Mini Versa Wing

dunderchief

Mini Versa Wing.jpg Mini Versa Wing AUW.jpg

I had the idea to put this together about a week ago. I wanted something I could throw in my car without having to fold down the back seats. I like the looks of the TBS Caipirinha and the Ritewing Mini Z so I thought I'd try my hand at making a similar sized wing from the spare parts bin. (Looks like the Caipi and Mini Z are 34" and 30" so this is a bit smaller.)

PARTS:

Motor: RCX 1804 2400kv - This one has been through a bad crash on a mini-quad and I had to glue a magnet back on.
Prop: 5x4.5 - Cheapo from MyRCMart
ESC: Hobby King 30A - Overkill but it's what I had on hand.
Battery: Zippy Compact 3s 850mAh + 1xAA for nose weight.
Servos: Turnigy 9g - Probably too big/heavy but I've had some bad luck with smaller servos used on the Mighty Minis.

The build is just like the Versa Wing Pusher conversion. The only thing I did different is cut a notch ~1.5 - 2 inches in the back so I could move the motor mount forward. My scratch builds are always tail heavy, probably too much hot glue.

The plans are scaled down 62% from the original Versa Wing. I wanted it to come in at a 24 inch wing span. With the "Bunny Ear" winglets the total wingspan is 23.75 inches. Pretty close!

The motor mount is basically a Might Mini power pod glued on backwards.

It balances at the CG marks for the original Versa. We'll see if that works for the maiden which will hopefully be tonight.

dunderchief

The Maiden

Weather Conditions: Sunny, Mid 70s, Wind 10-15 mph
Dual Rates: 50%
Expo: 30%

I would consider the maiden to be a success. On the initial launch the plane went straight into the dirt. I dusted it off checked my C.R.A.P. and launched again. This time the little dude took right to the air. I did two quick patterns, a loop and brought it in for a landing.

On the second flight my son wanted to take the controls. As he was about to slip in and run the throttle I was preoccupied with what he was doing and the thing right into the ground with a hearty smack. On inspection we had a broken prop a couple creases on the foam around the nose and the top seam where the wings join came apart (this was my fault, I forgot to tape it). Repairs were quick and easy: hot glue and tape.

Things to change for next time:
  1. Move CG Forward. Not sure if it was the wind but it seemed a little squirrely.
  2. Dial down rates even more. Possible squirrely-ness
  3. Switch to 5x3 prop. This thing moves with the 5x4.5.
  4. Not fly facing West in the late afternoon/evening. Blinded by the light.

I have built one at about 65% and also made it into a blunt nose version. It flys great but is a bit underpowered, should have used a bigger motor. I have a full sized blunt noe and they fly just alike.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I have built one at about 65% and also made it into a blunt nose version. It flys great but is a bit underpowered, should have used a bigger motor. I have a full sized blunt noe and they fly just alike.

What motor did you use? I am planning to build a 70% with the EMAX 1806 and running 3s(if I can fit the battery). I tried a 50% using a Eflite SBach motor, that didn't go well.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I built a 70% blunt nose, maidened it today and I agree, flies just as great as the full size!

I used a Emax 1806 CCW motor, 12A ESC and ran 6x4.5 prop and 1300mAh 3s battery. The battery is a snug fit with the foam peeled off the door for it.

IMG_20150610_213151972_HDR_zpslnaji5nw.jpg

Video from the first flights, from 808 #16, a little out of focus :(

ExperimentalRC

How does it handle flying slow? I have no idea how to scale plans, and I don't really feel like learning how, so could someone please post some scaled plans, or just give me some dimensions so I can build my own. Nice job with those builds.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
How does it handle flying slow? I have no idea how to scale plans, and I don't really feel like learning how, so could someone please post some scaled plans, or just give me some dimensions so I can build my own. Nice job with those builds.

All I did was take the full plans and print in adobe reader, choosing 70% scale. Adobe did all the work :)

It flies great slow and fast.