Master Series Builds, Past Present and Future.

Jade_Monkey07

have you tried making any 50mm edf jets like the f-16 or f-14
You can always scale down the plans. I've scaled a few down 50% and it's a little bit more fiddly to get some of the parts to fit since the width of foam isnt scaling. Even the edfs, just do the edf section a few times till you get the scale right and go from there. I'd suggest removing as much paper as you can to lower the wing loading
The master p38 for example, even with the tail booms being such a tight roll worked out great.

JAMplan65

John, in the build video, you do a setup for a flysky system. Has anyone done this for a spektrum radio/receiver yet? Getting close to finishing my F-14 and I’m not quite sure how I’m going to mix the two modes (wings out vs wings in) yet.
Joe

vicentel

Hi JAMplan65, I setup the F-14 on my Spektrum iX20. I setup flight modes and 3 position switch to have a full sweep, mid sweep and no sweep. I was even able to program in flaps, aileron and spoilers depending on the flight-mode/wing-position. Here are some links:

F-14 Completed Build with Flight video

FT F-14 MS Build Thread

My setup is with a 10 channel AS3X receiver.
1. The stabs in the back are setup for elevon mix
2. The wing control surfaces are setup for flaps, spoilers and aileron mix (depending on the flight mode/wing config see below)
3. Throttle on a y-harness, no differential thrust here
4. Rudders installed and setup on a y-harness
5. Setup multiple flight modes (5 in all I believe) and each flight mode has its own set of trims:
5.1 Wings out (no sweep) - Ailerons active - flight mode 1, flaps can be deployed, mid flaps - flight mode 4 and full flaps - flight mode 5
5.2 Wings mid sweep - Ailerons active, flaps deactivated - flight mode 2
5.3 Wings full sweep - Spoilers only, flaps deactivated - flight mode 3

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Hi JAMplan65, I setup the F-14 on my Spektrum iX20. I setup flight modes and 3 position switch to have a full sweep, mid sweep and no sweep. I was even able to program in flaps, aileron and spoilers depending on the flight-mode/wing-position. Here are some links:

FT F-14 MS Build Thread

2. The wing control surfaces are setup for flaps, spoilers and aileron mix (depending on the flight mode/wing config see below)
5. Setup multiple flight modes (5 in all I believe) and each flight mode has its own set of trims:
5.1 Wings out (no sweep) - Ailerons active - flight mode 1, flaps can be deployed, mid flaps - flight mode 4 and full flaps - flight mode 5
Nice flight and you greased the landing, well done!

JAMplan65

FT F-14 MS Build Thread

Thank you sir! I will definitely give it a try 👍🏻

Splinter189

Master member

FT F-14 MS Build Thread

Wow, what an amazing build. I have no I dea how I missed your post. Simply amaxing.

Im glad you were able to answer the spextrum question, I have no experience with it.

vicentel

Wow, what an amazing build. I have no I dea how I missed your post. Simply amaxing.

Im glad you were able to answer the spextrum question, I have no experience with it.

Hi John - Thank you, coming from you means a lot to me. Funny story, during this build, I managed to drop my iX20 and had to send it in for repairs. Now being an avid spektrum user you would think that I would have another spektrum radio as a backup but the only backup radio I have is a 2 year old Jumper T16 (similar to the RadioMaster TX16S) running OpenTX from my quad days. Now I'm not a big fan of OpenTX because I grew up with Futaba, JR, Spetrum etc. So I was not very familiar with the OpenTX OS and its method was foreign to me.

All this to say that I forced myself to learn OpenTX (thanks to your videos and all the other OpenTX training vids on YouTube) and was able to do all the same programming on my OpenTX that I did with my Spektrum. Now I'm a big fan of OpenTX and RadioMaster/Jumper.

Cheers,
Vic

Last edited:

Splinter189

Master member
Just finished up this F5/Mig28 prototype. If weslather cooperates, it will be in the air tomorrow.
20230119_144315-01.jpeg
20230119_144403-01.jpeg
20230119_144222-01.jpeg
20230117_092757-01.jpeg
20230117_092836-01.jpeg
20230113_161542-01.jpeg

Qwenther

Beautiful work as always. Definitely needed to have the opposing fighter for the tomcat. I'm excited to see it flying and painted. Now i gotta go and watch the movie and build the cat at some point, and I'll be humming the soundtrack half the week.

Aslansmonkey

Any chance we can get another SINGLE 70mm edf Jet sometime soon? For those more budget/size conscious.

I'm thinking that new T-7a Redhawk would be nice!

vicentel

Hi John - I did want to get your thoughts on landing gear for your F-18 MS jet. I bought a set of the E-flite F-18 mains and nose gear. All the pictures I've have the main in front of the EDF and the nose gear in front of the battery bay opening...which would force the battery back and into the opening.

Splinter189

Master member
Hi John - I did want to get your thoughts on landing gear for your F-18 MS jet. I bought a set of the E-flite F-18 mains and nose gear. All the pictures I've have the main in front of the EDF and the nose gear in front of the battery bay opening...which would force the battery back and into the opening.

I haven't done any landing gear of jets, I really wouldnt know the best way to go about it. I will say the battery needs to sit pretty far forward to balance out. That said, Since the nose doenst come off, I think it will be much easier than what you did on the F14