Mini RB-57D

For a while I've been wanting to build something with a real long reach like a reconnaissance aircraft or certain bombers, but I've been keeping my builds at up to 30" wingspan. At that size it makes the fuselage too small and the wing loading too great. Now I've put together something that'll work.

B-57.png WB-57D_and_B-57A_in_flight_1950s.jpg

RB-57D
32" wingspan
Twin 1406-3100Kv motors

I don't need for it to be dead-on scale, it just has to look believable. My wingspan is a bit short in relation to the fuselage, and I think the chord is greater. It'll be a really tight fit inside the fuse but I think it'll work. And the tailfins are bigger.

2020-10-04 103109.png IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1222.JPG

Timmy

Legendary member
For a while I've been wanting to build something with a real long reach like a reconnaissance aircraft or certain bombers, but I've been keeping my builds at up to 30" wingspan. At that size it makes the fuselage too small and the wing loading too great. Now I've put together something that'll work.

View attachment 180525 View attachment 180526

RB-57D
32" wingspan
Twin 1406-3100Kv motors

I don't need for it to be dead-on scale, it just has to look believable. My wingspan is a bit short in relation to the fuselage, and I think the chord is greater. It'll be a really tight fit inside the fuse but I think it'll work. And the tailfins are bigger.

View attachment 180528 View attachment 180529 View attachment 180530
You peeps find the coolest planes.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
yeah same. Here Monte, to make things go faster, just say to yourself "eh, that's good enough" trust me the build process will take no time at all! You flight won't last long either. Its how you speedrun the hobby.
Do what I do for prototypes, make one side look pretty so the early pictures look good. Then when you fly it nobody will be able to tell. I did it on the first F-22. I only finished the top of the intakes. The bottoms were completely missing, and the opposite side was a complete bodge. But it was good enough to fly it and build interest for the plane at the same time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Then on the next F-22 I'll finish it completely and post pictures from much more angles.

Slowly but surely.

IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1233.JPG IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1237.JPG

These nacelles will also have top plates at the back side of the wing, similar to the ones on the front. I wanted to build the motor mounts before gluing it all to the wing. (The white FB.)

Ok so I'm getting pretty darn tired of building motor nacelles that mold to the wing. But they look so cool. Pain in the empennage.
For my next build I've made a lot of simple design decisions based on the magic word, "simplify".

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Slowly but surely.

View attachment 181153 View attachment 181154 View attachment 181155 View attachment 181156

These nacelles will also have top plates at the back side of the wing, similar to the ones on the front. I wanted to build the motor mounts before gluing it all to the wing. (The white FB.)

Ok so I'm getting pretty darn tired of building motor nacelles that mold to the wing. But they look so cool. Pain in the empennage.
For my next build I've made a lot of simple design decisions based on the magic word, "simplify".
Whatever pain the may have caused, it certainly pays off! That looks outstanding!!

Whatever pain the may have caused, it certainly pays off! That looks outstanding!!
Yeah it sure does! i don't care if you're in pain, but need to see that fly! :p
Aw gee wiz you guys. Thanks so much. But I think they'll need to up my medication if I keep this up.

We learn as we go. The way I stacked the wing spar on this one, I figured out I can get bamboo sticks in there. Here it is with the holes, I still need to glue in the bamboo.
IMG_1242.JPG

jfaleo1

Do what I do for prototypes, make one side look pretty so the early pictures look good. Then when you fly it nobody will be able to tell. I did it on the first F-22. I only finished the top of the intakes. The bottoms were completely missing, and the opposite side was a complete bodge. But it was good enough to fly it and build interest for the plane at the same time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Then on the next F-22 I'll finish it completely and post pictures from much more angles.
Airline and charter aircraft trick... only wash the “revenue side” (the side of the plane where the door is) so that it looks good but the rest of the plane looks like crap since the labor required to clean them is expensive “with limited benefit”. 🤣

Quinnyperks

Legendary member

View attachment 180525 View attachment 180526

RB-57D
32" wingspan
Twin 1406-3100Kv motors

View attachment 180528 View attachment 180529 View attachment 180530
Looks like a mix of a beau fighter and a mossie.