Micro Quad Build

quadsview

So I have wanted to make a micro quad for a while now but just haven't got around to it. So I decided that I would bring it to you guys and get some ideas. So I would like to have any suggestions you might have. I have come up with some basic guidelines for this build:

1. 2-3 in. props: http://www.paragonuav.com/rx-3040t-v2-props-2cw-2ccw-white/

2. Brushless motors: http://www.getfpv.com/motors/dys-130...-ccw-pair.html

3. ESC's: http://flyduino.net/KISS-ESC-2-4S-12A-v12_1

4. Flight controller:http://flyduino.net/KISS-FC-32bit-Flight-Controller-V103_1

5. Frame ( 100mm-150mm) PD130 http://properdrone.com/product1.html

6. Vtx: http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-ET200-5_8G-200mW-Mini-Transmitter-p-972618.html

7. Camera:http://www.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0MP-14-2_8mm-CMOS-FPV-170-Degree-Wide-Anlge-Lens-Camera-PALNTSC-p-984345.html

So if anyone has any suggestions on any of these products just let me know.

*This is my first build log so bear with me.

Last edited:

Flat4

What are your goals with it? Are you looking for something for tight indoor flying, or something for outside? Are you confident in your soldering skills, these small builds get tight on real estate, real fast.

quadsview

What are your goals with it? Are you looking for something for tight indoor flying, or something for outside? Are you confident in your soldering skills, these small builds get tight on real estate, real fast.

I would like to be able to do some indoor flying but mainly to do more flying in tighter areas outside. I am fairly confident in my soldering skills but I am trying to find a fine tip that I can put on my soldering iron.

Flat4

I have a few smaller brushless quads, both 150 sized, one using 1104 motors and one on 1407's, both on 3 inch props. I run 3s on the 1104's, and 4s of the 1407's. Imo both are a bit too much of a handful to use as indoor flyers. That is unless you have a somewhat large indoor space. They both behave just fine outside, even in wind, though their lack of mass definitely makes for a different flying experience, compared to my larger builds.

My biggest complaint with the 1104 build is there really isn't any good micro fpv cams out there, at least when you compare them to the sony 0420 or the HS1177. That's where the 1407 builds come in, plenty of power to carry the full sized camera, still small enough for flying in tight spots. You can also squeak them just under the 250g FAA registration limit.

I see that rotorx recently released 1102 motors, which on 2s might just be the ticket for an indoor capable brushless build. I can't speak from experience on these however. Outside of that if you want a true indoor quad, I think brushed is still the way to go.

Let me know what size most fits your needs, and I'll give you some suggestions for components.

Flat4

Neat looking frame, gonna be a really tight build, but because of the size it should be easier to reign in for indoor flying. Not sure where they expect your receiver and vtx to go though. Also looks like it's going to be a challenge to get the CG right, with so much of the frame forward of where the arms meet. Those few points aside, really not a bad looking frame, price is right too, and it should make for a very light build. Weight is extremely important on these 1104/5 builds. Ideally you want it at or under 100 grams.

Just to touch base on this again, the camera they suggest for the build leaves a lot to be desired. Mainly if you plan on ever flying in a lower light scenario. I have one on a brushed build, and even with all the lights on in my house at night, it still defaults to black and white. If that's not an issue, it's a decent camera otherwise.

All the other components they list for their recommended build seem spot on except the vtx. 600mw is overkill for a tiny build like this, not trying to set distance records here. I'd go for a 200mw tx personally, specifically this.

That brings me to another downside of the 1104/5 build, the antenna. You're going to want to solder your own to that vtx, and outside of making one yourself, there are only a few lightweight options. Now you could go with a standard immersion rc/ibcrazy/tbs/aomway cloverleaf, but a 10 gram antenna is really going to cut into your goal of a sub 100g auw. Going with a lightweight antenna will solve this issue at the cost of durability. I use this with a nice coating of epoxy over the lopes, and I've still managed to destroy 2 of them so far. Normally wouldn't be a big deal, but since it's directly soldering to the vtx, you gotta tear the build apart just to repair it.

I know I'm being quite negative, but I just want to share the downsides to a build of this size. Don't get me wrong the thing is an absolute hoot to fly, and was quite fun albeit challenging to build.

Darkback2

I relatively recently built a diatone blade 150 which I love. I originally was thinking that I would use it for both indoor and outdoor flying, but quickly learned that it will gouge nice deep scratches into dry wall...So I have 2 choices. I can fly it outdoors, or in the gym at the school where I work. The gym is big enough that it is practically outdoors. I have a hubsan H107D for indoors but that does seam like a bit much in terms of the number of necessary quads. The OWL you linked above looks pretty awesome for solving the indoor outdoor problem, but it also looks like a pretty tight build.

Best of luck!

