Master Series Builds, Past Present and Future.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
My own design. Originally I made a 3D print, not too smoothed, stacked truncated cones so it would look like the rest of the plane. But I wasn't happy with it, too small and pointy.
View attachment 242292
So I wrapped paper around it, scaled it up and cut out patterns from makerfoam.

I documented parts somewhat with photos against a 1" grid. Glued matching former pairs together. The two bigger panels were actually half-panels, translated as a single full part on the board. The nose tip is hand carved pink foam.
View attachment 242293 View attachment 242294 View attachment 242295 View attachment 242296
how did you calculate the skins? also would you mind sharing the cad file (I am guessing fusion360 since most people use it so f3d?) I am just interested how you modelled it as I am looking to make a proper ,master series plane soon

Brian B

Elite member
how did you calculate the skins? also would you mind sharing the cad file (I am guessing fusion360 since most people use it so f3d?) I am just interested how you modelled it as I am looking to make a proper ,master series plane soon
A bit difficult to provide an indepth review of how it can be done, using either old fashion paper drafting techniques, or computer (2D or 3D). But in this case, I made the skins from my actual 3D print, wrapping paper around it. I'm still learning 360, but I did model the 3d part in Inventor. I didn't use any unfolding tools, since I haven't taken the time to learn them yet.
In the example below, you can see the "developed shapes" in 2D (AutoCad) that make up a more simple axi-symmetric torpedo fuselage. Basically numerous trapezoidal shaped panels, with curved tops&bottoms, that individually roll into individual "truncated cones", that stack together to make a fuse. This can be figured out without a computer, with a little thought. I can break down the full details of a cone or two from my planned Republic Rainbow model, if you'd like. A rounded fuse cross section like the P-51, which is taller than it is wide, is significantly harder to do without computers, but the principles are the same.
439084_33eed32c95c2cdee7a57164a9483337f (1).jpg
20230206_202134.jpg

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
A bit difficult to provide an indepth review of how it can be done, using either old fashion paper drafting techniques, or computer (2D or 3D). But in this case, I made the skins from my actual 3D print, wrapping paper around it. I'm still learning 360, but I did model the 3d part in Inventor. I didn't use any unfolding tools, since I haven't taken the time to learn them yet.
In the example below, you can see the "developed shapes" in 2D (AutoCad) that make up a more simple axi-symmetric torpedo fuselage. Basically numerous trapezoidal shaped panels, with curved tops&bottoms, that individually roll into individual "truncated cones", that stack together to make a fuse. This can be figured out without a computer, with a little thought. I can break down the full details of a cone or two from my planned Republic Rainbow model, if you'd like. A rounded fuse cross section like the P-51, which is taller than it is wide, is significantly harder to do without computers, but the principles are the same.
View attachment 242352 View attachment 242353
I would indeed quite like that, as I know and use fusion360, inventor (a little rusty) and autocad(2d)

Brian B

Elite member
I would indeed quite like that, as I know and use fusion360, inventor (a little rusty) and autocad(2d)
I'm proficient with Acad and Inventor, just not the sheet metal module. But I think I'll create a youtube video showing how to do it without CAD, old school with paper, compass, and calculator. With that, I'm sure you'll be able to do it easy in CAD. I hope you can wait a week or two?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I'm proficient with Acad and Inventor, just not the sheet metal module. But I think I'll create a youtube video showing how to do it without CAD, old school with paper, compass, and calculator. With that, I'm sure you'll be able to do it easy in CAD. I hope you can wait a week or two?
thank you

CrshNBrn

Elite member
FT Eddie just replied on another thread "No more F4 Phantoms?" with this message:

Hey Guys,

FYI the Maker Foam store is just a test site not a real store so anything you see there is not real inventory.

As for the Master Series F4. That is cut at John Overstreet's FT Midwest facility. They have been notified of what we are out of.
Once we get them back they will go back on the store.
I am sorry I can give you more info but that is all we know at this time.
We do not have an ETA on when we will have these in stock

Eddie

Flying Farm Kid

View attachment 242352 View attachment 242353
This would be great to have a tutorial for,
I am making a MS plane and I cant figure out how to unwrap,
I am close to breaking down and just doing it manually.

mcmoyer

has anyone modded the plans for the MS Spitfire to have a removable wing. I think I'd fly mine a bit more if it didn't take up my entire car. Plus, it was my first MS build, and I'd only done one previous to that so, let's just say, I've learned a lot since then. I know that Olathe modded the Corsair with a removable wing.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
has anyone modded the plans for the MS Spitfire to have a removable wing. I think I'd fly mine a bit more if it didn't take up my entire car. Plus, it was my first MS build, and I'd only done one previous to that so, let's just say, I've learned a lot since then. I know that Olathe modded the Corsair with a removable wing.
I did one a while back using rubber bands with spectacular results at first. After fixing the spar, I used a velcro strap- it lasted for a long while.

Link to post #81 in Unofficial Spitfire forum thread