Mighty "Mini" PBY-5A Catalina - WWII Flying Boat

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I really can't wait for this. The head tracking + a scale cockpit will be absolutely epic.

It worked very well on the Sea Duck. I need to order some more WR Foam board before I can build another Giant PBY. I'm down to 6 sheets and need 24. :) maybe I need a couple cases....

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Halloween is coming maybe you could dress up as a medieval street urchin and go to Fite test... Foam for the poor Foam for the poor. excuse me good sir but could you spare some foam for a poor builder down on his luck?

Worked well when I was taking my nephews trick or treating.. beers for the poor... beers for the poor. They would bring back half a pillow case of candy I would bring two full of beers.. not to mention all the shots on the way. (I would do this dressed as Slash from Guns n Roses and on warm years would actually bring a guitar with me which boosted the take home balance greatly}

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Halloween is coming maybe you could dress up as a medieval street urchin and go to Fite test... Foam for the poor Foam for the poor. excuse me good sir but could you spare some foam for a poor builder down on his luck?

Hah, might be able to get away with it on Halloween. Normal days though, I'm too big and hairy to pull off the street urchin look. They'd probably skip the "hit it with a stick" stage and just shoot me. :D

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
MicroRCpilot on RC Groups built one of these using 6mm depron and did a really nice job on it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2609310&page=8#

PBY-5_20160917.jpg

Here's his setup:

Two motors with 1400kv (A2208/14T)
Two 3-blade propellers (7x4, MAS)
Two ESC 20A
One 2200mAh battery
Four 9gram Servo

Weight: 1.2kg
Flighttime: 10 min

I'm betting it can really move with those 3 bladed props and bigger motors.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Was that build done from your plans? The main wing looks different for one or is it just that depron folds different that is throwing me off?

Anyway its got to feel good someone emulating you for what you worked on and achieved huh.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think i'll build one as soon as I get a chance. When can we see pictures of the build?

:)

Not sure if you are kidding or not but I'll say it anyway. You are in the build thread. Start at page one and enjoy the process Localfiend went thru to get us this awesome plane.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Was that build done from your plans? The main wing looks different for one or is it just that depron folds different that is throwing me off?

It's built off my plans. Wing is the new more scale version like on the Giant PBY, and yeah, looks like the depron didn't fold up quite the same way. No paper on depron so he was able to sand a lot of the edges and get some nice smooth curves and such on other parts.

I think i'll build one as soon as I get a chance. When can we see pictures of the build?

Not sure if you are kidding or not but I'll say it anyway. You are in the build thread. Start at page one and enjoy the process Localfiend went thru to get us this awesome plane.

Yup, I think I have pictures of how pretty much every part is assembled if you go through the thread. If anyone has a question on any specific part I can clarify.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer

Somehow, I've been watching this thread for a while but missed 20+ pages. Whoops!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Just ordered foam from Graupner... time to plan the build! 2205 2300KV motors on 3S lipo are enough?

Sweet. I think it's really cool that Flitetest figured out how to get there stuff over there more cheaply. I used a couple 2204 2300kv motors on 3s and it had lots of power so you'll be just fine.

Sweet. I think it's really cool that Flitetest figured out how to get there stuff over there more cheaply. I used a couple 2204 2300kv motors on 3s and it had lots of power so you'll be just fine.

Have another question, do I need differential thrust? (I only have three mixes on my radio, so a F3/CCD3 has to be ordered as well if it's a requirement)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Have another question, do I need differential thrust? (I only have three mixes on my radio, so a F3/CCD3 has to be ordered as well if it's a requirement)

In the air rudder is very effective, and I'm hoping it also does well on water with the new hull design. Differential thrust is fun but I don't think it's actually necessary. I need to actually finish another one and test it out. I seem to say that a lot lol. :cool:

I used differential thrust on the Giant PBY at Flite Fest. Made some really, really tight turns with it enabled.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
It's been a while, any new developments? It's getting to be "building season" here in the states; I really want to put together one of these, I just want to know if the plans are going to change soon.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
It's been a while, any new developments? It's getting to be "building season" here in the states; I really want to put together one of these, I just want to know if the plans are going to change soon.

Funny you should ask. Was just trying to get things together last night to see what it would take to make a build video.

buildvideo.png

I need a longer HDMI cable for my go-pro but I think it will end up working even if it's a bit cumbersome. Don't want to predict a time for the build video though. It's going to take a lot of work to do and I have a bunch of other projects to finish.

I don't think anything big will change on the plans. The base airframe is solid. Only thing that might change are nose parts which I plan to update for this build. Gonna see if I can't make it look better.

Also, something that's pretty awesome, FT is working on 50% thickness water resistant foamboard. Check out this video:

https://www.facebook.com/flitetest/videos/1227595263973045/

Once released it will be super awesome for covering stuff as a posterboard replacement. The whole upper decking of the PBY made out of this would be awesome. Lightweight, much easier to bend, waterproof etc..

Funny you should ask. Was just trying to get things together last night to see what it would take to make a build video.

View attachment 76648

I need a longer HDMI cable for my go-pro but I think it will end up working even if it's a bit cumbersome. Don't want to predict a time for the build video though. It's going to take a lot of work to do and I have a bunch of other projects to finish.

I don't think anything big will change on the plans. The base airframe is solid. Only thing that might change are nose parts which I plan to update for this build. Gonna see if I can't make it look better.

Also, something that's pretty awesome, FT is working on 50% thickness water resistant foamboard. Check out this video:

https://www.facebook.com/flitetest/videos/1227595263973045/

Once released it will be super awesome for covering stuff as a posterboard replacement. The whole upper decking of the PBY made out of this would be awesome. Lightweight, much easier to bend, waterproof etc..

Any update on the plans? Video and description is optional. :)
Have everything at home except RX, the rest is here looking at me...

The Catalina will make an excellent snow/ice plane until the spring comes back.

Jordan3367

Hey LocalFiend, can you post dxf CnC files for this plane?
I've tried converting the jpg files but it is not working for me. :(
I'd love to build this plane.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hey LocalFiend, can you post dxf CnC files for this plane?
I've tried converting the jpg files but it is not working for me. :(
I'd love to build this plane.

Yeah, you don't want to use the jpegs of the plans anyway. There are pdf's of the most current plans at the bottom of the first post on page one. Open the pdf in inkscape, make any changes you need for your cnc setup, then save it as a dxf.