• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mini Sea Duck

I would like to build a Mini Sea Duck but I've never cut my own foam. I've only build a mini Arrow and a mini Dart and I got the foam pre-cut from Flitetest . I'm guessing that I would get the plans from Flitetest and shrink them down and cut them by hand, right? My problem is that I don't know how to do this so I was wondering if anyone here could give me some pointers. What software applications do you use to shrink plans down? Do you cut the foam by hand or is there an online service that would cut it for me if I sent the the plans? Sorry for the newbie questions. I've never scratch built like this before.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I would like to build a Mini Sea Duck but I've never cut my own foam. I've only build a mini Arrow and a mini Dart and I got the foam pre-cut from Flitetest . I'm guessing that I would get the plans from Flitetest and shrink them down and cut them by hand, right? My problem is that I don't know how to do this so I was wondering if anyone here could give me some pointers. What software applications do you use to shrink plans down? Do you cut the foam by hand or is there an online service that would cut it for me if I sent the the plans? Sorry for the newbie questions. I've never scratch built like this before.
You can scale the plans when you print by changing the scale in acrobat reader for the print.

Next you cut out the pieces and score the fold lines. If you have a balsa stripper then you can do the fold channels using the balsa stripper with it set to the material thickness.

It works for me!

Have fun!

I was going to start this project but I realized that I have no idea what type of foam to use. I did order from rcfoam.com back in the day but they seem to have gone out of business. Does anyone know where I can get foam that would be suitable for a project like this? Flitetest does sell foamsheets, but the sheets are only 20"x30". The wingspan for this plane is going to be about 1 meter so I would probably need 30"x40" sheets of foam. Would 5 mm foam be too thick? Or would 3mm be more suitable for a project of this size? Where do people get foam for their scratch builds these days?

SquirrelTail

I was going to start this project but I realized that I have no idea what type of foam to use. I did order from rcfoam.com back in the day but they seem to have gone out of business. Does anyone know where I can get foam that would be suitable for a project like this? Flitetest does sell foamsheets, but the sheets are only 20"x30". The wingspan for this plane is going to be about 1 meter so I would probably need 30"x40" sheets of foam. Would 5 mm foam be too thick? Or would 3mm be more suitable for a project of this size? Where do people get foam for their scratch builds these days?
The 20x30 foam is fine. The wings were designed to be built in halves, so it works. I get my foam from the dollar store.

When you get hoing on it; I for one, would love to see what you come up with. I've got a friend that wants to build the full size from the speed kit. I think it would be hilarious to show up with a scratch built mini-duck (or 3) if they fly ok.

Hondo76251

Mini sea duck does sound like a good idea!

I use dollar tree foam board mostly. I've found it at some Walmart's too just watch that you get the lighter foam board stuff and not the heavy kind.

At a dollar a sheet dont be scared to just start cutting away!

A good cutting board helps a lot and I prefer the small (pencil sized) exacto knives with the #11 blade...

Here's a build video I did with a design I just sorta made up as I went... I doubt you'll need the hand shaped airfoil wing or the carbon fiber spars but it should demonstrate that it doesn't take much to build something out if foam board even without a speed build kit!