Mighty Mini DR1 Triplane build

hiroshiman

Cheers everyone!

Rainy days after rainy days. I more or less finished my Simple Scout (I will post a few pictures) and so since I need to wait for a weather change I'm building the Mighty Mini DR1.

I finally managed to cut all the pieces, and I can say that scratch building take a lot of time, but it's quite rewarding at the same time.
Pieces.jpg

I will probably start the build tonight. In the meantimes I'm looking for the parts I need and of course I have a few questions.

I might buy from hobbyking but it's not for sure. In Switzerland we're now automatically charged for customs, and even 25 more CHF if they open your package, which they did last time. I paid 30 CHF for a package that was worse 75.... It's really annoying.

Anyway I ill take Hobbyking as a reference and would like to ask you guys if I'm specs OK, knowing I might take another similar product in another shop.

This motor looks ok but I'm surprised that the Power Pack F has a 2205 2300KV motor but they say in the "Needed to complete" parts on the FF shop it's written: "(1) Brushless Motor: Flite Test F Radial or 2204-2205 Size; 2400kV Minimum." So is it OK with a 2300 ?
Turnigy D2206-2300KV 31g Brushless Motor CCW
These OrangeRx R620X V2 seem quite OK for the price
Definitely this time I need these telemetry cables, but I might just build one
XT30 connectors
HobbyKing 20A ESC 3A UBEC
For the battery probably a 3S 1000 mAH around 30 to 40 C

What do you think ? I already have a few 6g servos, cables and stuff.

Take care guys ! And happy flying

PS : Why do you refer all of your planes as "she"?

FDS

Elite member
That motor will be fine. I use the even cheaper multi star 1806 on all my minis. The 2206 is probably better for the triplane. My sons flies great on the Graupner power pack. My SE5 uses the cheap 1806 and it has plenty of thrust spare. The extra KV will be fine, cruising position just moves down the stick. If it feels like it’s got too much RPM just use a throttle limit on the TX.
I never bother with telemetry for planes, battery voltage is easy and cheap to do with the TX timer.
Weight is a far more important consideration especially in minis. I use the Lemon RX DSMX receivers, 9g, about €15 and really reliable.
I would go with a 3s 850 battery, again weight is more important than the added 150mah.
I run this battery on most of my minis and the DR1.

hiroshiman

That motor will be fine. I use the even cheaper multi star 1806 on all my minis. The 2206 is probably better for the triplane. My sons flies great on the Graupner power pack. My SE5 uses the cheap 1806 and it has plenty of thrust spare. The extra KV will be fine, cruising position just moves down the stick. If it feels like it’s got too much RPM just use a throttle limit on the TX.
I never bother with telemetry for planes, battery voltage is easy and cheap to do with the TX timer.
Weight is a far more important consideration especially in minis. I use the Lemon RX DSMX receivers, 9g, about €15 and really reliable.
I would go with a 3s 850 battery, again weight is more important than the added 150mah.
I run this battery on most of my minis and the DR1.

Thank you for that answer mate. It's the second time you refer to the Lemon receiver, I will have to have a look at it. And I was thinking that some weight differences wouldn't have much of an effect, so this time I will remember your advice, not only at the end of the build ;)

FDS

Elite member
The all up weight of the DR1 is relatively low, I think about 300g. Look at it in percentage terms not numbers. Also lots of small weight additions will stack up to a heavy build, remember our 5mm foam-board is already starting out 40% heavier. Even our 3mm is a little bit more, depending on paper thickness.

hiroshiman

Hey guys, I'm looking around but can't find the Mini firewall plans and mini control horns plans. Why is it not in the blueprints? It was for the Simple Scout

FDS

Elite member
The Simple Scout uses the big firewall and multi position control horns, the Mini Scout uses the mini ones. If you look on EBay UK there’s a seller who does large sheets of firewalls and some control horns laser cut for €6 and ships to the EU.

hiroshiman

The Simple Scout uses the big firewall and multi position control horns, the Mini Scout uses the mini ones. If you look on EBay UK there’s a seller who does large sheets of firewalls and some control horns laser cut for €6 and ships to the EU.
Everything is hand cut my friend, or flying it would be only half as fun :alien:
Plus I bought plywood from the shop you referred to, Cornwall something

hiroshiman

So a little update guys. I've been building until 3 oclock in the morning yesterday and made good progress. I stopped after installing the second wing, they're both well aligned and I feel confident that this plane will turn out well (but then what do I know... just gut feelings). I put the last wing on top just to check how they all aligned and it looks reaaaaally good, and goergeous! That plane is just beautiful.

Hey, I thought about painting it red with a spray can, but I guess I need to work on my planning. You guys do it before mounting the plane don't you ? :unsure: I feel stupid, I was so thrilled to mount it that I completely forgot :p I'll manage to do a bit of spraying anyway.

