

My name is Francis Harris and I've got a passion for video editing and RC, particularly 3D planes. Currently I'm sponsored with Precision Aerobatics and working on a how-to 3D series with them :) I'm also working with Blackout on a build video for his Mini H-Quad.

I recently bought a Canon C100 camcorder with Sanken COS-11D mic and my friend and I are trying to make RC videos to help others. Here's one I quickly threw together (private link only, please don't share :)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFEd7X3JGw

I'm just wondering if you guys could give us some tips? My friend Matt (the guy in the video) is 17 and I'm 19.

This is just a private test and the final videos will be a lot better, and yes we will have a shoulder rig to make the zoomed in shots less jittery :eek:

Kind regards,
Francis :)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Great camera work. I love the shot of the plane flying by, and then you can see the pilots face in the shot. It isn't easy to follow a plane around, but the camera man does an amazing job.

I think the editing just needs a few touch ups. One thing I noticed is that the speech could be a little louder. Some videos are horrid at having the talking really quiet and music very loud. You actually did a really good job at keeping the volume uniform, but the speech could still be a little louder. I'm probably just being picky about it.

I gather that the point of the video is to test out the light kit. I think you should have made that more clear. Or did the video even have a point? If the video had a clear purpose, I'm unsure of what it was.

RCPilot1234

Great camera work. I love the shot of the plane flying by, and then you can see the pilots face in the shot. It isn't easy to follow a plane around, but the camera man does an amazing job.

I think the editing just needs a few touch ups. One thing I noticed is that the speech could be a little louder. Some videos are horrid at having the talking really quiet and music very loud. You actually did a really good job at keeping the volume uniform, but the speech could still be a little louder. I'm probably just being picky about it.

I gather that the point of the video is to test out the light kit. I think you should have made that more clear. Or did the video even have a point? If the video had a clear purpose, I'm unsure of what it was.

Many thanks for the feedback! :) I agree with everything you said there :)

Regarding the speech I've got the Sanken COS-11DBP lapel mic plugged directly into the Canon C100, however I've enabled limiting which stops the voice from clipping. What I think it's doing is muffling the audio a tad as the voice for all the shots was at +3db, whereas the music was at -7db for the shots with no voice and -17db for the shots with voice. Next time I'm gonna take off limiting and see if that helps :) This setup works pretty well as I got the lapel mic into channel 1, then channel 2 uses the built in mic which records the noise of the plane and other sounds in the environment :) Still need to work on mixing it better! :)

Actually there's not much point to the video, haha :D If I were to test it for a proper video it'd be far more in-depth, this was basically a quick overview/test video of the 42 Slick for the proper videos coming soon! :)

Once again thanks so much for helping out! :) Means a lot to the production :)

Kind regards,

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Overall the video is pretty good. Your camera guy does a great job following the plane. I have to agree the voice is a little low but I am sure that can be adjusted as you get better. Other then that great job

Ronaldf

Be careful with the music. Don't let it distract from the video content. For this kind of video, a couple of 3D fly-in transitions might be appropriate, but again don't let it distract from the content.

RCPilot1234

Overall the video is pretty good. Your camera guy does a great job following the plane. I have to agree the voice is a little low but I am sure that can be adjusted as you get better. Other then that great job

Many thanks! :) Definitely gonna get a shoulder rig to smooth out a lot of the jitters and reduce fatigue. After about 10 minutes holding the C100 your hand will start to ache :(

Definitely agrees with the voice! :) Just did some testing and turned off the limiter and now it's better and less muffled :)

Really appreciate all the feedback! :)

Kind regards,

RCPilot1234

Be careful with the music. Don't let it distract from the video content. For this kind of video, a couple of 3D fly-in transitions might be appropriate, but again don't let it distract from the content.

Totally agree with that!! :) The proper episodes will be a lot longer (8-9 minutes) and there won't be music the whole time :)

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Kind regards,