Making a Y harness

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
I need a y harness and I have a load of servo extensions. If I solder the yellow wire to the yellow, red to red, brown to brown it should work right?

Thx,
Mr_Stripes

Intashu

Elite member
I happily cut up my extenders to make Y harnesses out of them. and yes just matching colors together it should work without issues.

I personally prefer to make sure to use a little piece of shrink-wrap on each wire after soldering, then put a larger piece of shrink-wrap around the whole split so there's a far less likely chance that in a crash the pulled wires will rip this joint apart... I've tested this by crashing planes where only the servo wire was holding the wing to plane when I picked it up. (not intentionally I assure you!)

Just make sure all three wires are wrapped tightly before soldering so there's less chance of signal issues and you'll be fine!

Making a Y header pin is a great idea as well.. if you already have all the necessary parts for it.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
since you have to solder anyways make this. Less chance of making a mess with small wires unless you have steady hands and good soldering skills.
I would like to make that but I don't have the parts and I don't want to wait forever to get them. I would like to make that in the future tho. Thx for the help guys!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I need a y harness and I have a load of servo extensions. If I solder the yellow wire to the yellow, red to red, brown to brown it should work right?
Yes, that will work. I recommend staggering the solder joints.
If you have the materials, PsyBorg’s Y pin header is less destructive and easily reversed.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would like to make that but I don't have the parts and I don't want to wait forever to get them. I would like to make that in the future tho. Thx for the help guys!

Well as you grow with the multi rotor part of the hobby remember that those pins come with flight controllers some times and to keep a stash of them for times like these as you progress and become an RC pack rat like the rest of us. NEVER throw small parts away,