So for my fellow newbies, here is the specs and parts:
3mm european foamboard
MultiStar V-Spec 1808-2400KV Multi-Rotor Motor (CCW)
HXT500 Micro Servo 0.8kg / 0.07sec / 6.2g
Hobbyking 20A ESC 3A UBEC
Diatone Bull Nose Plastic Propellers 6 x 4.5 (CW/CCW) (Red) (2 Pairs)
OrangeRx R610V2 Lite DSM2 Compatible 6CH 2.4GHz Receiver w/CPPM (Version 2)
ZIPPY Compact 850mAh 3S 35C Lipo Pack
Turnigy Nano-Tech 850mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack
Light Foam Wheel 5 spoke (Diam: 65mm, Width 10mm) (2pc)

Obviously I will need to change the battery connectors. I couldn't find XT30 connectors so I will do everything with XT60.
FDS I really want to try the lemon receivers but since I had quite a few things to buy I couldn't afford buying just one item from another shop. It seems we can only find it in the US, I checked a lot of shops but couldn't find them. And I had to order everything from the HK warehouse.

Now for a few pictures.
Controls.jpg

I had to double the doublers o_O:LOL:
Doublers.jpg

Firewall and horns.jpg

2wings.jpg

3wings.jpg

Looking Good.jpg

See you at the next episode :cool:

FDS

Elite member
Looking great, well done.
Lemon receivers are available on EBay UK, most sellers ship to Europe. The Orange RX ones are ok.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Any updates? Get a chance to fly? Also, the "she" thing for planes is sort of an anachronism, sort of an old historical way most in the "biz" would refer to a ship or aircraft as a "she". A lot of people here use "she" interchangeable with "it", "the plane", "the bird" the "ship", etc.

hiroshiman

Hey hey @Vimana89 ! Perfect timing my friend. I have been working on it this week-end and It's more or less finished. I just need to hook up the electronic and "she" will be ready to fly. Thanks for the explanation by the way ;)

It's been raining here anyway. What saddens me is that I have to wait until the next week-end to fly it because the sun goes down pretty early nowadays, and I don't have a car...

I am very pleased with the overall build, everything is well aligned and I feel confident that it will fly well. About the electronic side, I still have to switch the 2 batteries connectors from JST to XT60, solder the XT60 on the ESC, bullet connectors, and switch the 2mm bullet connectors of the motor for 4 mm bullet connectors. Not much actually. I couldn't check the CG yet.

On the booboo side, I kinda forgot that there was going to be a wheel wing, and after gluing the wire to the plane, the gear struts to the wire, I had to fight to change their angle... there is a bit of tension down there, but anyway... And on the motor, the connectors don't align to the hole in the firewall, they're on the othe side... So I need to do a new power pod, that won't take long.

I'm super happy with the color theme, even though i messed up the cross a bit on the rudder.

She wants to fly and terrorise butterflies.

Here's the pictures!

Up.jpg

side.jpg

Face.jpg

Crane.jpg

Up2.jpg

Last edited:

hiroshiman

Now that I see it in picture I wonder if the skulls shouldn't be the other way around :unsure: It just seemed normal to me to point them in this direction :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That's a really good looking DR1! You're going to love the maiden. Just be soft on the sticks, as the DR1 is highly maneuverable and almost twitchy. It's one of those planes that just looks really good in the air. There's just something special about a triplane zooming around in the sky.

It ground launches really well, too. It'll take off almost immediately, but there'll likely be a bit of torque roll. It's not a big deal if you're ready for it. Good luck with the maiden!

hiroshiman

Looks great! I think the skulls would look good in either direction, so there's no "wrong way".
Fair enough. I wondered if there was some kind of "standard"

That's a really good looking DR1! You're going to love the maiden. Just be soft on the sticks, as the DR1 is highly maneuverable and almost twitchy. It's one of those planes that just looks really good in the air. There's just something special about a triplane zooming around in the sky.

It ground launches really well, too. It'll take off almost immediately, but there'll likely be a bit of torque roll. It's not a big deal if you're ready for it. Good luck with the maiden!
I've watched quite a few videos, they look amazing when they fly. It also always look like they're flying quite slowm which is good for me. I put the large wheels on it, I hope I'll manage to ground take off. And maybe land ? It would kill me to destroy it, but hey... Got to be ready for that too.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I cut the positive image from out of a cereal box and tape that to the surface, that way I can use the same image over and over again.

hiroshiman

@FDS you told me recently how to hand throw the simple scout. I might maiden the triplane today but I might not be able to ground take off from this spot. With the same multistar 2400v motor that you use, how much throttle would you put to throw it ? I already setup a bit of subtrim, 30% expo, I think the plane is a bit tailheavy (seems that I'm cursed) but moving the battery upward should do the trick. I don't want to add weight since you told me this plane is sensitive to that. I weighted it at 415gr with the 850mAh battery.