Maxford USA Albatross D. III Assembly Thread

earthsciteach

Just got back from the maiden flight with the Albatross. No, there is no video because I simply reached up and hit the record button (hat cam) instead of taking the hat off and making sure the blinky lights were doing the right thing. :p

Overall, I am really happy with it. It cruises around nicely on about 1/4 throttle. I will definitely be adding some down thrust because it balloons more than I like. I'll probably have to add in some down elevator mix, too. The roll rate is much better than I expected and it doesn't drop its nose, which really surprised me. Loops are a non-issue as it just loves to go nose up! Didn't try inverted flight. The wings are slightly under cambered, so I don't expect much out of it from that aspect.

The winds were gusty and coming over the top of the hill, which always makes things interesting. The plane handled the wind very well for a bipe. However, its still a bipe, so I'm hoping for some calm air around sunset. Maybe I can actually manage a video, too.

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
nice build thread you put together on a wonderful plane and nice flying :applause:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
You were playing both black and red at the same time in roulette, but the spin came up green. The odds were in your favor.

Between the Albatross and your recently "modified" Steerman it looks like you've got a soft spot for bipes. Have you seen the Hobby King Pitts Special? A pretty fun bird and very aerobatic when you use ailerons on both wings.