Micro Quad Build

jipp

Are you using the DYS XM20A ESCs, and if so, have you updated the firmware? From what I was reading over here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2545555 it can make a significant improvement.

Cheers!
LitterBug

<edit>
I see from the link you are using the SN20A not the XM20A.
</edit>

i guess version 2 is the updated software version.. i almost went with these for my martian build but went with little bees pros instead. i am using the xm 10 a with the dys 1104 tho as i just bought the motor.esc/prop kit for 80.00 or so.. in hind sight i wish i would of went with 1304 motors.

chris.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
i guess version 2 is the updated software version.. i almost went with these for my martian build but went with little bees pros instead. i am using the xm 10 a with the dys 1104 tho as i just bought the motor.esc/prop kit for 80.00 or so.. in hind sight i wish i would of went with 1304 motors.

chris.

The difference between V1 and V2 XM20A is the motor wires come soldered to the tabs on V2. All other hardware/software is the same. There is DYS specific XM20A firmware that should be flashed to unlock full potential.

Waiting patiently for my Owl Kit with 1306 4000kv.....

Cheers!
LitterBug

jipp

thanks for that bit of info. its good to know for future reference.. as i do see my self trying them down the road.. especially when a sale goes on.
i know i have 2 sets of Sn ESC i scored when they were on a sale for 6.00 a piece..

also scored some Mr. RC 30A ESC for a 1.40 a piece.. bought 4 of them figure they would be good enough for a cheap project down the
road.
can not say i know who makes Mr. RC ESC but whatever, hard to pass up for a 1.40 :)

look forward to your owl build.. i think you will be happy you went with the 1306 motors.
speaking of waiting.. i ordered a runcam swift FPV camera yesterday at 3pm.. and it was here today.. super fast shipping i must say :D

chris.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
For the time being I am playing with my micro inductrix. My worn out stock motors make it brutally painful to fly FPV with the 4g weight of the camera. It takes almost 90% throttle just to hover. As they heat up, it only gets worse. LOL. Have MMR fast motors on order to fix that.

Cheers!
LitterBug

jipp

morning. yeah iv had to replace the motors twie in my blade nano qx.
it sucks they wear out, but hey i at least get to fly more than i normaly would with out it so
from a skill point of view its worth it.

i have a second blade nano (iv rebuilt and that is the one i plan on adding the micro camera too. )
iv not weigh it so no clue how much it will add to the over all up weight. im still thinking of getting a micro quad you have the indux.. just to mix it up this summer with the blade.. but then i think for 50.00 that cold buy other parts so i do not order one.
laughs.. right now im thinking of buying a iron, and some Top Flite Monokote film, and giving my hand at building a balsa wood plane.
i like to build models so seems like it would be fun.
but i have more reading to do before i take oan a balsa wood project :)

chris.

Darkback2

Not sure what ESC's you were looking at, but I have the DYS 20amp esc's on both my Blade 150 and my martian 230. I put a set on a quad that I built for my nephew. I personally think they do a great job, but I also have limited experience with ESC's. The little bees also look really good, but I have not tried them. Other people seem to like the KISS esc's and from what I have read they sound good to me also. I did use a set of Simon K Afro-slims on my first 250, I did notice a difference between Simon K and BL heli, (I think)...

Best of luck to you!

DB

quadsview

Not sure what ESC's you were looking at, but I have the DYS 20amp esc's on both my Blade 150 and my martian 230. I put a set on a quad that I built for my nephew. I personally think they do a great job, but I also have limited experience with ESC's. The little bees also look really good, but I have not tried them. Other people seem to like the KISS esc's and from what I have read they sound good to me also. I did use a set of Simon K Afro-slims on my first 250, I did notice a difference between Simon K and BL heli, (I think)...

Best of luck to you!

DB
Aren't 20 amp esc's kind of overkill.

Darkback2

Aren't 20 amp esc's kind of overkill.

I guess so?

When I got it Hobbyking recommended these. I even ordered a set, but then I realized the motors I was using maxed out at 8 amps...The 20A DYS BLheli ESCs I am currently using are not noticeably bigger or heavier and only a few dollars more so I guess I sort of just figured why not?

I also wanted to try them at 4s because that was what all the cool kids were doing...I did, but it was my VTX that wasn't up to the job.

DB

jipp

well depends you want a micro system? i bought such for mine.. but i recently bought a micro camera i would use instead.

both can be both from http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_30_33&products_id=5415

but like i said i bought the hobbyking version of this camera. i would use this on a micro build now instead of spending more money on a micro read made rc brand micro camera etc plus vtx.. but readymaderc has all the micro FPV stuff if you do not want to use the all in one micro camera i linked you too.

normally readymaderc is more expensive on some things tho so maybe look around.. but on the micro camera they are spot on and have plenty instock.
chris.

jipp

hard to beat that price.. i just looked and ready made rc does not even have the mini camera/vtx i bought from them listed or in stock anymore. inventory must come and go with them for some items.

what VTX did you use on your 150?

i know im sticking with 180 size adn above.. i just do not have the skill level to be building this micro things.

wityh that said for about 150 bucks you can get a read to fly tarrot 130 now with a naze board and 1104 motors and fpv.. after the parts i bought, that is a fair price i think.. especially if you do not have to mess with soldering the 1104 hair thin wire leads :D

chris.

Last edited:

Darkback2

I have one of these on both of my quads, and have used them on other quads that I have built.

The camera is crap, but with my 150 I swapped it out for that tiny one, and on my 5 inch I swapped it out for the runcam.

I use the 600mw version on my 5 inch.

DB

jipp

anyone know what size the blade induxtrin blade props are? would they slide onto the blade nano qx? could be fun to try some multi blade props. i found the props for 6.00 but it just says for the quad no ware the size.

thanks for the info on the vtx. i think im gonna try a hawker vtx for the martian. i need to buy a vtx for it and i can start building it.

chris.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Patiently awaiting OWL kit. Appears shipping from Canada is not very fast. Last tracking info:
2016/05/21 21:38 USSFOA,USA Item has arrived in foreign country

So it made it over the border and no tracking since. Estimated delivery: 06/01/2016. Ordered a Hellbender 204 in the mean time. Have all the parts and should be together before the owl gets here.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
WOOT! :cool: Owl kit arrived last night! Parts are smooth and well finished with no sharp edges. So far I have only done some mock assembly to determine my preferred layout. Flashed BetaFlight on the controller and updated the ESCs with the most current firmware. Will grab pictures along the way and should have it in the air by the weekend.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Ocean

The XRacer F303 is a good FC. Cheaper than a Naze rev6 and more capable.

Use the RotorX 3040T V2. All other props are just scaled down versions of 5" props, which motors at this size class simply can't drive.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have two F3 variants... SPR F3 acro that came in the OWL kit, and a Dodo. I prefer the Dodo. I would rather have the clean board with through holes for soldering rather than the micro connectors. Especially on a tight micro build. Pretty sure they will fly the same either way. Also pretty sure my APMs would not be the hot ticket for a micro build. ;-)

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited: