Master Series Bf-109 Build

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
what will it do for the vertical stabilizer? it's in a totally different area, or did you mean something else that I'm just not getting?
If it's a bottom hatch you have to flip the plane over to access the battery compartment which typically means resting the plane on the vstab. Over time the vstab will get flimsy from all the battery changes.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
If it's a bottom hatch you have to flip the plane over to access the battery compartment which typically means resting the plane on the vstab. Over time the vstab will get flimsy from all the battery changes.

Oh, I see what you mean. When I switch batteries or charge them, I usually hold my plane off the bench/ground. The vstabs still get kind of beat up though.

I Placed the hatch where it is just to make battery access easier, but I guess it'll save my vstabs too!

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I finished up the hatch, and it's starting to look really cool now.
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 2.03.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 2.04.59 PM.png

Bf 109s look mean... ...even in cad.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I would recommend making the former in front of the hatch a bit stronger because it is likely to break

There's going to be one more skin to hold on to it, and the entire front will be covered in tape to hold in the motor pod, so I don't think it's going to be a problem. I made sure to come up with ways to protect it given that I broke it while I was prototyping.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I found a new way to make skins that are way more accurate than making them with Meshmixer, it's called ExactFlat. https://www.exactflat.com/

They have a plugin for Fusion 360 where I can export faces and then flatten them. The problem is, you need a paid subscription to download a pdf of the skins. That's not a problem though, I can just take a screen shot of the preview and use that to trace the skin. Problem solved! (in a *questionably* legal way)

GrizWiz

Elite member
I found a new way to make skins that are way more accurate than making them with Meshmixer, it's called ExactFlat. https://www.exactflat.com/

They have a plugin for Fusion 360 where I can export faces and then flatten them. The problem is, you need a paid subscription to download a pdf of the skins. That's not a problem though, I can just take a screen shot of the preview and use that to trace the skin. Problem solved! (in a *questionably* legal way)
Yeah I would recommend pepakura but your on mac

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Yeah I would recommend pepakura but your on mac

My dad despises Windows, and so do I. Usually I use a Linux computer, but my dad gave me his mac for remote learning because zoom runs better onit. You windows people have it easy, every application has a windows version and you probably haven't even heard of wine or dual booting. :ROFLMAO: It's a real pain when something you need doesn't come on your OS.

I think that Exactflat is way more powerful than Pepakura, because it's used professionally, to design car seats, and I think even real airplane skins.