Mini Scout to Junker D-1?

synjin

Elite member
I was browsing the web and ran across the Junker D-1 (once again). And, since I was working on my Mini Scout today, I noticed that they have the same general outline.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3180&cat=1

If you modified the tail boom and put a turtle deck on the back and dropped the wing... I think I'd try a KFm 2 wing instead of an under-camber wing (going to put a KFm 2 into a Mini Scout just to see how it works). Thinking about it, I guess you'd have to have a top hatch with the low wing to put in the gear.

Would you have to drop the power pod a little with the low wing?

Hmm... Maybe after I finish the scratch build Mini Arrow.

Sheriff

Here is a challenge for you; use corrugated cardboard to get that distinctive Junker look. THAT would be a project worth spending time on. :)

For the low wing, I suggest strapping it with rubber band so you get easy access to the electronics. Just like you would do with the FT Storch, but reversed. BONUS: rubber-band won't be as much of an eye-sore when hidden under the aircraft.

Au revoir
Gui

synjin

Elite member
Well, funny you should say that. I had this piece of really clean cardboard and was thinking of making a plane out of it. It's just that I have 4 other aircraft in front of it at this point. A Mini Scout with a KFm2 wing (needs electronics and landing gear and figure out whether the change in wing changes the CG), a Mini SE5 (half way through the build), an Mini Sportster in pieces, and a Spear in pieces.

After working on the SE5, I was thinking it might be a better base than the Mini Scout for the Junker.

Hmm... So little time, so many projects.

Sheriff

I see. In that case, Don't spread yourself too thin. Let us rejoin once your plate is empty.

Happy building !
Gui

synjin

Elite member
Before working on the SE-5 I glued this together and put some acrylic varnish on it to smooth it out. It's a Sportster wing with a D-1 outline.
IMG_2886.jpg

Sheriff

Beautiful ! Simply beautiful. Makes me dream of building a Ford Tri-Motor using this material...

Is it slightly heavier than traditionnal foamcore? Or would it double, triple the weight?

au revoir
Guillaume

synjin

Elite member
The foam core parts for the Mini Sportster wing weigh 44g and the wing pictured weighs 50g. Not a lot of difference.

Sheriff

Nice! So cardboard construction IS an option. Very cool.

And how about this model featured in the adventures of Tintin? Polikarpov I-1
It's almost the same shape as the Junker D-1, including the corragated steel skin, but with even simpler shapes.

If find the Junker D-1 more attractive, but the more time I spend designing/constructing an aircraft, the less relax I am when flying it.

How about you? Would you go for simplicity of beauty?

au revoir
Guillaume

Attachments

• 44e57dc7a004d7adaa26c2eb6573434d.jpg
    44e57dc7a004d7adaa26c2eb6573434d.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 8629_0.jpg
    8629_0.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0