Maiden Flight Of My Simple Scout! (and some tips)

awesomeSHEEPs

This morning I went to the local elementary school and flew my Simple Scout for the first time. It was also my first time flying an RC. I had a few mishaps- the grass was too tall, causing the plane to flip multiple times, breaking the landing gear and damaging the fuselage. I just did a lot of lazy circles, landing every so often. Once i tried to go inverted while on low rates, and as a result, stalled and nearly nosedived into the ground, but i manage to pull up in time. Eventually I decided to just hand launch the plane, as my static landing gear had turned into retracts! I kind of messed up the front double because the paper started peeling off after the belly landing, wetting the foam. Later in the day, I reinforced the gear with a gift card and did a semi- fix on the fuselage.

I would like to tell any new pilots the tricks i used in order for a successful maiden flight.
1. Use a Simulator! Before flying, I spent 2 weeks on a free RC simulator on my iPad, and practiced in different wind conditions, doing aerobatics, and flaring.
2. Do your research! I watched every single flitetest beginner video multiple times, and made sure i understood everything.
3. Do NOT push yourself, high up in the air! Remember the saying, get 3 mistakes high? Well, on my maiden, I had flown under 50 ft up (HORRIBLE IDEA) As a result, I risked smashing into fences, trees, and light poles, and getting snagged on power lines. When i tried to do aerobatics, i nearly crashed. Fly for multiple battery lengths before trying aerobatics.

I hope this will help any beginners out there like me. [This is basically Blind-Lead-Blind]
I will edit the post and insert a video later.

RMDC

What was the simulator you used? The high price of Phoenix and RealFlight have kept me away from fixed-wing sims. At least quad sims are cheap and plentiful these days.