Mighty mini Bushwacker

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I love flying my E-flite Timber, especially in the snow, and after seeing the bushwhacker episode on Flite Test, I was fascinated about the small space they were flying in. And I really like the mighty mini setup and size. I dont know why nobody has come up with a smaller bushwacker yet, it could be more awesome then you think.
I want to start building today, but I dont just want to scale the plans down, I have some ideas for upgrades which could really add some unique features.
First is going to be a landing gear mount similar to that one on the simple cub and scout. That way I could not only add floats for water and snow, but also a tricycle landing gear by pushing the main gear in the rear slot and adding a nose wheel. This configuration can be found on STOL planes like the Zenith STOL and gives you a different take-off feeling than the taildragger configuration.
Next is going to be the wing: I want to experiment with leading edge slats and turbulators. I will use flaperons because they use just two servos and I want to hinge them like on the Junkers double-wing:
t_Ju52_Doppelfl_gel.jpg
JunkersDoppelfl$FCgel.png
This way it would act like an aileron in flight and like a slotted flap in landing position, which is great for slow flight.
And last is going to be a way of extreme vertical landing. Remember the Vlog with the FT long EZ? They pulled the elevator and it dropped vertically. I found out something similar on a simulator with a 3D shockflyer and did a little aerodynamic research. The trick is to have a thin tail fuse, big elevator (I mean the actual control surface, not the part of the hstab that isnt moving, that should be as small as possible) and lots of throw, so that the tail produces as less drag as possible while going vertically down. lowered flaps may help, too. If this works, it could land really anywhere.

I hope you like my ideas, tell me what you think!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I was thinking about making a mini bushwhacker for a while but I was never able to get to it lol. I can't wait for school to be over so I can start checking planes off of my build list! I already have the parts cut out for a DR1 waiting to be assembled, and I have the plans for a large SE5 printed out and ready to go. Those are my spring break planes lol.

Morgan

I've got the plans printed and cut out but I'm debatingon whether to build a bush mini guinea or that .

Morgan

I ended up building both this is the mini bushwacker .It has about a 28 in. wingspan.

Attachments

• 20180406_192553.jpg
    20180406_192553.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Morgan

Yes I know the one wing is black and one is white bUT I ran out of black foam.☺

Morgan

They both flew great the mini bushwacker was a bit more of a hand full than I had hoped it would be.It does for a sporty fun flyer but it doesn't have the slow handling characteristics that I had hoped but I didn't program that flaperons yet so that will probably help.

krypton

They both flew great the mini bushwacker was a bit more of a hand full than I had hoped it would be.It does for a sporty fun flyer but it doesn't have the slow handling characteristics that I had hoped but I didn't program that flaperons yet so that will probably help.

Any updates on any modifications you did to make the mini bushwacker fly better?
Would love to see a video of it flying.