Mini Quad Receiver options for Spektrum users

My next build is going to be an Alien 6" frame mini quad. I am very much aware that the current transmitter/receiver of choice for such a mini quad (as well as all other race/freestyle frames) is FrSky (Taranis) products. However, about 6 months ago I upgraded from my old Spektrum DX6i to the newest version of the DX8. I do not (at least at this time) want to purchase another transmitter just to follow the status quo for my major step into the mini quad arena. But I have not seen any videos or articles related to mini quad builds that address Spektrum (or compatible) receiver options. I realize that Spektrum is behind the curve in this area compared to FrSky but (even if not perfect) there must be options out there. I am open to hear any thought that anyone has to share on this topic be it receivers from Spektrum, Orange, Lemon or any other that I am not aware of. Let me know what you are doing.

Also,,,,,I believe that I have found a couple of options from Spektrum but I am:

#1. Not experienced enough to know if either is a useable option for an Alien build using a KISS FC and ESC's,,,,,Or,,,,

#2. What is the difference between the two. Are they standalone receivers or are they used together (and I hesitate to call spektrum or horizon because just don't want a sales pitch)

Here is what I found:

spm4648: https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...-NzNIrynDO9lUZArR0Yg2zs9J7z5MImBoCQHMQAvD_BwE

spm9646: https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...tHzgWneLkxY8-dHnveTr5yuAvE2-bWsxoCIEUQAvD_BwE

I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks all in advance.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
When I was flying my miniquad with Spektrum (actually OrangeRX), the best thing to use was a satellite receiver. That is basically the second option you linked. It is made to connect to a normal pwm/ppm receiver and be mounted in a different location, like outside a fuselage that may cause reception issues. But alone a satellite receiver still has full range and communicates with a serial connection (3 wires). Planes can't use satellite receivers alone as the RX, but flight controllers can. So you can just buy a satellite receiver and bind it to your TX through the FC and get going.

The first option you link looks like a satellite receiver rebranded as a quad receiver. It may have some tweaks to make it better as a stand alone unit, like maybe longer range, and diversity compared to the second option. Compared to this LemonRX satellite I am not sure the difference. The transmitter gurus may be able to help out.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Spektrum was actually ahead of the curve in the early days, their satellite receivers were the first to use a serial protocol. There are both Orange and Lemon satellites that work well, at least in terms of RF performance. I've had 2 of each go bad on me in the last month, although that could just be bad luck. The Spektrum ones may be better, at least you'll have Horizon support behind you.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have been running both the LemonRX LM0037 diversity satellite found here and the Spectrum SPM4648 diversity satellite Found Here. Both have worked flawless for me except for when I have chopped the antennas with my props..... I have managed to find replacement antennas for both too which is cheaper than replacing the whole RX.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited: