Low-tech Tiny UHF Tracker Transmitter

NTTD

Not sure if this is the best spot in the forum for this. Was thinking "The Workbench" area would be the right fit but none of the sections seemed as relevant as this RF centric area.

Here's an amazing little electronics project I ran across over on Instructables.
All credit goes to TomTechTod who made the Instructable:

Low-tech Tiny UHF Tracker Transmitter
http://www.instructables.com/id/Tiny-UHF-Tracker-Transmitter/

Looks to be a fun, useful and affordable DIY lost model tracking setup. Seems a good fit for our crafty make-it-yourself community.

Uses an SDR USB dongle that can work with a computer, or even more portable, an Android phone with USB OTG input using this app.

Would be a great project for getting into the nuts-and-bolts of RF circuits and antenna design. Could be as simple as making just the circuit and buying a pre-made antenna. Or one could go down the rabbit hole of making your own directional antenna. Who knows, you might become the next IBCrazy! :cool:

The designer is saying he was getting 400M LOS which is a pretty respectable distance for such a simple low power transmitter. With some tweaking of the transmitter antenna he believes you may be able to get even better range.

I'm also thinking the receiver may be setup to be usable with existing transmitters on the model (Telemetry or Video TX frequencies) where the tracking transmitter might not be feasible.

Another project now "on the list" of my dozens of other projects. ;)