Master Series P47 - with flaps and static gear

agates1967

Hi, any news in this thread? I woul be very interested to see and read more adbout this. Currently I am building the P-47 with the slightly adapted plan, not the original one from flitetest..

I will continue to post when I get to work on them some more. Do you have a thread for your build?

Wolfram

Hi, thanks. Your two P-47 are looking great so far.
Sorry, I do not have a thread for my build, since it is not the original plan by Flitetest and I did not know if it will work. But I can attach some fotos. I use Depron (6 and 3 mm) and also some stuff called "Rohacell". It is a little bit stiffer. I have also increased the plan a little bit, so I get a wingspan of about 122 cm.

Attachments

• 2020-01-24 19.39.33.jpg
    2020-01-24 19.39.33.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-01-24 19.39.54.jpg
    2020-01-24 19.39.54.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2020-01-24 19.40.38.jpg
    2020-01-24 19.40.38.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2020-01-24 20.04.36.jpg
    2020-01-24 20.04.36.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
Hi, thanks. Your two P-47 are looking great so far.
Sorry, I do not have a thread for my build, since it is not the original plan by Flitetest and I did not know if it will work. But I can attach some fotos. I use Depron (6 and 3 mm) and also some stuff called "Rohacell". It is a little bit stiffer. I have also increased the plan a little bit, so I get a wingspan of about 122 cm.
That looks GREAT!! 👍👍
Seems sturdier as well. Never worked with anything but DTFB before, so I don't understand completely.
I have seen Julius Perdano's Channel, and he builds amazing Aircraft with 5mm Depron.
It's not readily available around me.

agates1967

Update:
I might have some free time in the coming weeks... This last weekend I did some more assembly on the P47 wing with the gear installed. I un-did the flaps on the wing that I put together without the gear since I don't want to be belly landing with flaps.

I had some heavy-ish music wire, its a little small for the hole in the wheels but I can throw a bushing in there if it needs it.
I bent it so that its about the same length as the wheel fairing piece. The wheels are 2.75 inch, found on eBay.

IMG_20200315_165908.jpg
IMG_20200315_165841.jpg

The top end I bent to fit inside the bracket, with the solid bracket behind. Filled the wire pocket with hot glue when sandwiching everything.
IMG_20200315_170240.jpg
The bracket with the small hole sandwiches the wire inside. The axle bend I put toward the same direction as the top bend. Should help balance the load on the bracket.
IMG_20200315_170837.jpg IMG_20200315_170846.jpg

The wing pattern had an 8 dot pattern that matches the pattern around the bracket. I lined this up and cut a hole in the bottom wing skin for the wire to poke through. (the hole is toward the front of the plane, and on the side closest to the wing tip. because, realism)
IMG_20200315_171323.jpg IMG_20200315_171334.jpg
I stacked two squares of foam board on top so the top wing skin will also support. You can still see my pocket for the flap servo here.
IMG_20200315_171401.jpg

The two gear supports are in, the flap and aileron servos are in. I needed one short extension lead and a Y lead to connect the aileron servos. I have the wing supported on coffee boxes so when I glue on the top skins I can still press down on the top. The gear wires and servo arms need clearance so I can put some good even pressure on the top.
Capture.PNG

This is going to be fun!
Glad to be back in the hobby room!

PoorManRC

Master member
Update:
I might have some free time in the coming weeks... This last weekend I did some more assembly on the P47 wing with the gear installed. I un-did the flaps on the wing that I put together without the gear since I don't want to be belly landing with flaps.

I had some heavy-ish music wire, its a little small for the hole in the wheels but I can throw a bushing in there if it needs it.
I bent it so that its about the same length as the wheel fairing piece. The wheels are 2.75 inch, found on eBay.

View attachment 161939
View attachment 161938

The top end I bent to fit inside the bracket, with the solid bracket behind. Filled the wire pocket with hot glue when sandwiching everything.
View attachment 161940
The bracket with the small hole sandwiches the wire inside. The axle bend I put toward the same direction as the top bend. Should help balance the load on the bracket.
View attachment 161941 View attachment 161942

The wing pattern had an 8 dot pattern that matches the pattern around the bracket. I lined this up and cut a hole in the bottom wing skin for the wire to poke through. (the hole is toward the front of the plane, and on the side closest to the wing tip. because, realism)
View attachment 161946 View attachment 161947
I stacked two squares of foam board on top so the top wing skin will also support. You can still see my pocket for the flap servo here.
View attachment 161954

The two gear supports are in, the flap and aileron servos are in. I needed one short extension lead and a Y lead to connect the aileron servos. I have the wing supported on coffee boxes so when I glue on the top skins I can still press down on the top. The gear wires and servo arms need clearance so I can put some good even pressure on the top.
View attachment 161965

This is going to be fun!
Glad to be back in the hobby room!
AWESOME method of making good looking, sturdy Landing Gear!! I'll have to remember this...

agates1967

Good afternoon quarantinos!
I got one of the P47's all put together now. The one with the wheels and flaps!
I used the small bracket from the plans to attach a tail wheel to the rudder. Time will tell us if it was strong enough.
tail1.jpg
I used a 1 1/4" wheel for the tail.

I gave it a little squirt of paint as well, to add character.

IMG_20200329_153614.jpg

I shot a couple few second videos to show the flaps in action.
You can see the playlist here:
Link to YouTube

I hope to get flying soon, its been a few days since the last snow but it doesn't stick around long.

Wolfram

Looks great! I just had my first flight with my P-47 this evening and it was better than I have expected..! Great fun to see it in the air at last.
Best wishes!

Wolfram

agates1967

Hi, any news in this thread? I woul be very interested to see and read more adbout this. Currently I am building the P-47 with the slightly adapted plan, not the original one from flitetest..

Hi, I haven't had the chance to fly mine yet, the farm I had been going to went under new ownership so we can't use it anymore.
Glad yours is flying nice!