DB

quadsview

Neat looking frame, gonna be a really tight build, but because of the size it should be easier to reign in for indoor flying. Not sure where they expect your receiver and vtx to go though. Also looks like it's going to be a challenge to get the CG right, with so much of the frame forward of where the arms meet. Those few points aside, really not a bad looking frame, price is right too, and it should make for a very light build. Weight is extremely important on these 1104/5 builds. Ideally you want it at or under 100 grams.

Just to touch base on this again, the camera they suggest for the build leaves a lot to be desired. Mainly if you plan on ever flying in a lower light scenario. I have one on a brushed build, and even with all the lights on in my house at night, it still defaults to black and white. If that's not an issue, it's a decent camera otherwise.

All the other components they list for their recommended build seem spot on except the vtx. 600mw is overkill for a tiny build like this, not trying to set distance records here. I'd go for a 200mw tx personally, specifically this.

That brings me to another downside of the 1104/5 build, the antenna. You're going to want to solder your own to that vtx, and outside of making one yourself, there are only a few lightweight options. Now you could go with a standard immersion rc/ibcrazy/tbs/aomway cloverleaf, but a 10 gram antenna is really going to cut into your goal of a sub 100g auw. Going with a lightweight antenna will solve this issue at the cost of durability. I use this with a nice coating of epoxy over the lopes, and I've still managed to destroy 2 of them so far. Normally wouldn't be a big deal, but since it's directly soldering to the vtx, you gotta tear the build apart just to repair it.

I know I'm being quite negative, but I just want to share the downsides to a build of this size. Don't get me wrong the thing is an absolute hoot to fly, and was quite fun albeit challenging to build.

Thanks a lot for the links and all the other advice, I'll take it all into account. And ya, I see what you mean about the Vtx and antenna. To be honest, I didn't even know you could get antenna's like that.

jipp

here is one im working on off and on. i went with DYS 1104 xm10A esc, 3" props. its on my bench for rebuild. if i was to buy motors again, i would go with 1306s etc.. the 1104 motors wire lead are a single strand no thicker than a hair. it was such a pain to solder. my first time around i did not solder the motors to the ESC dir as i did not have the skill.. but this time i have develop that skill and have solder the motors dir to the ESC.. so much cleaner. but yeah soldering a single wire was such a pain. heh.

here is the parts list for this build

Insect 120mm carbon frame.
DYS 1104 motors with 3" props.
CC3D 5v,12v PDB
CC3D mini FC (about the size of a us .25 piece. hhe, so small )
RX orange micro sat

and now i will be using a elite 25mw 40ch micro camera ( i originally bought a a micro camera and mini VST from getfpv, but i like the idea of this elite micro 25mw camera ill be able to just Velcro it to whatever frame. and priced 40 bucks or so it was about the same price i paid for small ass camera, and vst. and i get the benefit of saving weight with no antenna etc.. the elite camera juts makes sense for these mini project i think.. )

when i originally hooked up a battery i only had a 3s 1300 which was way to big for it and when it crashed it took out a dys 1104 motor..

so yeah if i was to change anything about this project id go with bigger motors.
after i get this thing built and flying, i think the smallest quad i will ever work on again is 175mm - 180mm ( that is with in my skill level at the point in time )

i do like the insect 120mm frame tho.. its so cute.

some random pictures of my project.
as right now its on my table with the new PDB mounted, and the ESC solder to the 1104 motors. no picture of that yet.

cc3d mini small.png insect 130 small.png
130MM INSECT PARTS.png

40ch vtx.png dys xm10a esc elite 40ch vtx cam.png insect 130 xm10a esc elite micro 40ch cam-vtx.png
chris.

Last edited:

Darkback2

After watching a recent rotor riot video I am now unsure if I know what I like? or what good is...

I am flying the DYS blheli 20 amp escs on my blade 150. I coupled these with DYS 1306 3100 kv motors

I personally am using the Graupner GR-18 flight controller receiver combo, but that isn't a good fit in a lot of situations. I like it because I can use the same radio for both of my "daily" flyers.

Hope this helps.

DB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
After watching a recent rotor riot video I am now unsure if I know what I like? or what good is...

I am flying the DYS blheli 20 amp escs on my blade 150. I coupled these with DYS 1306 3100 kv motors

I personally am using the Graupner GR-18 flight controller receiver combo, but that isn't a good fit in a lot of situations. I like it because I can use the same radio for both of my "daily" flyers.

Hope this helps.

DB

Are you using the DYS XM20A ESCs, and if so, have you updated the firmware? From what I was reading over here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2545555 it can make a significant improvement.

Cheers!
LitterBug

<edit>
I see from the link you are using the SN20A not the XM20A.
</edit>

jipp

if it was me i would go with 1306 motors and stay away from the 1104.. soldering the single hair wire was a pain and seems so fragile.
and i have to agree "better" is a matter of opinion and personal experience..
its all made in china :(
chris.