Looking to get into FPV on a budget

mmeyer

I spent my afternoon scouting out new places to fly and I found a few which would be perfect for some close-quarters FPV flying. This has motivated me to finally get all the FPV kit I need.

I already have the video TX and RX but nothing else. The biggest unknown for me is the viewing medium (monitor vs goggles). Traditional FPV goggles (Fatsharks etc) are well out of my price range and seeing as I will often fly alone, the idea of being completely closed off to the outside world is a bit undesirable to me. As such I am leaning towards a monitor. What have been people's experiences with close-quarters FPV with monitors vs goggles?
Would either of these be suitable monitor options:
http://www.fpvmodel.com/towin-l8008-bnc-av-vga-3-in-1-8-inch-color-lcd-monitor_g1002.html
http://www.fpvmodel.com/super-7-inch-tft-color-lcd-snow-screen-800-x-480-hd-fpv-monitor_g986.html

Secondly is the camera. I currently have a GoPro and a cable which can be plugged into the VTX however I am aware of the latency and am thinking it would probably be best to move straight to a board camera. When it comes to board cameras I am a little bit lost.
Are these cameras any good:
http://www.fpvmodel.com/sony-4140-673-ccd-board-camera-700tvl_g1037.html
http://www.fpvmodel.com/tarot-12v-600tvl-2-8mm-fpv-camera-tl300m-tl300mn_g883.html

Finally is the antenna. I thought I already had some but I cant seem to locate them unfortunately. How much does the quality of the antenna affect the quality of the video signal.
Would either of the following antennas be suitable or should I spend a bit more:
http://www.fpvmodel.com/tarot-5-8g-fpv-telemetry-antenna-set-tl300k-_g882.html
http://www.fpvmodel.com/aomway-5-8g-4-leaf-clover-rhcp-antenna-for-tx-rx_g867.html (I noticed UAVFutures on YouTube uses this particular antenna)

Cheers

RipAir

afaik. you cant go wrong with 600tvl's in terms of latency and the HS 1177 cameras are also recommendable

for the other parts, im more into goggles and im also still discovering the antennas :p

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Budget FPV is like military intelligence; a contradiction in terms. No foolin' this is addictive. :)

Flying with goggles is completely immersive. When I fly LOS, I keep my eyes on my copter. If my dog gets into the yard, I see her and land immediately. I do not fly over people or pets, but also, I cannot achieve the level of concentration needed to fly well with her distracting me. If I take my eyes off the copter for even a second just to note her position in the yard, I can lose orientation and that's how bad things happen. For me anyway, concentration is absolutely key.

Goggles are immersive. You don't get distracted by outside influences such as your dog getting into the yard. This is a two edged blade as you are less aware of your personal surroundings. If you fly in an area where your personal safety or the safety of others MUST intrude upon your flight, use a monitor. You won't fly as well and it won't be as much fun. If you can fly in a place where safety is assured (by a spotter maybe) use goggles.

Using a monitor to fly FPV is like being the designated driver on Friday night. It's fun but you never get fully involved in the party. If you fly with a monitor, get one with a sun shield. I don't care how bright they say the monitor is, in full sunlight, without a sun shield, it's pretty hard to see unless you stick your head under a hood at which point, you may as well use goggles.

I have seen people duct tape cardboard to one of these monitors to create a sun shield. If that works for you and saves you $50 go for it.

The one I use is not the cheapest but it's not expensive and the sun shield works:
http://www.surveilzone.com/5.8g-2ch-diversity-receiver-7-lcd-fpv-monitor-800X480-no-blue-screen-cm1119f

This monitor has a diversity receiver and a DVR. If you want to you can connect goggles to it in the future. I record my flight so that when I crash I can playback and find where I crashed. Put your monitor on a tripod. You will want it stable and properly adjusted for you while you fly.

FPV Cameras with Sony Super HAD II:
http://impulserc.com/hs1177-fpv-camera-2
http://www.surveilzone.com/DC5V-plastic-case-mini-sony-super-had-ccd-600tvl-super-camera-2.8mm-lens-for-fpv

I have two types of board cams. I find the ones in the plastic case last longer and cost less in the long run.

Antenna matters more at range. In my yard, I can fly without an antenna (do NOT try this, you can fry your transmitter) and I see just fine. If you are flying at ranges of 100-200 ft, don't sweat it too hard. The antenna is the first thing you break when you crash. Don't spend too much on an antenna unless you are flying high and far.

Last edited:

mmeyer

Budget FPV is like military intelligence; a contradiction in terms.
I can't say I wasn't expecting this, its a recurring theme in this hobby. Also very eloquently put :)

Anyway, seeing as I will be flying with no spotter most of the time and in areas where people often come to walk dogs and such I think I might give the goggles a miss, at least for the time being. Also as I do not have a great deal of confidence in my ability (I am only just now transitioning from self-level to acro) I think having that extra situational awareness might be helpful and will put my mind at ease somewhat.

The one I use is not the cheapest but it's not expensive and the sun shield works:
http://www.surveilzone.com/5.8g-2ch...cd-fpv-monitor-800X480-no-blue-screen-cm1119f

Beyond the dvr and convenience of having an all in one unit, are there any other advantages to a monitor like the one you suggested over a standalone monitor?

On the topic of cameras, is 2.8mm the commonly used lens and is the distiction between pal and ntsc important? Also what are the advantages of the Sony Super HAD II over other sensors (i assume its the sensor).

Don't spend too much on an antenna unless you are flying high and far.
I was very happy to hear this, I was worried about the antenna in crashes so its nice to know I don't have to spend all my hard earned money on them :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Beyond the dvr and convenience of having an all in one unit, are there any other advantages to a monitor like the one you suggested over a standalone monitor?

Flying FPV is different, VERY different. When you fly LOS and you crash, you saw where you went down. With FPV you don't. The DVR allows me to replay the video to see the last few seconds before the crash. You cannot believe how valuable this is when you can't find your copter. Seriously, this one aspect is HUGE.

I can connect my goggles to the receiver. My receiver is on a telescopic tripod. I can extend the tripod and put the receiver up much higher than my head for better RF reception.

I can let other people see what I see when I fly. This is great for people who are afraid of 'spy drones'. Once they see my video feed, it becomes cool instead of threatening.

On the topic of cameras, is 2.8mm the commonly used lens and is the distiction between pal and ntsc important? Also what are the advantages of the Sony Super HAD II over other sensors (i assume its the sensor).

2.8mm is what is commonly used. It is a good picture for high speed flight with very little 'fisheye'. NTSC is used for TV in the US. PAL is used for most of the rest of the Earth. Get the one that matches your TV (probably PAL) for as little hassle as possible. Sony Super HAD II is popular as heck. I don't know why but the cameras are easy to set up via OSD and do well in most lighting conditions. I have 4 Sony HAD IIs on copters in my hangar today (two with the plastic covers and two without) and I love the video I get from them.

I was very happy to hear this, I was worried about the antenna in crashes so its nice to know I don't have to spend all my hard earned money on them :)

I would just run a straight antenna in the yard. I doubt you will notice a difference unless you fly around your house or have blasting WIFI in your neighborhood or are flying around metal bleachers, chain link fences or brick walls supported with rebar.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Interesting, do you find the signal drops out a bit in hard turns, rolls and flips?

I haven't noticed any signal drop in my turns, but all my flip and roll maneuvers still end with ground contact and repairs. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have and use both a monitor and goggles. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Like Cranial said having both now lets others see what's going on and usually does more for good promotion of the hobby then just talking about it. As for cameras I only have one so far and its not programmable but I will be looking into CCD instead of CMOS just for that purpose.

Antennas I have different view but I fly under different conditions then the others. You have to choose those depending on where and how you will fly. What ever your choice I do highly suggest you get matched pairs be it cheap or expensive that seems to be the hugest effect in how well they do.

I would suggest you do research and if you have to buy it all piece by piece so you only buy your gear once as this is the biggest expenditure for the hobby and one of the most important for your and every one around's safety.

RipAir

good point that is, with something reaching 50-100km/h you dont want it to be disintegrating or loose picture in mid air

also buying a 1-2mm frame for 30 bucks twice is still more expensive than getting a 4mm for 50 bucks in the first place
and flying something decent is more fun, therefore also less likely that you will get fed up because you get a striking motor every 2nd weekend

Last edited:

mmeyer

Aaah, so many things, so many decisions to make!!!

I might just start with the linear polarised antennas and see if they serve their purpose adequately, if not I can always buy some circular ones.

Would a monitor like this work on the Boscam frequencies/be at all suitable?
http://www.fpvmodel.com/skyzone-sky...ch-lcd-fpv-monitor-built-in-dvr-sma_g739.html

Will do more camera research tomorrow, see if i can find a HS1177 for less than $60. Sigh, why does everything in Australia have to be so expensive....

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Aaah, so many things, so many decisions to make!!!

I might just start with the linear polarised antennas and see if they serve their purpose adequately, if not I can always buy some circular ones.

Would a monitor like this work on the Boscam frequencies/be at all suitable?
http://www.fpvmodel.com/skyzone-sky...ch-lcd-fpv-monitor-built-in-dvr-sma_g739.html

Will do more camera research tomorrow, see if i can find a HS1177 for less than $60. Sigh, why does everything in Australia have to be so expensive....

I think that monitor you linked to is exactly the monitor I own at a better price than I found. Nicely done.

Both of the cameras I linked to are HS1177s and one is from ImpulseRC for $35. if you don't mind dealing with Brizzy boys. :)

Last edited:

RipAir

there should be, i can get them for less than 40 here
but idd maybe its just australian customs, that has to decontaminate everything first :D

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I never even realised they were Australian, the more you know.

Australia is where drones went to WarpSpeed!

This is the video that started the multirotor mini madness that eventually went on to create the current FPV racing scene.

Soma (AKA Brian Whyte) originally called it the FrankenWarp and when it became more refined and available for sale created WarpQuad. This is his supporting thread on RCGroups.

WarpQuad went belly up due in part to copy cats creating cheap frames and started ImpulseRC. You can still buy the String Theory frames (the WarpQuad frames) at ImpulseRC. He isn't cheap. But his research is documented and his products are top of the line.

We all owe a lot to Soma and Blackout (also I believe Brizzy boys). They did the research. They broke the frames and convinced HQ to make good 5" and 6" props when all you could get were Gemfan toy plastic junk. They got motor manufacturers to go to 1806 and 2204 high kv motors when every single hobby store wanted to sell you 980kv motors and 10" CF props.

It is because of the boys from Australia that we fly tiny copters really fast. It is because of this history that I own a WarpQuad StringTheory 220mm frame and 2 Alien frames from ImpulseRC.

mmeyer

Just bought the SkyZone monitor. I'm beyond keen to get this quad flying FPV!! Now I just have to buy the camera. Thanks for everyone's input :)