Looking for RC airplanes to buy

Clement

Hello guys. I have a frustrating issue. I would like to buy realistic looking RC models of the B52, B17 and B2 spirit but the issues are

1. I can't seem to find any RC B52 airplanes to buy online.

2. The RC B17 and B2 spirit I saw on sale are too large for me, their wingspans are about 1600mm or more which is just too big for me. I am looking for something with a wingspan not more than 800mm. I found a nice looking RC B17 with a wingspan of 740mm which is ideal for me but realised the model is no longer in production.

I am curious to know why model manufacturers do not like to cater to the needs of people that prefer smaller sized but realistic looking models with wingspans 800mm or less.

I will really appreciate if anyone can point me to a site where I can purchase B52s, B17s and B2 spirits with wingspans 800mm or less.

Thanks so much

If this helps any: Remaining at or close to scale, the smaller they go, the harder they are to fly. For a plane that started out big to begin with, like a big WW2 bomber, there are limits. I would say definitely all injection-molded foam Chinese models with stabilization, and even they will only go so small before it isn't worth trying to fly it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

quorneng

Master member
Monte.C is exactly right.
Its all to do with the fact that the air is not scaled so behaves differently at small sizes. The smaller it sets the bigger the difference.

What you start from makes a difference. The B17 had a pretty big wing relative to the rest of it so it can be scaled down quite small but it still would not fly like one. Small propellers don't scale either so you end up with a small light plane with a very short endurance.
Modern jets with narrow swept wings do not scale down well at all. The only possibilities are the delta bombers (Like the B58 Hustler or the Avro Vulcan) as a delta wing creates lift differently to a normal one.

Super light and with stabilisation can go pretty small but how are you going to power a multi jet bomber? A single prop on the nose or tail is possible but would it attract the interest to do one like that commercially?
Now if you can design and build something yourself then how small is down to your preference and skill.

Tench745

Master member
What the heck is that thing?
Definitely not a B-52, no matter what the box says.
B52:
images

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I bet that design would be really easy to build in foamboard, on a small design you would only need 2 motors working on the wing, the other 2 could be dummy motors with free spinning props

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
It looks okay, pity its a Spektrum with AS3x. But I guess if you like models that you don't actually fly yourself, its okay.
Why does everything have to have flight assist these days :rolleyes:. What happened to models that you had to use your skills to fly ? You don't even need to learn how to take off and land these days, the planes do it for you :sleep:.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
It looks okay, pity its a Spektrum with AS3x. But I guess if you like models that you don't actually fly yourself, its okay.
Why does everything have to have flight assist these days :rolleyes:. What happened to models that you had to use your skills to fly ? You don't even need to learn how to take off and land these days, the planes do it for you :sleep:.
I can’t afford all that fancy stuff. So I fly the old school way….

Clement

Thank you for your comments guys, however SSgt Duramax posted a link to a B25 with a wingspan of 550mm and Merv posted a link to a B17 with a wingspan of 740mm, and personally I have a pusher prop boeing 787, the QF 800, these are small models but they all fly very well with gyro stabilization. I'm just sad that the B17 was discontinued, I wonder why. Please point me to places I can buy the B17, B52 and B2 spirit models with wingspans of about 800mm if you know any. I will really appreciate that.

Those 1600mm wingspan models are tooooo big for me and I won't even have space to store them.