Resource icon

Mighty Mini Sea Duck 1.2

Please log in to download

Horseman3381

Horseman3381 submitted a new resource:

Mighty Mini Sea Duck - 60% version of FT Sea Duck

View attachment 238761

At Flite Fest 2019 there was a gentleman who was flying around a 60% Sea Duck he had built. He didn’t have plans for it and told me he had just printed out a set of scaled down plans and “winged it” as he was building. Ever since I saw it, I knew I one day needed to build one.

Last fall I decide to modify the plans and build one for myself. I have gone through 3 variations of the plane to date, and believe I have all the kinks worked out.

The plane...

Read more about this resource...

joelspangler

Always wanted to build a sea duck, but without detachable wings, I wouldn't be able to transport it anywhere. I wound up building the guinea pig instead, even though I didn't get the nostaligic feeling. This smaller version of the sea duck should fit in the back seat of a car... will probably build one this winter. Thanks!

Horseman3381

Building now. Plans and 3d printer files look great!
That is great to hear. It has been my favorite plane for a while now, so I hope you have fun with it.

If you find any issues with the plans let me know so I can get them corrected. I have built it a few times, but would appreciate input from someone else.

Horseman3381

Always wanted to build a sea duck, but without detachable wings, I wouldn't be able to transport it anywhere. I wound up building the guinea pig instead, even though I didn't get the nostaligic feeling. This smaller version of the sea duck should fit in the back seat of a car... will probably build one this winter. Thanks!
I put mine in the passenger seat of my car occasionally, so it will defiantly fit in the back seat of a car with plenty of room to spare.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just finished mine, nice job on the plans! I tried to pick the perfect day for it's maiden - 10 mph winds with gusts. But, hey, I'd just finished it so it needed to fly! One circuit and down in one piece.

Last edited:

Horseman3381

Just finished mine, nice job on the plans! I tried to pick the perfect day for it's maiden - 10 mph winds with gusts. But, hey, I'd just finished it so it needed to fly! One circuit and down in one piece.

Thanks! It is exciting to see someone build and fly the plane.

I have had many maidens that were done in non-optimal weather because I just don't want to wait, so I can relate. Hopefully you will have some calmer days to fly it in the near future.

Horseman3381

u sayn it uses 2 sheets of foamboard , how big is 1 sheet? i need for tiling purposes
The PDF's are 22"x34", but the layout on the paper is for 20"x30" foamboard sheets.

Also, it is 3 sheets of foamboard.

If you find any issues with the plans while building let me know. I am spoiled and have access to a plotter, so have never dealt with tiled plans. If you find something I can tweak to help accommodate tiling them let me know.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Here it is with some decoration.

FUMZ3945 - Copy.JPG

TommyG_FPV

Does anyone have video of it in action? I LOVE my Sea Duck and am extremely interested in this.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Can anyone share tiled pattern for this build? Does anyone have video of it in action? I LOVE my Sea Duck and am extremely interested in this.

If I take the AIO plans to FedEx will I be able to get them printed there?

Thank you!!!
For video see post #10 in this thread.

TommyG_FPV

@Horseman3381 Is the wing spar an A or B fold in this build? And to confirm, when you say "This should be mounted with the U spar in the upright orientation." this means with the wing down on the table, it is glued with the U upright?