Looking for something docile and forgiving to fly in smaller spaces...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I want to repeat everything said previously about the scout/mini scout, they are excellent airplanes that really grow with you. I have both in my fleet at the moment, even as an experienced pilot. Very smooth and easygoing, but can also be fast and manuverable with a bigger motor and higher rates. Highly Reccomend!
Experienced pilot?? :unsure::unsure:
:p:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'd 2nd the UMX timber for a great park flier. It can fly very slowly but still powerful enough to have some good fun with.

Here's a little video for comparison:

I've built a lot of foam board planes, many FT designs and quite a few of my own trying to go smaller and slower. None of them work as well as my chuck glider conversions, not to mention the fact they are nearly indestructible.

Me and the boys like doing "Glider combat" with my converted chuck gliders. Eventually they'll be good enough to join me in the air with theirs...

And nothing wrong with the FT foam planes either, as was mentioned before, the scout would be a good pick.

GrolarBear

I'd 2nd the UMX timber for a great park flier. It can fly very slowly but still powerful enough to have some good fun with.

Here's a little video for comparison:

I've built a lot of foam board planes, many FT designs and quite a few of my own trying to go smaller and slower. None of them work as well as my chuck glider conversions, not to mention the fact they are nearly indestructible.

Me and the boys like doing "Glider combat" with my converted chuck gliders. Eventually they'll be good enough to join me in the air with theirs...

And nothing wrong with the FT foam planes either, as was mentioned before, the scout would be a good pick.

The Timber would be next to perfect, with the exception that it's pre-built and $150 (it looks like they might be out of production already and the remaining stock is it). I really do want something that I can involve my kids in building, even if I end up doing most of the work, I want them to see and learn that "If you want something cool you can always make it yourself,"

I just looked at your youtube channel and your converted Lidl Blackhawk is about the best flying chuck glider conversion that I've seen... WAY too fast for what I want and I don't think I could make it work in the limited space that I have, but it flies and looks INCREDIBLE. I haven't seen much that small look that "on rails" in the wind. Out of curiosity, are you using a flight controller (and which one if you are)? How big is the Lidl chuck glider? You have me wanting one for myself, my kids have some very nice, very similar looking chuck gliders that have a 15" wingspan, a bit too small to "convert."

Vimana89

Legendary member
Maybe a slow flyer like the "Mini Speedster Biplane" or a simple bird good at high alpha like the FT Flyer would be a good choice to fly in a small area. My own design, the Arrowhead(tailed delta), is also decent for this, and everyone who's tried it so far finds it easy to fly. I also really like the FT mini DR1, but it may be a little tougher to get "dialed in" right than the others I've suggested.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I know what you mean, I've seen a ton of converted gliders that look, and fly, janky at best. I've worked at them long enough to have some good technique down in getting them built right. A big part is keeping them light, unless you want a rocket on your hands. I think a lot of people try to use the little gliders like my boys are throwing in that video. They're just a bit too small to work well for conversion. It also seems most people use way too much motor. It doesn't take much to keep a chuck glider in the air. It's hard to find good gliders with 24" + wings. My favorite ones were made by HiTec, called a Hawkeye, and right at 24" they were perfect for conversions. I've still got a little stash of them ive hoarded that I build and repair with.

My "Blackbird" is a banggood knock off of the Lidl glider available in Europe. Its wingspan is about 33" They get theirs for under $10, if we want one in the states it's more like $20-$25. I have a similar one I find on Amazon once in a while as well, also about $25. That's a bit steep for a foam glider but they work so well and are so durable it is worth it to me.

That Lidl Blackbird is 245 grams even with twin engines and FPV. It is actually capable of flying amazingly slow if you want. I have the spektrum nanolite AR6335 which does have As3x stabilization which is nice. It makes light little planes handle the wind with ease. That plane though, flies like it's on rails without the stabilizer as well.

For a first build, especially with kids, the FT planes are a great way to go. The once you get the hang of that I'd recommend a glider conversion project for sure!