Maiden flight - FT Corsair Master Series

Geronimo

Hi everyone,

I finished the kit, did the necessary checks, and saw that I had favorable 2-5 mph winds this morning.

My first launch was under powered (1/2 throttle).. and nosed in gently. No damage, no big deal.

My second launch was at 3/4 throttle and gave me a chance to pull up, so off we went! All I can say is that it was squirrely. After about 90 seconds of flying, I decided I need to reduce the rates and/or expo, so I brought it down... only this time I thumped the ground hard enough to break the prop. I needed to calm down, so that was that. When I got home I added 30% expo to the elevator and ailerons.

Not much else to tell! The prop seemed to break pretty easily but this is the first plane I've ever had without landing gear.

Headbang

Master member
Use a quality prop like apc, and make sure to cut throttle before touching down. The HQ props included in the flight packs break real easy. Corsairs are squirly by nature, but the ft corsair has been reported to be very stable. It is still a warbird tho! It must be balanced a touch nose heavy, or it will be very squirly if not impossible to control.

Geronimo

Corsairs are squirly by nature, but the ft corsair has been reported to be very stable. It is still a warbird tho! It must be balanced a touch nose heavy, or it will be very squirly if not impossible to control.

I have the CG pretty far forward, at maybe 20% with a 2200mah batt, about the same as they show in the video. The issue is definitely the power to weight ratio, and how fast it gets moving. It seems like the first half throttle is a teaser, but it builds up fast. I've flown a lot of planes, but they were all gas and weighed 5-12 lbs. This one is 24 ounces. and even with a 3S battery the top end is silly powerful with the control throws I'm looking at. I can't imagine what a 4S battery would do.

Headbang

Master member
I have the CG pretty far forward, at maybe 20% with a 2200mah batt, about the same as they show in the video. The issue is definitely the power to weight ratio, and how fast it gets moving. It seems like the first half throttle is a teaser, but it builds up fast. I've flown a lot of planes, but they were all gas and weighed 5-12 lbs. This one is 24 ounces. and even with a 3S battery the top end is silly powerful with the control throws I'm looking at. I can't imagine what a 4S battery would do.
I find with my gassers I spend a lot of time in the upper range of throttle, right in the power band. Electric is very different. But yes sounds like you need to dial in a bunch of expo. I get flak at the field for setups with 70% expo and full rates. For me it is like having linear infinite rates. At speed you keep the sticks in the mid range, slow it down and you use full stick travel.

Geronimo

I find with my gassers I spend a lot of time in the upper range of throttle, right in the power band. Electric is very different. But yes sounds like you need to dial in a bunch of expo. I get flak at the field for setups with 70% expo and full rates. For me it is like having linear infinite rates. At speed you keep the sticks in the mid range, slow it down and you use full stick travel.

I just dialed in 30% expo on my sim and it's perfect. Thanks