Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I have a $200 MP Select Mini

153651.jpg

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/15365

It's a great little printer for the price and has a 120x120mm bed

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I have the V1 version, and an early version of that to boot, which had a few problems one would have to remedy before it was good. I like it because I live in a smallish apartment and space is a real issue. It's a nice little desktop sized 3D printer that's great for experimenting and learning, but if I had the space and interest, I would probably get a larger printer for more bang vs buck. The 100x100 print area is great for small prints and scaled down large prints (I'll print something 50% scale or smaller just to check before going with a bigger print job).

I think it'd make a good start, but then again, why collect 3D printers like RC planes? I knew I would never be getting a bigger printer while living where I am, so I am content with it. If I need larger prints, I go to my University library and pay for a larger print after sorting out the job using my TinyBoy/minifabrikator.

I do like how they have it updated with a heated print bed so it can better print with more than just PLA.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Does it have a parts cooling fan? Can't really tell from the specs or the pictures. If it doesn't, getting good PLA print quality will be rather difficult.

Print area is also quite small. You might do ok just printing accessories, but you're not going to be able to print planes. The fact that it has built in WiFi is pretty cool though.

ETA: Yup, it has a parts cooling fan.

Parts it's printing out in the video aren't perfect, but it's very very good for the price. If build volume wasn't so small it might be useful as a second machine. When I'm prototyping parts it always seems as if I'm waiting on the printer more than anything else.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Considering you can get a "fullsize" 200x200 heated bed prusa clone for <$300 it seems kind of limited to me for the price. It does seem like some nice improvements over the original tinyBoy/fabrikator. But the price just seems too high for what you get to me. The MP Select Mini seems like a lot more value for the price (even though I'm not a fan of cantilevered setups or bowden extruders) but I'd rather just save up a few more bucks and go for a full 200x200 machine. I've maxed out the build volume on my Folger 2020 i3 enough times that I know I use it. And I have a few projects waiting for parts that won't fit on the 200x200 and are waiting on me to strap a print head to my MPCNC to finish.

Admittedly...for a 200x200 machine <$300 you'll be assembling it yourself and have quite a learning curve. But I suspect the fabrikator is also going to have a fairly steep learning curve. And in this forum it's probably fairly safe to assume most participants are rather handy and capable of building their tools ;)